Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Can anyone shine some light on the puzzle?

I purchase the majority of my ebooks from Fictionwise. Can anybody tell me why the original covers don't always appear when I download to Mobipocket Library or my Cybook? The first chapter of the book appears on Mobipocket library, and a plain cover on my Cybook with only the title of the book. It doesn't happen when I purchase ebooks elsewhere. Am I doing something wrong? What's happening? Would be interested if anyone can offer an explaination.

Go raimh maith agat.

Slan,
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very odd. I buy a lot of books from FW and the covers show up just fine for me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I get the same as Maggie May. The covers show in the Windows reader but I just get a plain page on the Cybook & DR1000. I assumed it was just because the mobi reader in e-ink devices is not as good.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Mobipocket Reader often downloads covers separately from somewhere and stores them in jpg files. I'm not sure why they're not embedded in .mobi files themselves.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
If you have a .jpg of the cover you can convert it yourself using ashalan's wonderful tool.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=3

Or as an alternative you can use mobi2mobi to add the cover to the book.

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 12-04-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: make the link work
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #6
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for your response.
ErwinOtten......Thank you also for your suggestion. However, I like to keep things as simple as possible. I'm quite happy to just buy my books, download and read. The simple life for me. I was just curious as to why the covers didn't always appear. I appreciate your suggestion though.

Go raimh maith agat
Slan.
Mag.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
Thank you all for your response.
ErwinOtten......Thank you also for your suggestion. However, I like to keep things as simple as possible. I'm quite happy to just buy my books, download and read. The simple life for me. I was just curious as to why the covers didn't always appear. I appreciate your suggestion though.

Go raimh maith agat
Slan.
Mag.
Tá failte romhat
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Tá failte romhat
Uh, you got the potential for a discussion starting there, Erwin. The experts and the wannabe language experts have had a decennial battle over these little words as the right or not right answer to "Go raimh maith agat".

LOL.

I just hope there is no idiomatic war breaking out here now.

Slan!
Georges
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quite a lot of commercial eBooks have a plain generic cover, rather than a version of the hardback or paperback cover. I'm not sure why - perhaps their cobversion system isn't set up to handle covers properly, or perhaps there are rights issues.

Most publishers seem to be getting better at this - but that does nothing for the many eBooks out there with dull or nonexistent covers.

I use the mobi2mobi perl script, wrapped in an AppleScript drag&drop applet to add pretty covers.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
I purchase the majority of my ebooks from Fictionwise. Can anybody tell me why the original covers don't always appear when I download to Mobipocket Library or my Cybook? The first chapter of the book appears on Mobipocket library, and a plain cover on my Cybook with only the title of the book. It doesn't happen when I purchase ebooks elsewhere. Am I doing something wrong? What's happening? Would be interested if anyone can offer an explaination.

Go raimh maith agat.

Slan,
Mag.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer

Very well done ErwinOtten. You are absolutely spot on in your reply. A bit of a linguist are you?

Go mhaith,
Slan,
Mag.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Quite a lot of commercial eBooks have a plain generic cover, rather than a version of the hardback or paperback cover. I'm not sure why - perhaps their cobversion system isn't set up to handle covers properly, or perhaps there are rights issues.

Most publishers seem to be getting better at this - but that does nothing for the many eBooks out there with dull or nonexistent covers.

I use the mobi2mobi perl script, wrapped in an AppleScript drag&drop applet to add pretty covers.

Paul
I tried the mobi2mobi with either "--addthumbnail" or "--coverimage" but neither seemed to replace the generic cover. Did I use the wrong argument?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
If you have a .jpg of the cover you can convert it yourself using ashalan's wonderful tool.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=3

Or as an alternative you can use mobi2mobi to add the cover to the book.
It would help if you make the link work properly. Mind redoing it the way the forum wants?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I tried the mobi2mobi with either "--addthumbnail" or "--coverimage" but neither seemed to replace the generic cover. Did I use the wrong argument?
You have to delete the .t2b file in the Cybook in order to have it generate a new thumbnail image for the book.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
vwinstead
Enthusiast
vwinstead began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would help if you make the link work properly. Mind redoing it the way the forum wants?
This is the forum link they were trying to post regarding the cover art info from ashalan:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...cythumbcreator
vwinstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
ErwinOtten
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, I was at my work and did a quick cut/paste out of an old reply. A shame it didn't work.
Vwinstead put up the right link though, thanks.

And Mag, not really a linguist, more a google-r

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 12-04-2008 at 02:08 PM.