Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
geza
geza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You can rename the epub from name.epub to name.zip or name.png and email it to Amazon and Amazon will convert it for you. See this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288964 but read it carefully. Some posters (including OP were quite confused).
Thanks, I'll try it.
geza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by geza View Post

Do you know more about "PDOC setting within calibre"?
it is in lots of threads, here

search here or google pdoc calibre kindle

there is a field which you set to one of PDOC, EBOK or leave blank, and next to that is a box you tick or not for facebook sharing, which also affects whether books can sync - you can have only one of share it or sync it
all that is somewhere on the conversion screens

not also that before you re convert a book, you have to clear previously used conversion values for that book as they are saved and re-used on a per-book basis
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:15 AM   #18
geza

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it is in lots of threads, here

search here or google pdoc calibre kindle

there is a field which you set to one of PDOC, EBOK or leave blank, and next to that is a box you tick or not for facebook sharing, which also affects whether books can sync - you can have only one of share it or sync it
all that is somewhere on the conversion screens

not also that before you re convert a book, you have to clear previously used conversion values for that book as they are saved and re-used on a per-book basis
I found it... and it was there already. So my files were correctly marked as PDOCs. I think I give up on the issue. It seems everything is set correctly, yet some book just won't sync when I convert them with Calibre on my PC, but they do work if I use an online service (where they most likely use Calibre). That's it. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
sorry I could not help more, but if the links below do not help either,, then either leave it or wait for another troubleshooter to join in...

1. a guide here , for non-amazon books
https://www.epubor.com/whispersync-for-kindle.html#p2

2. a better article here , which says the solution is to do with how accurately calibre finds , downloads, adds metadata. your non-amazon books need this ( & maybe the online route supplies it ? )
http://teleread.com/glitches-in-amaz...cue/index.html
"A Reddit thread finally gave me the answer: Amazon doesn’t care if you bought their book. But they do care if you have their metadata. Your file needs to be encoded with Amazon’s book ID in order for the sync to work properly."
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #20
geza

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Amazon doesn’t care if you bought their book. But they do care if you have their metadata. Your file needs to be encoded with Amazon’s book ID in order for the sync to work properly."[/I]
Thanks, that is very plausible. I will test this now... I really appreciate your and everyone's help or intent :-)

Edit: More confusing stuff... I tried a book with not even ISBN number in the metadata, definitely no Amazon ASIN. Yet the book can be whispersync without any trouble. So I really out of ideas...

Last edited by geza; 11-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.