Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #1246
alexantao
alexantao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Lightbulb Sync FROM Calibre TO Goodreads

Hi,

Sorry if this is already answered, this topic is quite old and very BIG. Didn't find anything yet.

I use maily Calibre, I have a Kobo e-Book and anerytime I plug it into Calibre, it syncs it's read books and reading ones.
I'd like this to sync my Goodreads account FROM Calibre, so it takes the books read, shelves and %read from a book and add/update then on my Goodreads account.

Is it possible ?

Thanks.
alexantao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #1247
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexantao View Post
Hi,

Sorry if this is already answered, this topic is quite old and very BIG. Didn't find anything yet.

I use maily Calibre, I have a Kobo e-Book and anerytime I plug it into Calibre, it syncs it's read books and reading ones.
I'd like this to sync my Goodreads account FROM Calibre, so it takes the books read, shelves and %read from a book and add/update then on my Goodreads account.

Is it possible ?
Are you using my Kobo Utilities plugin to fetch the reading status from the Kobo device? If so, the status dialog has an option to call the Goodreads Sync to send the progress to the Goodreads. This will add the book to the reading shelf and the read shelf when the book is finished.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #1248
alexantao
alexantao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you using my Kobo Utilities plugin to fetch the reading status from the Kobo device? If so, the status dialog has an option to call the Goodreads Sync to send the progress to the Goodreads. This will add the book to the reading shelf and the read shelf when the book is finished.
Yes, I'm using KoboUtiIities,I've been looking for this option, but found nothing.
Checked Goodreads plug-in and it is authorized. The dialog that apears when I plug-in the device updates the indexes, reading positions, etc... from the device and then it closes, there's no option to update Goodreads.

I'm looking for something in Kobo Plugin, and found some call to Goodreads, but not answer to my issue. Is there a way to turn on Plugin Debugger ?
alexantao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #1249
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexantao View Post
Yes, I'm using KoboUtiIities,I've been looking for this option, but found nothing.
Checked Goodreads plug-in and it is authorized. The dialog that apears when I plug-in the device updates the indexes, reading positions, etc... from the device and then it closes, there's no option to update Goodreads.

I'm looking for something in Kobo Plugin, and found some call to Goodreads, but not answer to my issue. Is there a way to turn on Plugin Debugger ?
When you fetch the reading position, you can have a status dialog displayed to decide whether to store the updates or not. There is an option not to show this. If you do show it, there are couple of checkboxes at the bottom of the dialog about what to do after you press OK on the dialog. One is to call the Goodreads Sync progress updating on the books with changes. If you have the Kobo Utilities fetch running automatically, then you probably have the "Prompt to store any changes" option turned off in the configuration.

I suppose I should add those options in the configuration. But, it won't happen for a while.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #1250
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
HI,

Wanted to request a feature for the plugin. Is it possible to add rules for removing a book from a shelf? Adding and syncing have rules, but removing books doesn't change anything. I have a lot of columns that need updating if I remove books from specific shelves, especially the "bookshelves" column. If I remove a book from a shelf, the only way to update the column is to download tags as shelves, and I have to manually go into other columns and change their values when GRS could do it if the option was available.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #1251
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, you are right. I've hardly used the add actions so hadn't looked at that properly.

I'll have a look at it. Adding remove-from-shelf actions shouldn't be to hard as it should be basically the same as the add-to-shelf actions. But, I'll need to go through it carefully to make sure I don't miss anything. I won't make any promises.

Of course, if you or someone else wants to make the changes, I'll be happy to answer any questions, test the code and go over it.
I looked at the plugin, and saw how the add and sync columns are populated, so it seems like it's a case of copy and add to create the "remove from" options. I have no experience in creating or changing plugins, but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to add this feature. I will try and see if I could do this. I am currently using the older version of the plugin from before the latest major change (the one labeled as beta). Is it necessary to change the "beta" version or can I stick with the older plugin. I don't like the beta one because it is very slow in making changes since it seems to require loading each individual book on a shelf.

Last edited by Rellwood; 09-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #1252
petemir
petemir began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini 1st. Gen
Hello,

Thank you very much for your plugin, it's an incredible time saver! I have one question, is it possible to sync (private) highlights from GoodReads to Calibre? I couldn't find any column that matches this...

Cheers!
petemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #1253
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemir View Post
Thank you very much for your plugin, it's an incredible time saver! I have one question, is it possible to sync (private) highlights from GoodReads to Calibre? I couldn't find any column that matches this...
No, the plugin doesn't have that function. And, I didn't even know that GR had the function. Looking at the book I am reading on GR, I don't see how to add them or see them. I can see a general quotes section, but, no a private highlights. Or they created on the Kindle and synced?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #1254
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Or they created on the Kindle and synced?
I think this is the case. The only private highlights I have on my GR account were created this way, on one of my Kindle devices/apps then synched from there
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #1255
petemir

Quote:
No, the plugin doesn't have that function. And, I didn't even know that GR had the function. Looking at the book I am reading on GR, I don't see how to add them or see them. I can see a general quotes section, but, no a private highlights. Or they created on the Kindle and synced?
Sorry for not being more explicit, I am also new to all of it. As Uncle Robin said, it appears to be a kindle only feature. I was hoping having a tool to sync quotes/highlights between an iPad (through the Kindle app, if I must, and finally Goodreads) and Calibre, because sending them by e-mail from iBooks it's a bit tedious.

But it appears that not even the Goodreads API provides access for this .

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #1256
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry for not being more explicit, I am also new to all of it. As Uncle Robin said, it appears to be a kindle only feature. I was hoping having a tool to sync quotes/highlights between an iPad (through the Kindle app, if I must, and finally Goodreads) and Calibre, because sending them by e-mail from iBooks it's a bit tedious.

But it appears that not even the Goodreads API provides access for this .
The plugin does scrape some pages if the API doesn't have it. But, in this case, I haven't seen an example of the quotes, and don't use a Kindle device to create them for testing.

And alternative is the Annotations plugin. It can read annotations from devices, and can import from files exported from apps. It doesn't support many apps, but they can be added.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 AM   #1257
petemir

Quote:
The plugin does scrape some pages if the API doesn't have it. But, in this case, I haven't seen an example of the quotes, and don't use a Kindle device to create them for testing.

And alternative is the Annotations plugin. It can read annotations from devices, and can import from files exported from apps. It doesn't support many apps, but they can be added.
Thank you for the recommendation, I saw it, but couldn't fit it to my environment (the only thing I could do was to grab a file from GoodReader and import it into the plugin... which is almost the same as my current workflow, sending myself the quotations by mail and adding them into Calibre) .

Is the source code for this plugin checked somewhere? (couldn't find it with the search function) Maybe, if you want, I could contribute with the scrapping of kindle notes (either way, this is an example of the page with books that have highlights, and this an example of the quotes for a particular book).
Old 09-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #1258
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation, I saw it, but couldn't fit it to my environment (the only thing I could do was to grab a file from GoodReader and import it into the plugin... which is almost the same as my current workflow, sending myself the quotations by mail and adding them into Calibre) .
The Annotations plugin needs code to read the file or device data. Depending on the source, it can be fairly easy. It has some common code to merge annotations from different sources, and allow repeated retrieval.
Quote:
Is the source code for this plugin checked somewhere? (couldn't find it with the search function) Maybe, if you want, I could contribute with the scrapping of kindle notes (either way, this is an example of the page with books that have highlights, and this an example of the quotes for a particular book).
The source for any plugin is in the plugin file. And the original developer of this one didn't use a repository. I do some maintenance, but haven't needed to go beyond that.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #1259
Rellwood

Is there a way to make both the add and the sync columns both show in the window for editing the plugin.

It seems that if there are too many rules, or the rules are too long, only the add column shows across the width of the window in the plugin. Unless I go and rename a lot of columns {#grdateread} to {#grdr} or {#bookshelves} to {#bs} and so on in every library, I can't get the sync plugin to show both the add and the sync rules.

I don't know if I have sync rules for a lot of my shelves unless I manually hit the sync button and open the individual box.

Some help please? I don't want to have to rename every column in all my libraries.
I hope this makes sense.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #1260
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Is there a way to make both the add and the sync columns both show in the window for editing the plugin.

It seems that if there are too many rules, or the rules are too long, only the add column shows across the width of the window in the plugin. Unless I go and rename a lot of columns {#grdateread} to {#grdr} or {#bookshelves} to {#bs} and so on in every library, I can't get the sync plugin to show both the add and the sync rules.

I don't know if I have sync rules for a lot of my shelves unless I manually hit the sync button and open the individual box.

Some help please? I don't want to have to rename every column in all my libraries.
I hope this makes sense.
Not quite. There should be a horizontal scroll bar to allow you to see the rest of the data in the table. I'm pretty sure the columns are being set to the width of the data in them, which could make them very wide. But, the horizontal scrollbar should be obvious and allow you to scroll to see the rest of the lines. Plus, you can change the width of the columns when viewing them. I'm not sure if reducing the default width of the column is a good idea. You can resize the config dialog which resizes the table and should show more of the columns.

If the horizontal scroll scrollbar is not shown, that is another issue. In that case, what happens when you resize the dialog? And what version of calibre are you running? And what OS?

Tags
calibre, goodreads