Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
And this on save to disk and on folder device.
I'm confused by your response above. The Connect to Folder option is meant to be used as a device. So you should be sending the books to the connected folder via Send to Device.

Connect to a folder via the Connect/Share icon.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-02-2010 at 11:55 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Sorry Walt
I thought I was clear that the plugboard didn't work with connect to device
I have tried that multiple times
I can connect to a folder and send the book to the folder/device but the series information is not added.

The manual says it does not work with connect to device or save to disk, but implies that it uses the save to disk function to do it and the save to disk and folder device are both listed in the drop down menu under plugboards

I am pretty new to kindle-ing so am probably making this more difficult than it has to be.
Probably I can use save to disk template and start a new library for her or send a bunch at a time to the kindle and copy them back to computer.

I want her to have a good selection but not have them all on the kindle at once as this will overwhelm her and she will be scared to use it.

Anyway thanks for the input
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The manual says it does not work with connect to device or save to disk, but implies that it uses the save to disk function to do it and the save to disk and folder device are both listed in the drop down menu under plugboards
I guess I should read the manual.

If I didn't use a Sony I would have been more on the ball.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess I should read the manual.
To paraphrase John Cleese I read a manual once but I think I got away with it
Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't have your answer but I'm relatively sure you can test out the plug board by using the Connect to Folder option.
Or the save-to-disk... I've been using that to check my plugboards and save-as templates...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Sorry Walt
I thought I was clear that the plugboard didn't work with connect to device
I have tried that multiple times
I can connect to a folder and send the book to the folder/device but the series information is not added.
Uhhh ...
plugboards work fine with books saved via save-to-disk and to the folder device. At least they do for me.
Quote:
Actually, the manual says that plugboards don't affect the metadata used in the templates - the parts that make up the file name. Plugboards affect the metadata that is in the books.

Templates and plugboards are used for different things. If you want series information in the title of the book *in the book*, use a plugboard. If you want series information *in the file name*, use a template. If you want the same information in both places, consider creating a composite custom column then using that column in both places.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard

Alrighty.
Now I am really confused
Self inflicted confusion is the worst kind.
I had forgotten I had changed the kindle plugin template.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #23
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Just checking again.

Can anybody tell me how to get the author name to display as Initial and Surname, in either order, on my K3 using Plugboards?

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 AM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
Just checking again.

Can anybody tell me how to get the author name to display as Initial and Surname, in either order, on my K3 using Plugboards?
Don't have a kindle, so I can't test this. As far as I can tell from various posts, kindles are very strange, so I don't make any guarantees.

1) I assume that your authors are in FN LN order (FirstName LastName), and that your author_sort values are LN, FN order. If not, then don't read on.
2) uncheck 'use author sort' in the mobi output plugin.
3) create a plugboard mobi/kindle2. Destination is authors. The source box contains
Code:
{author_sort:re((\, )(.).*?( &|$),\1\2\3)}
Edit 1: Actually, it doesn't matter what order your authors are in. What matters is the order of the author_sort.

Edit 2: for you regexp hackers, a note of explanation. As you will notice, the first group enclosing the comma space isn't necessary from a regexp point of view. It it there to work around a bug on 0.7.22 where backslashes aren't stripped from escaped commas in the replacement string. By using it, I don't need to put a comma into the replacement.

Last edited by chaley; 10-04-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #25
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

Code:
That worked brilliantly.

Thanks.

I would never have worked that out in a million years.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
{title} consists of series and index, because the Sony isn't supported by the plugboard.
Using plugboards to change the Sony DB is now supported as a special format, device_db. I surely hope I didn't break anything.
Quote:
I am working on a save template for my BBMini: it uses these composite fields:

{#folder_name} is a composite field: {#folder_a_t:lookup(#folder_a_t,#u_z)}
{#folder_a_t} is a composite field:
This is an interesting idea, and it screamed for simplification.

As of 0.7.22, try using the 'switch' function. Documentation is:
Code:
switch(pattern, value, pattern, value, ..., else_value) – for each pattern, value pair, checks 
if the field matches the pattern and if so, returns that value. If no pattern matches, 
then else_value is returned. You can have as many pattern, value pairs as you want.
I think that the following will do what you want.
Code:
{title:switch(^[a-dA-D],[A-D],^[e-jE-J],[E-J],^[k-qK-Q],[K_Q],^[r-zR-Z],[R-Z],[Other])}
Note that in the next release (0.7.23) you will be able to use title_sort as a field name. In .22, it always returns the empty string. Sigh.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #27
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Code:
Regular expressions in templates? I must've missed that in the template language documentation. That's really neat.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Regular expressions in templates? I must've missed that in the template language documentation. That's really neat.
The template functions 'contains', 'switch', and 're' use regexps. After all, templates manipulate text, and when manipulating text, regexps are the best there is.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #29
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
The template functions 'contains', 'switch', and 're' use regexps. After all, templates manipulate text, and when manipulating text, regexps are the best there is.
Without wanting to derail this thread: I've seen that again yesterday while parsing file names. What normally would have been a painful exercise in C/C++ was as easy as just matching a regexp to the names in Python. (I didn't work out, but the filename parsing wasn't to blame.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Using plugboards to change the Sony DB is now supported as a special format, device_db. I surely hope I didn't break anything.
I'll try that out this evening, when I'm at home.

Quote:
This is an interesting idea, and it screamed for simplification.
Karma is underway as this does make it a lot easier

Quote:
As of 0.7.22, try using the 'switch' function. Documentation is:
Code:
switch(pattern, value, pattern, value, ..., else_value) – for each pattern, value pair, checks 
if the field matches the pattern and if so, returns that value. If no pattern matches, 
then else_value is returned. You can have as many pattern, value pairs as you want.
I think that the following will do what you want.
Code:
{title:switch(^[a-dA-D],[A-D],^[e-jE-J],[E-J],^[k-qK-Q],[K_Q],^[r-zR-Z],[R-Z],[Other])}
Note that in the next release (0.7.23) you will be able to use title_sort as a field name. In .22, it always returns the empty string. Sigh.
Almost, because I want it based on {author_sort}

Code:
{author_sort:switch(^[A-D],[A - D],^[E-J],[E - J],^[K-O],[K - O],^[P-T],[P - T],^[U-Z],[U - Z],[Other])}
is a lot cleaner!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, tag, tags