Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
earthpigborn
Enthusiast
earthpigborn began at the beginning.

Device: FBReader on Android
I'm in SEA and I want a reader

I've been using a Sony PSP with Bookr installed as my mobile reading device for the past 4 years and I've decided that it's time to upgrade to an actual ebook reader.

Since the PSP is still serving me well, I've given myself until August to decide on a reader. I could buy it earlier if prices drop or something but August is going to be my deadline.

I'll just air out a couple of my concerns and ask for some opinions on them. I guess I'll just add questions to this thread as my research come along. Thanks in advance.

First concern: I'm in the Philippines- is the Kindle my only option? I have no qualms about stripping DRM and converting files but will my location make it more difficult to access non-Amazon bookstores? I've been looking at the kindle store and they have books listed at Asia-specific prices. I don't think SOny or B&N can be accessed without hiding my IP. Are the non-affiliated bookstores international friendly?

Second Concern: If I did my research correctly, the Kindle doesn't allow you to add your own wallpapers without breaking warranty. It's a minor gripe but the Kindle looks so plain that I'd jump at any chance to stamp some individuality into it.

Any recommendations from other international ebook lovers is appreciated.
earthpigborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Welcome to MR! I can't answer your questions, but hopefully someone from the Philippines will be along soon, who will know more about your options. There are some international friendly bookstores, and if you plan on purchasing most of your books in .epub, Kindle probably isn't your best options. Borders ships internationally, maybe see if you can buy something from there (if you decide not to get the Kindle) - they sell a couple of brands of e-book reader, if I'm not mistaken.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hi and Welcome,

Yes, most devices and stores has Geo Restrictions. You can circumvent that using a proxy and a USA pre-paid credit card but is a hassle anyway.

Besides Kindle I don't know of any other device which can truly provide International support.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
earthpigborn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick replies. A few more questions

Do stores like Fictionwise have similar geo restrictions? I saw that they were selling Asimov's magazine as individual ebooks while the kindle store only has year long subscriptions. I would love to get some of these but I'm sure about subscribing yet. The fictionwise model seems easier and I was hoping the Kindle store has something similar and I just haven't found it yet.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
If you weren't overseas I would wholeheartedly recommend the PRS350, but as I have zero knowledge of the various "Geo Restrictions" I am afraid I can't be much use to you. On a side note my PSP was my e-reader for about 2 years, that PSP was truly a wonderful little device.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
earthpigborn, are Chinese devises available to you in the Philippines? If so, I recommend that you look at the Dr. Yi. I have the American version called the jetBook Lite which I am quite pleased with.

Of course, the firmware of the Dr. Yi will be different from that of the JBL, and that is important. The JBL can do what you want since you are willing to work around various issues.

Here in the US the JBL is on sale today at newegg.com.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
earthpigborn
Enthusiast

@Lt. Brannigan: Thanks for the recommendation but from what I've read the restrictions don't really mean much to a non-wireless device like the 350 since I'll be buying from a PC anyway. The only reason I'm not considering it is that while I like the Sony's form factor and the functionality of the touchscreen but I realized that I'd really like to use a touchscreen for minor web surfing which the cheaper Sonys can't do. If the Daily Edition was priced more competitively I'd probably go for that, Geo restrictions be damned

@GA Russell: Chinese stuff is available here but I'd like a little connectivity too if only to browse TV tropes in between reading.

I'll probably get the Kindle wifi which I'll be happy with but I'll still keep my eyes open for a Sony sale.

Last edited by earthpigborn; 01-10-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: style
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Hi Earthpigborn,

I've been here in Thailand since 2003. Just recently bought a Kindle 3 and have no problems using it here. Also have a JBL. With calibre and your knowledge of removing DRM and a proxy server or VPN you be able to read any format on a Kindle or any other reader. Personally I don't want to mess with my Kindle but there are sites out their that can show how to tweak the Kindle.

Good luck on your choice.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
earthpigborn
Enthusiast

I haven't actually tried removing DRM but it seems simple enough from what I've read. I already have Calibre so I can try it out there before I even touch the Kindle. Any advice on adding screensavers/wallpaper? Can it be done without voiding the warranty?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthpigborn View Post
I haven't actually tried removing DRM but it seems simple enough from what I've read. I already have Calibre so I can try it out there before I even touch the Kindle. Any advice on adding screensavers/wallpaper? Can it be done without voiding the warranty?
Checkout this website: http://www.asiteaboutnothing.net/g_kindle-dx.html. They have some interesting things for the Kindle DX and 3.

Don't know about warranty questions, but I would image if they found out you messed with the their software it would void the warranty.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #11
earthpigborn
Enthusiast

@thaigreg
I'll bump my own topic up because I read on another thread that you used a mail forwarding service to get your kindle. At least I think that was you Anyway, I'm gonna use a similar service and was wondering what was I supposed to do if the device is faulty? Did you have any way to send your kindle back if it happened to be defective?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthpigborn View Post
@thaigreg
I'll bump my own topic up because I read on another thread that you used a mail forwarding service to get your kindle. At least I think that was you Anyway, I'm gonna use a similar service and was wondering what was I supposed to do if the device is faulty? Did you have any way to send your kindle back if it happened to be defective?
Hello earthpigborn,

why do you want to use a forwarding service? The international Kindle is sold to the Phillippines.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
earthpigborn
Enthusiast

^^ I'm thinking a US to US order would be a little faster and more importantly I don't want to deal with customs officials here. The forwarding service has staff with experience in dealing with that kind of thing.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Have a K3 in Hong Kong and no issues here, however, I did have Amazon.co.uk and .com accounts alerady set up but still pay the web prices regardless.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote