Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #1096
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Glam Hobby h6902B Head Mount Magnifier with LED Head Light Bracket and Headband, 5 Replaceable and Interchangeable Lenses: 1.0X, 1.5X, 2.0X, 2.5X, 3.5X
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #1097
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Although the font isn't tiny, it's smaller than I'm used to after years of using ereaders, but I'll manage.

@Apache, I just might need something like those soon!

@badgoodDeb, Unfortunately the link just leads to a page with lots of items on it.

We get really spoiled by the changeable font types on ereaders.
Have a look at The Loupe Store - they have a good selection with or without lights, some have head bands, others clip onto existing spectacles.

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #1098
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm currently reading Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. In it, there is a description of a sculpture of a woman carrying a beehive, and there is a bee on her eyeball. I think I recall a similar description of a sculpture in another book I read.

I thought that this might be a famous sculpture, but googling didn't turn up anything. Anyone recall reading a book that includes a similar description of a sculpture?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #1099
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Neither of these is probably what you want, but they're interesting! My google results found:

Aganetha Dyck living Canadian artist b 1937 works with live beehives

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...mRU-2UaEc3uTMM

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...AAAAB0AAAAAEAg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygEegUIARDcAQ

----------------------------

Or this exhibit by a different artist, at the MOMA
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1537
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #1100
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Neither of these is probably what you want, but they're interesting! My google results found:

Aganetha Dyck living Canadian artist b 1937 works with live beehives

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...mRU-2UaEc3uTMM

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...AAAAB0AAAAAEAg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygEegUIARDcAQ

----------------------------

Or this exhibit by a different artist, at the MOMA
https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1537
Thanks for the links.

I'm more interested in the book (if there was one); this is going to nag me, because I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me. I recall a story about an underground city (or library) that gets flooded at the end?
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #1101
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm currently reading Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. In it, there is a description of a sculpture of a woman carrying a beehive, and there is a bee on her eyeball. I think I recall a similar description of a sculpture in another book I read.

I thought that this might be a famous sculpture, but googling didn't turn up anything. Anyone recall reading a book that includes a similar description of a sculpture?

Thanks.
I think this is the book that I sort of remembered, The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern:

Quote:
... Inside are benches and a life-size statue of a woman seated in a stone chair. Her gown falls around the chair in realistically carved rippling cloth, and everywhere, in her lap, on her arms, tucked into the creases of her gown and the curls in her hair there are bees. ...
Old 09-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #1102
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
A YA sci-fi short story probably from the 60s or 70s. AFAICR, it's about a psychic kid who replaces all the twinkly radioactive stuff in nuclear missiles with presents at xmas time.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:51 AM   #1103
bartory
bartory began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Name of the Book

I am looking for a book where the main character is a royalty he is in a ship suddenly the captain abandons the ship and he to survive pretend that he is brave and becomes captain of the ship henceforth he goes from planet to planet conquering and increasing the fleet to fight the same captain who left him to die on the ship.
Obs:
The father he thought was dead is a pirate he ends up killing
His future wife ends up having 9 children
Robot
I think the book was called general who or something.

Don't bother with my bad writing
bartory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #1104
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Ok, so I read this book in 2013 or 2014, as an ebook. It is a new adult (college aged people). The heroine was brutally raped, attacked outside the bar/resturant she worked at. The hero was a guy who happened to see her and called the police. Later they meet normally and he doesn't remember her as being the one he called the police on. They get into a relationship. I can't remember the name of this book or the author. I just know I read it and would like to find it in my library so I can update Goodreads. I am sure I will know it once I see the title or the cover.

Found it: Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan.

Thankfully Amazon sent my my data and I had it in my Kindle Unliited list.

Last edited by Rellwood; 06-05-2021 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Found Answer
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #1105
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartory View Post
I am looking for a book where the main character is a royalty he is in a ship suddenly the captain abandons the ship and he to survive pretend that he is brave and becomes captain of the ship henceforth he goes from planet to planet conquering and increasing the fleet to fight the same captain who left him to die on the ship.
Obs:
The father he thought was dead is a pirate he ends up killing
His future wife ends up having 9 children
Robot
I think the book was called general who or something.

Don't bother with my bad writing

Unfortunately, you've revealed way too many spoilers.

Here's a spoiler from the film Shane (as an example, if you're not familiar with that word):
...and then Shane kills the bad guy and decides to leave the woman and the boy whom he now cares deeply about, having taught the boy more than the father has taught his own son about life. He rides away and the movie ends as the boy cries out, "Shane, come back!"

Now, here's the same thing in spoiler marks:

Spoiler:
Here's a spoiler from the film Shane (as an example, if you're not familiar with that word): ...and then Shane kills the bad guy and decides to leave the woman and the boy whom he now cares deeply about, having taught the boy more than the father has taught his own son about life. He rides away and the movie ends as the boy cries out, "Shane, come back!"

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-07-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:31 AM   #1106
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Help Please looking for a short story

ill make it short. if you have read it, you will know it. Time travelers invent a time machine, go to the future and when they come back, they won't talk about what they saw, and just start drinking. Turns out they saw a statue of a cockroach wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase. Anybody know the author or title?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:00 AM   #1107
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Hm, I remember a similar short story, where the time traveller came back, and didn't remember anything. The only thing they remembered was that they had been given a guided tour, shown everything, and before returning they had been given the choice of remembering or forgetting what they had seen...
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #1108
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post

ill make it short. if you have read it, you will know it. Time travelers invent a time machine, go to the future and when they come back, they won't talk about what they saw, and just start drinking. Turns out they saw a statue of a cockroach wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase. Anybody know the author or title?

This sounds like a hoot!

It also sounds like some people I've met.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #1109
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post

I've not read it (and the statue of the cockroach is not wearing a suit per se), but possibly this?

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...rom-the-future
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #1110
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
that looks like a good story, but alas, not the one im looking for. This one for sure had the cockroach in a suit and carrying a briefcase. Also, there is another one where some guys were transformed to go down to jupitor, big hulking rhino type bodies, but none of them wanted to come back, turned out that that form was much better than human form. Those are the two that are in my mind to search for. Anybody know a site that might help with these kind of questions? Maybe like Penzler or something?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths