Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
PeterEvans
PeterEvans began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Puzzled re country content USA/UK/France

Hi,

I'm new here and have a few questions re a proposed purchase of Kindle 3:

1. I live mostly in France but have an address in the UK also. If I buy through amazon.com for delivery to France it appears my choice of books will be restricted. Is that right? Is there a way round that?

2. I have an amazon.co.uk account but that restricts delivery to my UK address; if I had it delivered that way I would then have to get the device re-shipped to France. Is the package very big when boxed?

3. If I am using the device in France, are my options for downloading books limited? (BTW I would probably prefer to download to my PC and then transfer the book to the Kindle via USB)

4. Finally, I also want to order one for my mother-in-law in the UK. If I do that will both devices be set up for my account? Will it be easy for her to get round that on her device?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
PeterEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buy from the UK - that way you'll have full 3G internet access throughout Europe. Kindles bought from the US appear not to have internet access in Europe other than Wiki and Amazon.

If you buy a Kindle as a gift, the recipient will need to register it to their own Amazon account. This is very easy to do.

I've just measured my Kindle's shipping box - it's 24x20x8cm and weighs no more than 1kg, so it wouldn't be terribly expensive to post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
PeterEvans

Thanks Harry,

I should have said that 3G is not something I'll need on either device. Does that make a difference?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, if you only want the WiFi version it makes no difference at all where you buy it from. It's only 3G access that differs.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Bad Astronaut
Bad Astronaut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, if you only want the WiFi version it makes no difference at all where you buy it from. It's only 3G access that differs.
I'm not sure that's correct - Amazon negotiates separate deals with publishers for different regions, so the books available may vary depending on where your account is based. For instance, some books are available in the US but not Canada.
Bad Astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
sibyll15
sibyll15 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I heard Peter that some places in France do not get good coverage. We are in the South West - up country from Bordeaux and I believe it is a bad coverage area.
sibyll15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
PeterEvans

Thanks for that Sibyll;

I should, however, have said that I'm not interested in 3G.

When asking about my options in France being limited, I meant to downloading to my PC, and Amazon recognising a French IP address and therefore restricting the books I had access to. Has that been a problem for you?

(sorry about the confusion).

Pete

PS
We're between Bordeaux and Toulouse, about 100 kms from the former

Last edited by PeterEvans; 09-13-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: badly worded
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
shady
shady began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle DX
I've used the 3G kindle all over southwest france and really the coverage is as good as the worst roaming mobile signal - this means that even sitting in a vineyard with only 2 houses within 10km (as I was, near Narbonne, a few weeks ago), if you get a bar on your signal you probably have enough to get a book delivered (probably not enough to browse and order one).

On the question of it recognising IP addresses - I have a US address and a UK address. It restricts content based on the postal address with which the credit card for your one-click ordering id is associated. It doesn't check IP addresses (at least, this is true for the Kindle 2). It is possible, if you have multiple addresses, to switch back and forth via the "manage your kindle" function, if you have multiple billing addresses set up. It is correct that content is then restricted by country, and you are probably better off using your UK address (unless you need French language stuff, I guess).
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You will want to have your Kindle account set to your UK address. I think you will end up with a larger choiced of books with a UK address instead of the French address.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
PeterEvans

Ok, I'll order one for delivery to the UK and get it sent here

Thanks to all
Old 09-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #11
sibyll15
sibyll15 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Peter

Hi Peter,
we are an hour North of Bordeaux near Jonzac! You could drop off the A10 and come and see us on your way North!
I think I am going to stick to paperbacks from Amazon as they are cheaper than the Kindle cyberbooks even taking into account postage! Also some of the new fiction is not available!
sibyll15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Astronaut View Post
I'm not sure that's correct - Amazon negotiates separate deals with publishers for different regions, so the books available may vary depending on where your account is based. For instance, some books are available in the US but not Canada.
I said that it didn't matter where you buy your Kindle from. Which country you register it in is a different question, and certainly will affect the content that's available.