Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
geekspertise
geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thumbs down Kobo Support Nightmare: Aura with Blown Pixels

I ordered an Onyx Aura HD on 4/20, and it took several days to get any answers out of the company about shipping, but it eventually shipped and I received it on 4/29.

I opened it, took it out of the box, performed the software update, and turned on the backlight for the first time to reveal an impressive blown pixel near the bottom of the screen. There are no problems with the backlight out, but with it on, it's quite prominent (see attached image). Luckily it's in an area of the screen that rarely sees text. Within 30 minutes of unboxing my new reader, I contacted customer support and had to initiate the exchange process. Since the initial report, I discovered two smaller blown pixels near the upper right corner. They are smaller and unobtrusive, but the screen is clearly defective.

They sent me a form to fill out and requested a picture of the damage, so I sent the same one you should see. I triple checked the information, and I sent the form off. Soon after, Kobo verified the damage, and agreed to send me a replacement reader. This was on 4/29.

On 5/15 (about 2.5 weeks later), after talking to them via the phone, web chat, email, and Twitter virtually every day, they finally issued me a tracking number for a replacement. They claim they were having problems with their shipper. The reality (and what I believe to be the truth) is that they wanted to burn up the rest of the 15 day return period, so I could no longer get a refund.

I track the Canadapost package, and it gets to the local office and is immediately returned to sender, because the "Recipient is not at the address." So I immediately contact the company by both Twitter and phone, and they say they'll look into it. Then I get a tweet from @kobohelp telling me that a rep has emailed me. I open the email address to find that they sent the package to the WRONG address despite having my address correct on the form and in my original purchase order.

I email Kobo back and paste the original form highlighting my address and all of what I wrote in BOLD text, and send it back to them. Not only did they have my address wrong, but they also had the color wrong, because the person who sent the replacement device seems to have challenges with reading, which is ironic seeing as they're an e-book/e-reader company.

I promptly contacted MasterCard and issued a chargeback/dispute. After Kobo sat around for nearly 2.5 weeks before sending a replacement, clearly exceeding the refund period, I feel like I've been given the royal runaround by rude reps at every turn.

I have no plans to deal with Kobo directly in the future. If I buy another product, I'll buy it through a third party and slap a warranty on it. I'm done with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130429_161541.jpg
Views:	2852
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	106091  
geekspertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
geekspertise
geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.

FYI, within two hours of filing the dispute with MasterCard and tweeting this information to @kobohelp, I got a personal call from the Level 2 rep who has been dealing with my case to inform me that they are shipping me a brand new unit by close of business today.
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
I am glad that a brand new Aura is finally on its way to you. I hope you get a good one with no faults on the screen. I don't blame you for being annoyed with Kobo for their poor customer service....I would be too, if that had happened to me. Here's hoping that Kobo will put in the resources necessary to make their customer service a first-rate experience.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I have a similar issue where there are "dead" pixels when light feature is used.

I bought mine at an Indigo store so I was able to quickly exchange it.

I had to go through two exchanges until I got a good device.

Don't be surprised if the replacement have a defect as well.

I highly suspect there is a bad production batch for these Aura devices.

Somehow Q&A are not checking the light screen on these Auras.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I have a similar issue where there are "dead" pixels when light feature is used.
Thanks for putting dead in quotes. Somehow, the habit of referring to a damaged light guide as a dead or blown or stuck pixel strikes me as being a silly way of referring to the problem.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post

I bought mine at an Indigo store so I was able to quickly exchange it.

I had to go through two exchanges until I got a good device.

Don't be surprised if the replacement have a defect as well.

I highly suspect there is a bad production batch for these Aura devices.

Somehow Q&A are not checking the light screen on these Auras.
Out of curiosity, have you written down their series number?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
dav1203
dav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to beholddav1203 is a marvel to behold

Device: PRS-T1
I have the same issue, and it's the second...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...522164429.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...522164439.jpg/
dav1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Out of curiosity, have you written down their series number?
Sorry, I did not write down the serial numbers for the defective devices.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
geekspertise

Kobo FINALLY claims they shipped my Aura today, but their "system" won't update with the tracking number until Monday. So hopefully I should have it by mid next week at the latest. I'll believe it when I'm holding a replacement in my hands.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks for putting dead in quotes. Somehow, the habit of referring to a damaged light guide as a dead or blown or stuck pixel strikes me as being a silly way of referring to the problem.

Regards,
David
I call mine a "hot pixel". Although it's not exactly the same as the hot pixels in photography, they very much look like those bright spots in digital pictures.

Luckily it is very small, almost invisible, and in the upper right corner where I hardly see it.

I also have some "light smudges" in the higher brightness settings (above 50%). But those are only really visible in strange angles and especially on the Solitaire selection screen (which is really not important).

Since I don't see them in normal use (not even when reading manga) they don't bother me enough to exchange my device.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
geekspertise

Thumbs down All Replacement Shipments from 5/23 Returned to Kobo

So Kobo finally claimed to ship my replacement Aura out on 5/23, and promised me a tracking number yesterday. I emailed them today to find out about the tracking number I never received, and it turns out that all of the replacement devices that were "shipped" on 5/23 were returned to the Kobo site by the courier.

I am yet again waiting for a valid tracking number and have received assurances from Kobo that my new device is going out today. The lunatics are running the asylum up there.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"All the replacement devices that were shipped out on 5/23 were returned to the Kobo site by the courier."

On top of being told that, you never received a tracking number. Wow, just wow. Sadly, it seems they shoot themselves in the foot more times before 6am than other companies do all day long! As a consumer you're left to debate whether they're merely incompetent or misleading you about ever shipping any replacements -especially after not getting the replacement shipped in the two days earlier as promised. I mean, I could understand if a shipment is late, or they are temporarily out of stock, but I have a hard time personally with what sounds like BS. I hope they do better for you.

Good luck!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As the tracking number is probably supplied by the delivery company, the return of all the shipments probably explains why they didn't send you one. And until they send it out again, they probably don't have the tracking number.

But, if you don't get it today, yell at them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Still doesn't explain why it was also not sent on the two days prior as was promised by the Level Two Rep on the 21st according to the OP...

My finely tuned BS Detector may just explode.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

Device: IQ
I have the same issue with my new Kobo Aura (non HD). Two very bright wholes in the epaper where the frontlight shines through. very anoying. If this is a common problem I might just return the device and go for a new kindle or something...
RezzZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura hd, bad customer service, defective screen, kobo, return nightmare