Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #226
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Immelmann67 - just an idea - did you restart immediately after installing the plugin, before you tried to configure?

I have a distant memory of having to do that with another plugin, so I now do it habitually - install plugin, restart, configure plugin.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #227
Immelmann67
Immelmann67 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have tried installing the plugin, then configuring it. I have installed, restarted and tried configuring. I have installed, disabled, restarted, enabled and tried configuring. In each case, I get the same result. Sorry, BR- that approach didn't work for me :-(
Immelmann67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #228
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann67 View Post
calibre, version 3.9.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>MemoryError</b>:

calibre 3.9 Portable embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')

<snip . . . snip>

MemoryError
You appear to be running 32bit calibre on 64bit Windows, and the calibre error report ends with Memory error which usually means insufficient memory.

Try installing the 64bit version of calibre, no need to uninstall the 32bit, and the 64 bit will use the existing settings and libraries.

BR
Old 10-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #229
Immelmann67

Hmmm- there doesn't appear to be a separate version for Portable- which is what I'm running, as I move around between three different laptops/PCs.
OK, thank you for that.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #230
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hmmm- there doesn't appear to be a separate version for Portable- which is what I'm running, as I move around between three different laptops/PCs.
OK, thank you for that.
You can install Calibre on all of those computers. You don't need the portable version. many errors (yours included) are because people installed the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #231
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
OK, thank you for that.
My bad, the error log plainly states Portable.

You should be able to shoehorn 64bit calibre into Portable calibre by installing 64bit and replacing the content of the ..\Calibre Portable\Calibre directory with the content of ..\Program Files\Calibre 2 directory. You would have to repeat for new releases - but it's pretty simple.

The problems with installing 64bit onto each laptop include: you may not have sufficient access rights to do the install on all laptops, you would probably want to find a way of keeping the configuration data on all three in synch or keep it with the libraries on the portable drive, the perennial problem of USB drive letters changing.

BR
Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #232
Immelmann67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My bad, the error log plainly states Portable.
You should be able to shoehorn 64bit calibre into Portable calibre by installing 64bit and replacing the content of the ..\Calibre Portable\Calibre directory with the content of ..\Program Files\Calibre 2 directory. You would have to repeat for new releases - but it's pretty simple.
BR
I may try that- thank you.

Quote:
The problems with installing 64bit onto each laptop include: you may not have sufficient access rights to do the install on all laptops, you would probably want to find a way of keeping the configuration data on all three in synch or keep it with the libraries on the portable drive, the perennial problem of USB drive letters changing.

BR
Which is why I'm using the portable version- it avoids all those hassles. Hmmm. I wonder how much effort it would be to produce a 64-bit portable version?
Old 10-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #233
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Which is why I'm using the portable version- it avoids all those hassles. Hmmm. I wonder how much effort it would be to produce a 64-bit portable version?
Kovid is reticent to do that. Portable is installed on thumb drives by people who use 'public' computers in libraries, internet cafes, hotels etc - which often have 32bit windows installed -- especially in the 'global south'.

BTW - I am no where near certain that 64bit will solve this problem, insufficient memory is more likely to occur in conversion etc. than startup. How many books in your library and do you have many custom columns

BR
Old 10-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #234
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
From that error message it looks like this plugin is trying to create its own db objects. It should not be doing that. If it wants access to a db, it should ask for it from calibre. For example with

Code:
from calibre.gui2.ui import get_gui
db = get_gui().current_db
to get the currently opened library or for other libraries

Code:
library_broker = get_gui().library_broker
newdb = library_broker.get_library(library_path)
Note that using library_broker requires calibre >= 3.0
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #235
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Although, given that this is a filetype plugin, I'm not sure why it needs special access to a db at all. The postimport() and postadd() functions are given access to db objects automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #236
Immelmann67

Quote:
Kovid is reticent to do that. Portable is installed on thumb drives by people who use 'public' computers in libraries, internet cafes, hotels etc - which often have 32bit windows installed -- especially in the 'global south'.
I guess that makes sense. I'm fortunate that some of the devices I use are 64, but as I don't have admin rights, and as I regularly move between devices, portable is my only realistic option.
Quote:
BTW - I am no where near certain that 64bit will solve this problem, insufficient memory is more likely to occur in conversion etc. than startup. How many books in your library and do you have many custom columns.
How many books? Just shy of 149000, and several custom columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
From that error message it looks like this plugin is trying to create its own db objects. It should not be doing that. If it wants access to a db, it should ask for it from calibre. For example with
Code:
db = get_gui().current_db
to get the currently opened library or for other libraries

Code:
library_broker = get_gui().library_broker
newdb = library_broker.get_library(library_path)
Note that using library_broker requires calibre >= 3.0
Thank you for the advice, Kovid- I hope the developer of the plugin sees this, and applies it (and maybe makes it work in 32bit!). It would be a brilliant addition to the plugin-list.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #237
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
This is a beta option that:
  • stores preference in json file (through library name, as getting library id is only for calibre 3)
  • allegedly get the preferences changes without restart

As there is no database copy, I hope @Immelmann67 is solved. If I have no comments, I'll make it release version on Wednesday.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GetFileName.zip (17.5 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 10-15-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Forgotten attachment
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #238
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
This is a beta option that:
  • stores preference in json file (through library name, as getting library id is only for calibre 3)
What will happen to existing preferences stored in library database, will they be moved to the json file and deleted from library preferences, or must one do that manually.

BR
Old 10-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #239
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
How many books? Just shy of 149000, and several custom columns.
That is a 'big' library. Calibre loads the database into memory at start, so that probably helps explains why you got a memory fail.

File Type plugins (such as GFN) don't have access to that in-memory copy of the database, so Terisa de Morgan instanced a local copy within the plugin. If you read through the thread you'll read Kovid's earlier posts (~post #170) as to why that's a no-no.

As I understand Terisa's latest post - the 'beta' version she attached will store the plugin preferences (the columns names) in a plugin specific json file in the configuration folder rather than the preferences table in the database - which means GFN will have no need to access the in-memory database.

BR
Old 10-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #240
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
What will happen to existing preferences stored in library database, will they be moved to the json file and deleted from library preferences, or must one do that manually.

BR
If there is no json information for that library, they will be copied from library preferences to json (no removing, they don't hurt).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibredb, calibredb metadata import, plugin