Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Incarcerated Pennsylvanians now have to pay $150 to read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...e8f_story.html
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Wow, that's a nasty one.

So, in addition to the financial issues (which are certainly not a small problem for many of them), it means they don't have a list of forbidden books that, for some reason, are denied to inmates - instead they have a list of authorized books, and anything not on the list is just forbidden.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sounds like the Playaway Lock ereader -- preloaded, no connectivity, limited selection and pay through the nose either up front or annual renewals. Hey, if it is good enough for the USMC, USAF and US Navy, it's good enough for criminals.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
This policy is outrageous. Reading material should be free for inmates. Policies like this only help to further alienate and antagonize inmates who'll eventually return to society feeling resentful and very ticked off.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want angry ex-cons being released into society.

(btw, this thread should be moved to the P&R forum)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sounds like the Playaway Lock ereader -- preloaded, no connectivity, limited selection and pay through the nose either up front or annual renewals. Hey, if it is good enough for the USMC, USAF and US Navy, it's good enough for criminals.
I know this is probably sarcastic, but just for the record:

Don't strive down, strive up!

If we accept this reader as the lowest acceptable, and consider military to be better than criminals, then it follows that they should have better than this.
(The key view being: the military should have more than the criminals. NOT that the criminals should have less.
The end result is the same, but the difference is that in one case you take something away, and in the other you add something.
Why destroy if you can build.)

That being said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This policy is outrageous. Reading material should be free for inmates. Policies like this only help to further alienate and antagonize inmates who'll eventually return to society feeling resentful and very ticked off.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want angry ex-cons being released into society.
I fully agree!
What are the inmates supposed to do, sit on their thumbs all day and philosophize about their misdeeds?

People who think that probably also think that the poor should simply starve with dignity instead of becoming criminal or doing "morally ambigous" things.

Quote:
Nooo! I don't want to lose this thread.
I've been in the P&R before, and it's not a nice place.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I agree with the need to eliminate the ability to smuggle drugs into prisons by soaking them into the paper of books.

I hate the sleazy way that was turned into a new method to profit from the incarceration of prisoners.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I agree with the need to eliminate the ability to smuggle drugs into prisons by soaking them into the paper of books.

I hate the sleazy way that was turned into a new method to profit from the incarceration of prisoners.
I think they're afraid that inmates will smuggle in epub files laced with virtual narcotics
Old 10-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I know, this stuff really irks me.

And a lot of what they are charged for is public domain.

I had shared articles over the years on bizarre censorship. where allowed to happen, it will.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I know, this stuff really irks me.

And a lot of what they are charged for is public domain.

I had shared articles over the years on bizarre censorship. where allowed to happen, it will.
This isn't censorship, this is trying to profit from a (literally) captive audience.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder how much trouble one could get into for drone bombing preloaded ebook readers onto prison yards....
Old 10-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I wonder how much trouble one could get into for drone bombing preloaded ebook readers onto prison yards....
Criminal trespassing, littering, smuggling contraband, etc
Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Criminal trespassing, littering, smuggling contraband, etc
“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.”

― Tacitus, The Annals of Imperial Rome
Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.”

― Tacitus, The Annals of Imperial Rome
Absolute criminality by authority. Follow the money. Where's the kick-back?

As Pennsylvania residents they should be able to borrow ebooks from the Free Library of Philadelphia. So for the cost of a Kindle or tablet they could read or even cheaply buy a plethora of books.

I can understand that their may be a problem with contraband drugs, etc. but this solution is madness - or pilfering.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
off topic - sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
I

Quote= Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

I've been in the P&R before, and it's not a nice place.

Amen to that. There was a nice thread going on movies made from books. Moved to a forum. Never heard from again.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #15
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
This isn't censorship, this is trying to profit from a (literally) captive audience.
I meant actual censorship articles I've read over the years, like The Color Purple and Diary of Anne Frank being banned from prisons. This particular movement to only offer a selection of books for purchase controls the reading material and makes it easier to not get publicity turning away books they are banning.

For instance, banning The color Purple, Charlie Brown's Christmas, John Grisham. Alabama banned Slavery By another Name because it talks about unfair racial issues in the country, and Florida banned The New Jim Crow because it puts down some mass incarceration based on the drug war and racial issues. Michigan banned another book that talks about racism, Black Skin, White Masks

With a limited e-book selection and the devices, they can now filter the content even easier while making a profit of it.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote