Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
thom1337
thom1337 began at the beginning.

Device: N514
Factory .img for Kobo Aura (N514)

Does anyone have the factory .img which I can flash to the external SD card for the Kobo Aura?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm confused. You are asking here for an image for the Aura and specify the model N514. And elsewhere and in PM, you ask for an image for the Aura H2O. These are different devices. Which do you have and need an image for?

And an image for the Aura is a problem. It doesn't have removable internal storage so generating and restoring an image is problematic. I believe there is a way to do it from the external card, but do not have a suitable image and can't remember if it works on a device that isn't booting.
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
thom1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm confused. You are asking here for an image for the Aura and specify the model N514. And elsewhere and in PM, you ask for an image for the Aura H2O. These are different devices. Which do you have and need an image for?

And an image for the Aura is a problem. It doesn't have removable internal storage so generating and restoring an image is problematic. I believe there is a way to do it from the external card, but do not have a suitable image and can't remember if it works on a device that isn't booting.
Hi, sorry for the confusion. I have bricked my Aura during a factory reset when the battery died. It no longer does anything at all. I think I have figured out a way to boot from the external SD card using a certain button combination.

I tried flashing Android for the Aura HD on my external SD card and managed to get my computer to recognize 2 disconnected volumes. Useless, but at least I know the SD card is doing something.

However, nobody seems to have an image for the Aura. Elsewhere I read the H2O image would also work on the regular Aura, the firmware update files are also the same.

Even if the H2O image does not work, I will at least have the correct partition structure to work with. If none of this works I will look into JTAG and try to flash the image directly. I have already opened it to replace the battery, haven't put it back together yet.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I think someone has done this with an image from the Aura H2O. They are the same version device, so it is the most likely to work. A search here might find any mention of it, but I don't remember there were many details.

I have sent the link.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
thom1337

Quote:
OK, I think someone has done this with an image from the Aura H2O. They are the same version device, so it is the most likely to work. A search here might find any mention of it, but I don't remember there were many details.

I have sent the link.
Thanks! Just tried it, screen flashes black/white twice but nothing after that. Guess it's dead, but I'll check the serial output when I get some time.
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom1337 View Post
Thanks! Just tried it, screen flashes black/white twice but nothing after that. Guess it's dead, but I'll check the serial output when I get some time.
Try doing a factory reset as you start it. Or, let it attempt to process the card and when it stops, take the card out and do the factory reset. I don't know how and when it uses the card, so it might need a second step.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
thom1337

Quote:
Try doing a factory reset as you start it. Or, let it attempt to process the card and when it stops, take the card out and do the factory reset. I don't know how and when it uses the card, so it might need a second step.
I waited a bit longer this time, you were right. It showed 5 dots as if it was loading, the screen lit up and then turned back off. I will give it a few more tries.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
thom1337

Quote:
I waited a bit longer this time, you were right. It showed 5 dots as if it was loading, the screen lit up and then turned back off. I will give it a few more tries.
Problem found: My new battery wasn't connected properly, causing it to die. Now it shows me "Critical error. Factory reset your eReader?". The buttons don't seem to do anything though...
Old 05-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
thom1337

Quote:
Problem found: My new battery wasn't connected properly, causing it to die. Now it shows me "Critical error. Factory reset your eReader?". The buttons don't seem to do anything though...
Update: I just waited, and it works again now! Thanks a lot!
Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 AM   #10
rlouie
rlouie doesn't litterrlouie doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Question - can you please post a link to the battery you used as well as the instructions on how to take the cover off?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #11
rlouie
rlouie doesn't litterrlouie doesn't litter

I found the following video on Youtube on how to remove the back -
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #12
BLaraby
BLaraby began at the beginning.

Quote:
Update: I just waited, and it works again now! Thanks a lot!
Hey, my Aura has just done the exact same thing as yours (dead battery, died during factory reset) can you share with me how you fixed it? I'd hate to just junk it.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
jwlemke
jwlemke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O
I have an N514 that is bricked. Please send a link for the Aura H2O (N250) image.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
jwlemke
jwlemke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O
Got it! Thanks so much.
I'll report how this turns out as a document for others.
Closed Thread