Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Where are the stock dictionaries located?

I was wondering, and if it is said somewhere in the fora I didn't yet find: where are the preinstalled dictionaries located? I have browsed /, /sys, /usr/share, /ebrmain etc. without finding them (supposing they are indeed stored as .dic)
Part of the question is to understand what I got (e.g. to have an idea of how serious the dictionaries are, size may be vaguely indicative), part for evaluating which dictionaries to copy so that I can use them in coolreader3 too. CR3, I found, only recognizes those which are put in /mnt/ext1/system/dictionaries.
Specifically, I'm on PB631 with firmware 5.17, if that makes a difference.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
For all I know the stock dictionaries are well hidden due to copyright stuff.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

I see. Not all of them should, possibly. The Webster, for instance?

Last edited by EastEriq; 01-13-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The commercial dictionaries are in the /mnt/secure filesystem. That filesystem is mounted under user sreader, and is not accessible to user reader. A few years ago, sreader was the default user on the system, making the files there accessible by all applications. However, newer firmware versions are back to having reader be the default user, so only pocketbook applications owned by the sreader account can access the files there.

On my older devices, I can see the Webster dictionary in /mnt/ext1/system/dictionaries, but my Inkpad doesn't have it there. I guess they moved it into the /mnt/secure filesystem for some reason. Anyway, I recommend getting the RS_Wiktionary dictionary and using that for English-English lookups (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...06&postcount=1). It was built by Ronny Steiner based on current Wiktionary entries at the time (late 2012). I believe he also incorporated the entries from the Webster 1913 dictionary into it, as well. Hat's off to him for sharing his work.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #5
EastEriq
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The commercial dictionaries are in the /mnt/secure filesystem.
That was my guess too. Thanks for confirming. I also grasped that once upon a time there was get_root for this kind of peeping, but the door was closed since then.

Quote:
Anyway, I recommend getting the RS_Wiktionary dictionary and using that for English-English lookups (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...06&postcount=1). It was built by Ronny Steiner based on current Wiktionary entries at the time (late 2012). I believe he also incorporated the entries from the Webster 1913 dictionary into it, as well. Hat's off to him for sharing his work.
Interesting, I'll have a look, thanks.

If there is something I really like of my new reader is this relative openness of the system. Or at least the openness of the community in the span 2009-2012, as I read it from previous threads. Still most of what worked on models of that period applies to mine too, which I find remarkable.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
microminima
microminima began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
Hello!
This is my first post and although I don’t have to say anything about dictionaries I would like to ask how do you manage to get access on “/, /sys, /usr/share, /ebrmain etc” (PB631)?
Is there any app or wiki?
Thanks
microminima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
You can use the pbterm application to get a terminal on the device itself. If you have networking, you can use the utelnetd or sshd applications to get a remote terminal. The utelnetd application provides a more powerful terminal (has command history and editing, can use vi,...). Search this forum for these applications.

If all you want to do is copy the files there, you can write a shell script to do that, copy it to the applications folder with a .app suffix, and run it from the Applications menu.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
****edit******* responded to wrong thread. do not know how to delete LOL
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:41 AM   #9
EastEriq
Groupie

Indeed I explored the filesystem using pbterm. The one from http://users.physik.fu-berlin.de/~jtt/PB/ works fine for me. As komar says, you can also use utelnetd. I installed the -Pro from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=183401 together with sh_ivtool, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=163556
Besides thanking komar for all his work, I can confirm they work on the 631.

The wiki on apps is at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PocketBook_apps

Last edited by EastEriq; 01-24-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:31 AM   #10
microminima
microminima began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
OK
thank you very much
utelnetd works
Sorry for the off topic
microminima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
preinstalled dictionaries, system file locations