Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Loathed holiday movies

In thinking about Christmas movies, I tend to rate them in four categories: Love, it makes Christmas for me; like it, brings cheer; don’t especially like it, but I don’t mind being in the same room; hate with the fire of a thousand burning suns.

So, I’ve got two other people in my Christmas bubble and we’ve come up with a plan for watching Christmas movies, namely, that each person gets two vetoes. In discussing the movies and our favorites, it’s already become obvious that each of us already knows what our first veto will be. For one, it’s The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan. I’m ok with that, as I think it drags. It would be in the third category for me. For the second, it’s Christmas in Connecticut starring Barbara Stanwyck, and that’s a pity, as it’s in my love it category. I’ll have to cue it up some late evening when I’m by myself. My own is Love, Actually, starring too many people to mention and I won’t go into why I hate it so much, but loathe it I do.

So what are other people’s no-go holiday movies?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Home Alone - worst Xmas movie ever! And all sequels!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Elf (and all other movies with Will Ferrell)

Rankin/Bass Christmas movies

...more to follow
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Home Alone - worst Xmas movie ever! And all sequels!
...sacrilege!!!

Home Alone 1 & 2 are my very favorite Christmas movies. I agree with you on the rest of the sequels.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I tend to avoid watching Christmas movies other than It's a Wonderful Life, The Bells of St. Mary's (not a lot of Christmas in that, but I still consider it a Christmas movie), and Miracle on 34th Street.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I tend to avoid watching Christmas movies other than It's a Wonderful Life, The Bells of St. Mary's (not a lot of Christmas in that, but I still consider it a Christmas movie), and Miracle on 34th Street.
The Bells of St. Mary’s but not Going My Way? I like GMW well enough and I like it more when I skip the parts with Risë Stevens.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't really like any Christmas movies. I'm not big on Christmas in general, or on any other holidays. Just not my thing. My family celebrates holidays, though, Christmas included, so I have to participate too. No escaping it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Bells of St. Mary’s but not Going My Way? I like GMW well enough and I like it more when I skip the parts with Risë Stevens.
I have never seen Going My Way. Why, I don't know. Maybe this year.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
There is, of course, only one Xmas movie, ever.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:53 AM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I really like Christmas Vacation because it isn’t too sappy. Anything that can go wrong does, but they still have a nice Christmas family gathering. I also like A Christmas Story because it reminds me of being young once, although I’m two decades later than Little Ralphy.

My favorite one is the 1984 version of A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott.

I hate Home Alone, and every Lifetime Movie channel Christmas movie (I’m not into the soap opera, love story theme).
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
My favorite one is the 1984 version of A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott.
My favorite version of A Christmas Carol, also! My next favorite is the Mr. Magoo version. Seriously. It sticks close to the story (although it switches the order of the ghosts, oddly) and it has great songs. It’s best to lose the framing device of a Broadway show, however; that aspect is painful.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't get too bent over any I can think of, but I'm not sure I've ever been able to watch Disney's "Babes in Toyland" remake/reimagining from beginning to end. That's discounting, of course, the scads of modern Christmas-esque movies I know better than to try and watch.

Favorite "A Christmas Carol" adaptation? "Scrooged".

Favorite Sleeper: "Joyeaux Noel"

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-14-2020 at 11:24 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
My favorite version of A Christmas Carol, also! My next favorite is the Mr. Magoo version. Seriously. It sticks close to the story (although it switches the order of the ghosts, oddly) and it has great songs. It’s best to lose the framing device of a Broadway show, however; that aspect is painful.
I found the Patrick Stewart version too much like the actor! He is a good actor, but it seems like he over acts as usual, giving it a theatrical feeling.

There is a movie from the last few years that is the story of Dickens and how he came to write his famous Christmas tale. It is called The Man Who Invented Christmas. While not a traditional Christmas movie, it is nonetheless a good watch. Christopher Plummer is in it.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A thumbs up from me, too.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quote:
A thumbs up from me, too.
Ack! Just noticed my typo. The missing umlaut is at least somewhat understandable, but....
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote