Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #31
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
jscris - thanks for the feedback!

You didn't do anything wrong (I think!)

What controller are you using? A mouse or keyboard or the same (or similar) presentation device I have?

This issue could be these:

1. The usb otg adaptor (the thing that connects to the kindle to let you plug in 'normal' size usb devices) - this could be broken. When first testing, the one I had was bad, it was very confusing!

2. It's possible that everything is set up and working ok - but because I only tested for my usb device, I got a bit lazy.
I can make it work with more devices easily enough. I'll do it tomorrow.
Same presenter you have. I used the same adapter to attach to an Android tablet, just to be sure because I'd never used that adapter before, and to check the presenter since it just arrived in the mail, and it did work, so I don't think that's the problem. Since it's the same usb device you're using, not sure that's the problem either. One thing I did notice: in the presenter instructions it says the light will go on on the receiver as well as the transmitter. There is no light on the receiver. Does your receiver have a light?

I ordered a different adapter.

Last edited by jscris; 09-28-2016 at 07:19 PM.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I know! I'm (A) leery of jailbreaking, except I've read that it's easily undone, and (B) not real keen on exercising either. So, I wasn't in a great hurry ....
Sorry, that was just a poor attempt at humor.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #33
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sorry, that was just a poor attempt at humor.
I wasn't complaining. Just agreeing with you! I'm still reading this thread with interest.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:56 AM   #34
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
@jscris - please don't order another adaptor, save your money!
It works fine in your android device so I am sure there is no problem.
Mine also has no light on the usb side, just on the controller itself.

If it says it does have one in the instructions, ignore it, they weren't the best instructions
There are some features it has that it doesn't mention!
For example holding up+down together for a few seconds until the led flashes a few times, this will cycle the two buttons to pageup/pagedown->up/down->lef/right->pageup...

Anyway I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-29-2016 at 04:01 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #35
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Ok, I will need to stress that, if you restart whilst the osb otg adaptor is connected, the kindle will not boot and will enter diagnostics mode. (Even without running KindleLazy or having the device attached to the otg adapter)

This is easy to exit: (of course remove the usb otherwise it will continue)
Click the 2nd to last option 'Reboot or Disable Diags'
Then, the 3nd to last option, 'EXIT DISABLE Disable Diagnostics'

Sorry knc1, I couldn't get the kernel dump from the kindle, I would need ssh over usb yes? I haven't set that up.
I noticed I have the rescue pack installed - is that why I am going into diags? And without the rescue pack it would have been a brick?

--

Ok, a new version, it should be better now:
https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLaz...kindlelazy.zip
Extract the zip, put the 'kindlelazy' folder into 'extensions'.

Let me know how it works (it seems good for me!)

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-29-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Advert
Old 09-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #36
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NiLuJe has said that most of what crp does is (re-) install usbnet into the diags partition.
The (re-) because at one time, Kindles shipped with usbnet working in diags.

The two are probably related.
The having crp and the otg adapter installed.

You may have missed the post, but NiLuJe wrote that he would look into the interaction of crp (which wasn't intended to sense an otg adapter) and having the otg adapter installed.
Then see if he could stop that behavior.

And then the new school term started and his free time evidently disappeared.

Now, maybe we don't want him to change anything.

I think we should probable leave things as they are until he has time to consult with us.

The:
"Always unplug adapter before re-booting."
Isn't too great a hardship on the users since Kindles normally are never re-booted in normal use.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #37
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

I'm not sure what happened to the post I wrote earlier. I was reporting the result with 0.7 and the KV is that page turns work!! Light change doesn't work, but this is progress!

I'm not sorry I ordered the new adapter as I think this one with the cord is going to be a problem. The cord flopping around when the kindle is moved may eventually damage the usb port on the kindle

Thank you!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #38
zxczxc
Addict

Very good to hear.

Ah, I thought you meant a new controller device - you mean you bought a new OTG adaptor. Ok, no problem

The new version should be finished soon, by tomorrow.
I thought I fixed and improved it, but like most things, it broke
Old 09-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #39
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
Very good to hear.

Ah, I thought you meant a new controller device - you mean you bought a new OTG adaptor. Ok, no problem

The new version should be finished soon, by tomorrow.
I thought I fixed and improved it, but like most things, it broke
It's improved in that page turns work on the KV! The light adjustment would be nice and koreader even nicer for me, but the page turns are the most important.

Good to know about not leaving the adapter plugged in when rebooting. I guess I didn't since I didn't have any problems.

When you say hotplugging won't work, I'm assuming now that you mean while KindleLazy is activated not while the kindle on. I've turned KL off, removed the adapter. Put it back, turned KL on and it still worked.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
- - - -
When you say hotplugging won't work, I'm assuming now that you mean while KindleLazy is activated not while the kindle on. I've turned KL off, removed the adapter. Put it back, turned KL on and it still worked.

When people doing kernel work write: "Hot plugging does not work" they also mean that "Hot un-plugging" does not work either.

In the sequence you posted above, you manually enabled the inserted device and manually disabled the inserted device.

"Hot Plug" in Linux means insert additional system hardware.
Some operating systems call this: "Plug and Play".
(and "Hot un-Plug" == "un-Play and un-Plug" but I don't think that other OS ever uses that phrase.)

In Linux, the two go hand-in-hand, only by programming error can you have one without the other.

There is also a "cold plug" system, which is rarely written of these days, since the "hot plug" system has been extended to do both 'hot and cold' plugging.
You can leave that one in the hands of the hot plug code author.
It is really a " Don't need to know " topic.

Last edited by knc1; 09-29-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #41
jscris
Addict

>Some operating systems call this: "Plug and Play"<

With Windows it means while the OS is on. With the kindle I was assuming it meant while the app/mod was active rather than when the kindle was on. Not leaving the adapter plugged in while restarting the kindle confirmed that... I think.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

By "OS is on" do you mean up and having completed initialization, ready for the user?

How can the app/mod be active when the Kindle was not on?
PS: Kindle's are never "power-off" unless you pull the battery.

Please re-word that, I am sure you are using "on" and "active" in a non-technical sense.

I have not read the code, but I am pretty sure the KL menu entries are substituting for the missing "hot plug" feature.
I.E: Because they would not be needed if "hot plug" was working.

Try this SPECIFIC sequence:
Use the KL menu to disable this feature.
Remove whatever is plugged into the USB connector on the Kindle.
Verify that use of the USB connector is the same behavior as a stock Kindle.

Leave nothing connected to the USB connector.

Press and hold the power button for at least 20 seconds, ignore any pop-up panels.

Watch the Kindle do a complete, power-on, re-boot.

Do not touch anything else!
Plug the adapter back in and check:
Does the new features work as intended?
Yes - hot plug is working
No - hot plug is not working
Old 09-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #43
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
By "OS is on" do you mean up and having completed initialization, ready for the user?

How can the app/mod be active when the Kindle was not on?
PS: Kindle's are never "power-off" unless you pull the battery.

Please re-word that, I am sure you are using "on" and "active" in a non-technical sense.

I have not read the code, but I am pretty sure the KL menu entries are substituting for the missing "hot plug" feature.
I.E: Because they would not be needed if "hot plug" was working.

Try this SPECIFIC sequence:
Use the KL menu to disable this feature.
Remove whatever is plugged into the USB connector on the Kindle.
Verify that use of the USB connector is the same behavior as a stock Kindle.

Leave nothing connected to the USB connector.

Press and hold the power button for at least 20 seconds, ignore any pop-up panels.

Watch the Kindle do a complete, power-on, re-boot.

Do not touch anything else!
Plug the adapter back in and check:
Does the new features work as intended?
Yes - hot plug is working
No - hot plug is not working
Non-technical? Absolutely. Little old lady here and I'd rather not brick my kindle. Trying to be as specific as I can to be sure I'm doing it right.

Now, the last four instructions left out one thing--activating KL.

Complete power on and reboot, plug the adapter back in, start KL, yes it works.
Complete power on and reboot, start KL, plug the adapter back in, no it doesn't work.
To me that is hot plugging not working, but apparently I'm wrong?

But like I said, I'm just trying to test on the KV as best I can, hoping it will help.

I'm curious about the battery usage.

Last edited by jscris; 09-29-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

You hit the EXACT POINT of the post -

I did not leave out KL - That and your use of it is a substitute for hot plug.
I wanted you to demonstrate to yourself that hot plug is not working (yet).

Human intervention will not be required once hot plug is complete.

No more than human intervention is required to show USB storage when you plug in a USB cable to your PC.

Last edited by knc1; 09-29-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #45
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I started workign on a kernel module that would present a device in the form of /dev/input/persistentEvdev1,2,3 etc.

But then Warcrafts new expansion came out, and I moved to that :-).

For the mouse, the standard mousedev.c we have for linux will present /dev/input/mice, but that doesnt help with keyboard events, though that is what I was basing mine on.

I was trying to get the evdev kernel module to make that work, just combining all evdev events into one master device.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, remote control