Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Many thanks to you all. I'll try  and see if it works on my Sony T3.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #17
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hi Alex;

Try using the following code:

1. In your .css stylesheet:

Code:
.nowrap {
    text-indent: 0;
    display: inline-block;
}
2. In your .xhtml files

Code:
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla ac tellus nunc. Etiam <span class="nowrap">T—</span> imperdiet leo metus, et gravida lacus.  Donec metus ligula, elementum at pellentesque pellentesque, suscipit ac nunc. Etiam lobortis, massa ac aliquam auctor, augue nisl sagittis urna, at dapibus tellus erat ullamcorper ligula. Praesent orci dui, pulvinar id convallis a, faucibus non mauris. Donec tellus augue, tempus sed facilisis sed, fringilla quis leo.</p>
To test the code, add "." after the word nunc. (ie. nunc.., nunc..., etc.) You'll see that the T— always remains joined.

It works under ADE 3 and upper (I suppose also it should work under ADE 2).

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In order to make sure code works properly, it will need to work with ADE 1.7.2 on up because there are a lot of devices out there with old version of RMDSK and there's no way they will every be updated. So don't assume, test it out.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-16-2017 at 11:49 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In order to make sure code works properly, it will need to work with ADE 1.7.2 on up because there are a lot of devices out there with old version of RMDSK and there's no way they will every be updated. So don't assume, test it out.
I don't have ADE 1.7.2 nor ADE 2.0. Can you test the code for me? That is, if you have those versions of ADE.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I don't have ADE 1.7.2 nor ADE 2.0. Can you test the code for me? That is, if you have those versions of ADE.
I just tested it with ADE 1.7 and ADE 2.0 and it worked with both versions. It appears that your idea and the the version that I posted in post #13 are the only solutions that'll work with ADE 1.7-4.5 (without embedding a font).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I just tested it with ADE 1.7 and ADE 2.0 and it worked with both versions. It appears that your idea and the the version that I posted in post #13 are the only solutions that'll work with ADE 1.7-4.5 (without embedding a font).
Many thanks Doitsu!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #22
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, again, but there may be another option. This morning I accidentally found an article on Wikipedia:

Word joiner
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Zwnbsp)

The word joiner (WJ) is a code point in Unicode used to indicate that word separation should not occur at a position, when using scripts that do not use explicit spacing. It is encoded since Unicode version 3.2 (released in 2002) as U+2060 WORD JOINER (HTML ⁠). The word joiner does not produce any space, and prohibits a line break at its position.

The word joiner replaces the zero-width no-break space (ZWNBSP), a deprecated use of the Unicode character at code point U+FEFF. Character U+FEFF is intended for use as a Byte Order Mark at the start of a file. However, if encountered elsewhere it should, according to Unicode, be treated as a "zero-width non-breaking space." The deliberate use of U+FEFF for this purpose is deprecated as of Unicode 3.2, with the word joiner strongly preferred.

The HTML is ⁠& # 8 2 8 8 ; I've tried ⁠ it on my Sony T3, and it works. It will take me a few days to finish the ebook I'm working on, and then I'll use calibre to produce an AZW3 version and will report whether it works on my Kindle and on the other readers I use.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #23
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, again, but there may be another option. This morning I accidentally found an article on Wikipedia:

Word joiner
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Zwnbsp)

The word joiner (WJ) is a code point in Unicode used to indicate that word separation should not occur at a position, when using scripts that do not use explicit spacing. It is encoded since Unicode version 3.2 (released in 2002) as U+2060 WORD JOINER (HTML ⁠). The word joiner does not produce any space, and prohibits a line break at its position.

The word joiner replaces the zero-width no-break space (ZWNBSP), a deprecated use of the Unicode character at code point U+FEFF. Character U+FEFF is intended for use as a Byte Order Mark at the start of a file. However, if encountered elsewhere it should, according to Unicode, be treated as a "zero-width non-breaking space." The deliberate use of U+FEFF for this purpose is deprecated as of Unicode 3.2, with the word joiner strongly preferred.

The HTML is ⁠& # 8 2 8 8 ; I've tried ⁠ it on my Sony T3, and it works. It will take me a few days to finish the ebook I'm working on, and then I'll use calibre to produce an AZW3 version and will report whether it works on my Kindle and on the other readers I use.
Hi Alex;

Using the character & #8288;⁠⁠ and the css property "display: inline-block" are not mutually exclusive solutions but complementary. Suppose you want to stick together a complete word (or two words); how would you do that by using the character & #8288;? You would have to use/add that char for each letter or the word. In those cases, it easier to use the property "display: inline-block".

Regards
Rubén
Old 09-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Wouldn't you just put the two words together without anyspaces??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:38 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Wouldn't you just put the two words together without anyspaces??
This would be a way of avoiding the word being hyphenated, would be my guess.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #26
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, the only thing that works is wrapping words with em dashes in spans and assigning them a white-space: nowrap style.
You really shouldn't have to, though, as all punctuation is supposed to be treated as part of the previous word by wrapping algorithms.

The problem in this case is that the Sony doesn't seem to think the em-dash is a punctuation mark. It can't be a general issue, or otherwise the OP would see periods, commas, quotation marks, etc. splitting from the word in front of them.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #27
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This would be a way of avoiding the word being hyphenated, would be my guess.
That's the case. By using the property "display: inline-block" you are avoiding that the word (or a sentence or a block of text) will be hyphenated and, of course, the text will remain joined.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 09-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
You really shouldn't have to, though, as all punctuation is supposed to be treated as part of the previous word by wrapping algorithms.

The problem in this case is that the Sony doesn't seem to think the em-dash is a punctuation mark. It can't be a general issue, or otherwise the OP would see periods, commas, quotation marks, etc. splitting from the word in front of them.
an em dash is treated differently. It's not a Sony issue. It's not an issue at all.

When you have word1–word2 and that won't fit on at the end of the line, instead of dropping word1–word2 to the next line and creating large gaps, if word1 fits, but –word2 doesn't fit, then –word2 will drop to the next line.

Also, in some cases, you'll find it typeset like word1 – word2. So the em dash will be alone and treated that way. If it need to fall off the end of the line, it will.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:43 AM   #29
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I am currently without a reading device, and using ADE on PC, and I see ending punctuation and quotation marks splitting off to the next line very very often. Especially quote marks.
Quote:
Oh, how awful
!

“Explain, please.
I don't know if this happens on reading devices, but it is something I have come to expect from ADE.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 09-19-2017 at 01:59 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 AM   #30
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
When I use "justify" on my Kobo there is usually a space between quote marks and the text within. I would prefer it to not be (but it's not a big deal, just looks strange).
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote