Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #1666
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, PB Touch Lux 623, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis
This one looks like an interesting view from a woman serving as an Army nurse in WWII. It's 2.99 at Amazon US right now.

Helmets and Lipstick: An Army Nurse in World War Two
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #1667
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Arrghh! See corrected version below.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 07-12-2019 at 10:10 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #1668
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World

https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Word-.../dp/B003XDUCE0

Goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...es_of_the_Word

The first Amazon review notes problems with special characters/graphics, so this may depend on which reader you use. YMMV
I think that Amazon "always" notes, in small, red print, when an ebook has "quality issues reported." The ebook's webpage doesn't have that notice. So, I'd be inclined to think that the "quality issues" have been corrected. That, and the early reviewers seem to be the ones to make note of that.

I don't know if, when the issues are corrected, Amazon sends buyers a corrected ebook, as they do when ebooks have free updates, et al.

Of much more concern to me is that there are an excessive number of "1" ratings, probably the reason that the overall rating of the ebook falls below 4.0 stars. I'd want to read the reviews to figure out the reason for the excessive number of "1's".

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 07-12-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #1669
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
This one looks like an interesting view from a woman serving as an Army nurse in WWII. It's 2.99 at Amazon US right now.

Helmets and Lipstick: An Army Nurse in World War Two
Although forbidden from any combat roles, to my knowledge, women also served extensively as aviatrices (female pilots)--a non-traditional role for women in the armed forces (they may not have technically been in the armed forces, but in some auxiliary service). There was a huge need for pilots to ferry the bright-and-shiny new airplanes from the factories to places where they were needed. The men who were pilots couldn't be spared.

(A question just popped into my mind: I wonder if the women ever ferried airplanes to aircraft carriers. Some things make me think that they probably didn't.)

This critical work helped to crack open the door--ever so slightly--to employment of women as civil aviatrices after the War was over.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #1670
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I think that Amazon "always" notes, in small, red print, when an ebook has "quality issues reported." The ebook's webpage doesn't have that notice. So, I'd be inclined to think that the "quality issues" have been corrected. That, and the early reviewers seem to be the ones to make note of that.

I don't know if, when the issues are corrected, Amazon sends buyers a corrected ebook, as they do when ebooks have free updates, et al.

Of much more concern to me is that there are an excessive number of "1" ratings, probably the reason that the overall rating of the ebook falls below 4.0 stars. I'd want to read the reviews to figure out the reason for the excessive number of "1's".
I thought that some of you might be interested in reading this message from Amazon, if you haven't read it already, which popped up when I was scouring the ratings of a particular ebook a few minutes ago:
Amazon calculates a product’s star ratings based on a machine learned model instead of a raw data average. The model takes into account factors including the age of a rating, whether the ratings are from verified purchasers, and factors that establish reviewer trustworthiness.

I find that very interesting and insightful.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #1671
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, Free

Ivan the Terrible: Russia’s Most Insane Tsar

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:49 AM   #1672
WestCactus
Connoisseur
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle pw4, Oasis 1 & 2, fire 8
The Day John Died

by Christopher Andersen (Author)

Currently $1.99 with audio add for $1.99

Where were you the day John died? Like his father's assassination and the death of Princess Diana, the tragic plane crash that took the life of JFK Jr. on July 16, 1999 is one of the defining moments of our lives—an event that moved us so deeply we will never forget where we were the day we heard the news. With good reason. No other American had lived his entire life in the spotlight—from his rambunctious toddlerhood in the Kennedy White House and heartbreaking salute to his father's coffin to his daredevil Sexiest Man Alive bachelor days and his final years poised on the brink of fatherhood and a brilliant political career.
Now, in the manner of his other No. 1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller THE DAY DIANA DIED, respected Kennedy family biographer Christopher Andersen makes THE DAY JOHN DIED available for the first time as an ebook. Andersen draws on important sources—many talking here for the first time—to recreate in vivid and startling detail the events leading up to that fateful night off the coast of Martha's Vineyard.
An inspiring, sympathetic, and compelling look at one of the most remarkable young men of our time, THE DAY JOHN DIED is more than just the definitive biography of JFK Jr. It is a bittersweet saga of triumph, love, loss, fate—and promise unfulfilled. It is the story of America's son.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...d_i=7078878011
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #1673
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:

Always have to be careful of those. If the reviews don't reference something actually in the book, it could be a personal vendetta. On the other hand if a book really hasn't been properly edited or is written badly, that can get a lot of one star reviews.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #1674
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Always have to be careful of those. If the reviews don't reference something actually in the book, it could be a personal vendetta. On the other hand if a book really hasn't been properly edited or is written badly, that can get a lot of one star reviews.
As far as the personal element goes, I'm most suspicious of a disproportionate amount of five-star reviews, which seem most likely to be driven by F&F and generally account for those 4+ averages. I think the most useful reviews are the two-star ones, which tend to focus on the substantive, but for an absolutely terrible book there is no alternative to one star.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #1675
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
As far as the personal element goes, I'm most suspicious of a disproportionate amount of five-star reviews, which seem most likely to be driven by F&F and generally account for those 4+ averages. I think the most useful reviews are the two-star ones, which tend to focus on the substantive, but for an absolutely terrible book there is no alternative to one star.
I confess that sometimes I have been a hurry, and just considered the average score at Amazon (and hopefully the score at GoodReads, too) before purchasing. That might have been a mistake, although I can't point to any particular cases where that went wrong.

Issybird's calculas for judging the validity of ratings is interesting, to say the least, though; I certainly will give it consideration!

Amazon recognizes the issue of whether or not the average rating give a true picture of how good a book really is. As I mentioned in post #1670, Amazon states that they do not use raw data to come up with an average score. They use a "machine model" to come up with what they think is a more accurate average score. I suppose that that means that they use a Bayesian approach, algorithms, something(s) like that, (a) thing(s) which are way above my mathematical head.

That might make me more confident to pull the trigger on books at Amazon which have a high composite rating. When necessary.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #1676
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When a bunch of 5 star reviews are dated the same as the published date, it's a clear sign they are suspicious. I see that all the time. I tend to automatically discount 5 star reviews, and usually start my reading with the 1 & 2 star reviews.

In one of the genres I read, book reviews are almost always glowing praise dripping 5 star reviews. And as much as I like many of the authors for the lite reading they provide, most of them don't write 5 star worthy books IMO.

Spoilers in book reviews are my current irritation.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #1677
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Utopia for Realists: How We Can Build the Ideal World by Rutger Bregman is the Kindle deal of the day today in the US for $2.99

https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Realis...dp/B01MXDBTWM/

I got this a few weeks ago (for full price) and am about 25% in (I'm reading it during lunch breaks). The central premise might seem ludicrous on its face, but the supporting logic and documentation merit serious consideration. This book i well written and very readable. Bregman is a historian, but is far from stuffy.
On sale again for $2.99

I finished it a while back and highly recommend it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #1678
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, Free

Halicarnassus: The History and Legacy of the Ancient Greek City and Home to One of the Seven Wonders of the World

The Flavian Dynasty: The History of the Roman Empire during the Reigns of Vespasian, Titus, and Domitian

The Battle of Lepanto: The History of the Decisive Naval Battle between the Ottoman Empire and the Holy League

The Boxer Rebellion: The History and Legacy of the Anti-Imperialist Uprising in China at the End of the 19th Century

American Legends: The Life of Ernest Hemingway

The Master of Suspense: The Life and Legacy of Alfred Hitchcock

American Legends: The Life of Jimmy Stewart

Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin: The Lives and Careers of the First Men on the Moon

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:47 AM   #1679
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I confess that sometimes I have been a hurry, and just considered the average score at Amazon (and hopefully the score at GoodReads, too) before purchasing. That might have been a mistake, although I can't point to any particular cases where that went wrong.

Issybird's calculas for judging the validity of ratings is interesting, to say the least, though; I certainly will give it consideration!

Amazon recognizes the issue of whether or not the average rating give a true picture of how good a book really is. As I mentioned in post #1670, Amazon states that they do not use raw data to come up with an average score. They use a "machine model" to come up with what they think is a more accurate average score. I suppose that that means that they use a Bayesian approach, algorithms, something(s) like that, (a) thing(s) which are way above my mathematical head.

That might make me more confident to pull the trigger on books at Amazon which have a high composite rating. When necessary.
Again, either extreme can be suspicious. The only reliable gauge is to get a Kindle sample or look at the Look Inside feature and start reading, like you would with a hard copy in a book shop. Even legitimate reviews are only the opinions of strangers.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote