Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Stupid DJVU books!!! :-)

I have some DJVU books, and it appears that Calibre won't convert or view them, other threads seem to say that it's simply not supported.

1. Why? I don't really mind as it's a minority of my books, but if Calibre supports everything else almost why not DJVU? Especially for my Russian scientist friends who love it.

2. What do you guys/girls do with your DJVU books to use them with calibre? Convert? Grin and bear it? What conversion tool do you recommend?
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
darrenlee
darrenlee began at the beginning.

Device: none
@iridius,I have many djvu ebooks in my Calibre library.Just simply using Open With plugin to open djvu files with specified viewer other than the internal one is good enough for me.I think you should try it.
darrenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
I view them using DJVULibre, but when I want to send something to my Kindle or iPhone I have to convert it, so I am looking for other ideas in that realm.

Are you saying there is a "plugin" specifically for Calibre for viewing DJVU files? I didn't see one. Can you post a link if that's what you meant. Thanks

Also I'm curious as to why DJVU is not supported in an program that is all great at so many formats.

Thanks
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
Are you saying there is a "plugin" specifically for Calibre for viewing DJVU files? I didn't see one. Can you post a link if that's what you meant. Thanks
You can use the Open With plugin to configure calibre to open a DJVU file with an existing app of your choice on your computer. Using this plugin you can right click on a book and select the program you wish to use to open the selected book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
Also I'm curious as to why DJVU is not supported in an program that is all great at so many formats.
All conversions with the exception of CBZ are essentially text based conversions and CBZ uses standard images for comics that are supported by all ereaders.

DJVU is a graphic format for scanned books. Most ereaders are optimized to handle reflowing text based html on a small screen. If the DJVU images were converted to a size to fit your Kindle you wouldn't be able to read the printed words and couldn't resize the image. This is true of image based PDFs when converted too.

If the the end result was to create a text based book from the DJVU image then some sort of intensive OCR work would have to happen converting the images to text. The effort in programming and time required to accomplish this (not to mention manual editing/cleanup of converted books) compared to the number DJVU users requesting it just doesn't add up.

If I had a bunch of DJVU books I would buy a reader that handles that format.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dxg and newfound Icarus 8
iridius:

Google 'djview4' ... views djvu and converts djvu to pdf (not always well, but ..)

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab7vf View Post
iridius:

Google 'djview4' ... views djvu and converts djvu to pdf (not always well, but ..)

Jim
Hi!

I have installed djview4 but I can't see how to convert to PDF with it. I have tried the SAVE AS and EXPORT features in the FILE menu, but unsuccessfully.
Can you walk me through step by step, please. It shouldn't be long. There is something I must be missing.

Thank you

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
DjVuLibre's own DjView viewer allows you to convert .djvu to pdf (menu bar: File>Export as...).

It also allows you to print the document so one can also use a virtual printer such as PrimoPDF or PDFCreator (Google finds them) to convert to pdf.

But in the end it is just as easy to read the documents in a djvu viewer as it is to read a pdf; and neither will convert well to anything else.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote