Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #16
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... The more pieces to the puzzle I find, the better ...
In that case, I just sent you more details via PM.

This is a non-issue for me now that I know to close the F/R box, but if the details are helpful to you, I am happy to provide them.

Thanks as always for all you do. Sigil is one of my favorite programs
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #17
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... a bug that affects some linux systems RE the F&R widget. Although the overall Window size doesn't seem to be affected on Linux, when the F&R widget is open when exiting Sigil, the central dock area (Code View/Book View) will expand (when sigi! is next opened) and "smoosh" the left and right dockwidget areas down to almost nothing. The same workaround prevents it ...

The more pieces to the puzzle I find, the better.
Another piece of the puzzle maybe ...

I discovered by accident today that if I have a floating window open when I close an ebook, the next ebook will revert to default size and position. So on my Mac, it's necessary to close the F&R widget and close or re-dock any floating windows before exiting in order to retain window size and position.

Also, I normally have Book Browser in left pane, Code View in center, and Preview+Table of Contents (on top of each other so I switch using the tabs at the bottom) in the right panel. If I close Sigil when either Preview or Table of Contents are undocked and floating, the next ebook window is SMOOSHED! Haha! The right pane takes up almost the entire window, and the center (Code View) and left panes are smooshed to almost nothing. But the smooshing doesn't happen if the floating window isn't set to dock on top of another window. If all of the panes just have a single function (and no tab at the bottom to switch), then having a floating window open when I exit an ebook just results in the next window reverting to default size/position without smooshing.

No urgency on a fix — just sharing details in hopes of being helpful. Thank you
Old 04-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Floating widget + tabbed widgets = smooshed next open. Got it!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:41 AM   #19
odamizu
just an egg

ETA: Problems solved with 0.9.14! Yay!

I spoke too soon. After more experimentation, it seems that floating widgets only pose a problem on a dual-monitor setup (and possibly only on my dual-monitor set-up). Also, smooshing appears linked specifically to Preview. However Find/Replace is a problem on both single- and dual-monitor situations.

Details in case they provide useful pieces to the puzzle:

On both single-monitor and dual-monitor setup:
  • If Find & Replace is open on quit — then last window size/position is forgotten and next open reverts to default window size/position.

On dual-monitor setup only (and possibly only on my dual-monitor setup):
  • If a previously docked widget is undocked and floating on quit — then last window size/position is forgotten and next open reverts to default window size/position.
  • If Preview is tabbed with one or more other widgets AND you undock a widget whose tab comes after (to the right of) Preview’s tab — then on next open, Preview smooshes everything else, either left, right, up or down, depending on where Preview is docked. Window also reverts to default size/position in addition to the smooshing.
  • If you undock a widget whose tab comes before (to the left) of Preview’s tab, then no smooshing occurs (but last window size/position is still forgotten and window reverts to default size/position).
  • If you undock Preview, no smooshing occurs (but last window size/position is still forgotten and window reverts to default size/position).
  • Floating windows and tabbed windows have no adverse affect on a single-monitor setup.

Last edited by odamizu; 06-17-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: problem solved with 0.9.14
Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 AM   #20
odamizu
just an egg

Hello DiapDealer & KevinH,

Not sure if this is the result of the Qt and Python updates or some other wizardry you guys did, but all of the window size/position issues I previously reported have vanished with 0.9.14. Sigil now remembers window/size position on my Mac even if I leave the Find/Replace box open or have widgets floating when closing Sigil.

Just thought I'd let you know and say another for all the time and effort you put into Sigil. It is one of my favorite apps
Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #21
dgraygrayco
dgraygrayco began at the beginning.

Device: none
The update to 0.9.14 did not fix the problem for me, unfortunately.

The Find panel does seem to be part of the problem:

If I resize window and panels, and if the Find panel is open when I save and close the document, then upon reopening the document its window and panels revert to the default (small) sizes.

If I close the Find panel before closing the document, then upon reopening the document its window and panels keep my custom sizes.
dgraygrayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yeah, there's definitely some flakiness restoring windows/widget sizes regarding the F&R window being open, and whether or not the application is maximized or not. And as you noticed, closing F&R before closing Sigil is the easiest way to avoid most of it altogether.

It's been on my todo list for a while. One of the easiest fixes I could probably make to alleviate the problem is to simply not save/restore the open/closed state of the F&R widget at all (i.e. always open Sigil with F&R hidden). But I hesitate to do that until I've exhausted all other options.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:49 PM   #23
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraygrayco View Post
The update to 0.9.14 did not fix the problem for me, unfortunately.

The Find panel does seem to be part of the problem:

If I resize window and panels, and if the Find panel is open when I save and close the document, then upon reopening the document its window and panels revert to the default (small) sizes.

If I close the Find panel before closing the document, then upon reopening the document its window and panels keep my custom sizes.
By any chance, do you have a dual-monitor set-up?

My previous window size/position issues related to the F&R widget and floating windows were solved with 0.9.14 and continued to be solved with 0.9.16. But I did discover something interesting that might help shed further light on this issue.

I have a dual-monitor set-up where one display is smaller and at different resolution than the other display.

I always use Sigil on the big display, and my epub files are usually on the big display's desktop. But on the infrequent occasion when the epub file is on the small desktop, opening the file will cause the Sigil window to open on the big desktop but at the default size/position.

So if you're having window size/position issues on a dual-monitor Mac set-up, perhaps take note of which desktop the epub file is on when you open it and whether that makes a difference?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ETA: I have apparently just jinxed myself. After spending some time with 0.9.17, I have discovered another weird window size/position anomaly where sometimes when I close, the window expands to the full width of the desktop (not full-screen since the Apple bar and Apple Dock remain, but full-width of the desktop), with the Code View panel gaining all the space. It's really quite shocking because I'm actually seeing the window expand before it disappears. The next time I open an epub, the window is huge. I will try to figure out how to reproduce this at will, but figured I'd throw this out there since I re-opened the door to the window size/position discussion.

ETA2: Screenshots don't do this justice. DiapDealer and KevinH, I just PM'd you both with a screen-video.

ETA3: Thank you, KevinH! The fix has been working great. Windows are stable and remember size/position.

Last edited by odamizu; 08-27-2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: removed screenshots, ETA3
Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 AM   #24
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
I dont know if this has been the case for 0.9.16, but for 0.9.17 the report window doesnt remember its size and column width anymore. Every time i have an incredible big column width which i need to adjust. The find/replace hack doesnt work here.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #25
odamizu
just an egg

nevermind ... I misunderstood the issue

Last edited by odamizu; 08-11-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
About Bug reports about Window sizing on Mac:

macOS seems to create several files related to window sizing on its own for every app. Technically, Sigil knows nothing about these files as Sigil does not create them.

These include:

~/Library/Caches/sigil-ebook/ (the entire folder).
~/Library/Preferences/com.sigil-ebook.Sigil.app.plist
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.sigil-ebook.Sigil.app.savedState

So when you are testing and seeing strange window sizing or whatever issues, it would help to remove these files as they seem to override Sigil's own window geometry files.

Here is how to remove them:

1. make sure in System Preferences -> General you have the box Close windows when quitting app CHECKED. Then quit completely out of Sigil

2. remove any and all things related to Sigil in ~/Library/Caches/
You may need to use the Go menu to reach that spot.

3. remove any and all things related to Sigil in ~/Library/"Saved Application State"
Again you may need to use the Go menu to reach that spot.

4. remove any and all things related to Sigil in ~/Library/Preferences
Again you may need to use the Go menu to reach that spot

5. restart your computer making sure the box to reopen windows is NOT checked.

They try again and see if you can recreate your mac Sigil windows issue.

If it still happens, then we will need to dig further.

Thanks,

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #27
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Column widths are not saved and restored, they are dynamically sized to fit the widest string.

If you scroll down in the "big column" you should find the longest string that is used to determine the column width.

So this works as designed. Note file names and image names can be changed at any time meaning reports must always dynamically size the column created.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
I dont know if this has been the case for 0.9.16, but for 0.9.17 the report window doesnt remember its size and column width anymore. Every time i have an incredible big column width which i need to adjust. The find/replace hack doesnt work here.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote