View Poll Results: Do you use Calibre?
Yes 202 89.38%
No 21 9.29%
Other. (Leave a comment in the thread) 5 2.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2019, 02:29 AM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post

I guess this isn't a good use of Calibre, but I'm not really feeling like I'm missing anything right now.
Other than being able to update Goodreads by percentage without sacrificing other information you want displayed on your reader, of course.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:28 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Do I really have to list all the SW ( library for book) ... etc ?

Or what exactly do you want !? Do I have to apologize for being happy with Caliber or what ?
There are numerous threads where people look for an alternative to Calibre because they do not like some feature (like rigid folder system). Usually those discussions lead nowhere because most of people think there is no meaningful alternative(*). The vast majority of people never heard of the alternatives you are listing in your post.

(*) and there really is no software that would do half of what Calibre does in a single package.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracleoftruth View Post
I did use it but now that I have a chromebook I can't use it. If there was a chrome or android app or an online version I would absolutely use it.
Install Linux on the Chromebook. Chrome OS is really just a 21st C internet terminal version of 1960s mainframe Terminals. Totally dependant on Google. Everything you do & have on ChromeOS is known by Google.

With Linux Mint (and Mate desktop), Waterfox or Firefox Browser you'll have Calibre, Gimp, LibreOffice, WINE (many old 32bit windows and some 64bit Windows), DOSBox AND every Google service/tool that is on a Chromebook, if you want it. Note you may need to uninstall WINE64 and manually install WINE32 first (Only MS OFFICE 2003 is good on Wine, though OFFICE 2007 also works, but LibreOffice 5.x & 6.x is now better for most users).

Test with a Live USB Memory stick.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-24-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
I don't have my books in Calibre. I only use Calibre per book, mostly to convert (or make a pretty cover for fanfic books). And then I delete the book from Calibre.

But I have all my books in separate folders on my computer and on my Kobo/Kindle. I have a To Read folder, and then folders pers genre (YA, fanfic, horror, like those). How else would I be able to see which books I haven't read on my e-reader? Now I just open my To Read Library.

I guess this isn't a good use of Calibre, but I'm not really feeling like I'm missing anything right now.
I've bolded the question I am answering.

You create a custom column for eBooks you've read or not read. Then when you want to see what you've read or not, you do a simple search using that column. There are things you can do in Calibre that you cannot do in your directory structure. You can see both read and unread books. You can see what books you've read by a specific author and if you have any unread book by that author. You will have all your books together so you can see them as you like. When you plug in your Reader to the computer you'd be able to see what book you have on your reader.

There is a lot you can do with Calibre that a directory structure cannot do. I had a directory setup similar to what you have and since switching to Calibre, I would never go back. It just doesn't work as well.

One thing you can do that no directory structure can do is manage collections on your Kobo. And you can have all book in a series labeled as such.

I suggest giving Calibre a proper try and see how you get on. You may find you like it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-24-2019 at 07:41 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Do I really have to list all the SW ( library for book) I used on Ubuntu + Windows instead of Calibre, how Okular, Lucidor, Bookworm, Easy Ebook Viewer, Buka, GNOME Books,Icecream, eLibrary, Bibliovore, Bookvisor, Freda, Cover, Sumatra,EpubReader, Nook, Kobo, Bookvise reader, Book Bazar Reader, Legimi, Shelift, Tucan, DReader, Readium etc ?

Or what exactly do you want !? Do I have to apologize for being happy with Caliber or what ?

- I need to reformat the book from ePub to Kepub, I will use Calibre (I used to often use Epubor) .
- I want a library of books, I'll use Calibre (before I used Book Bazar , csBooks).
- I want to connect wirelessly to my library directly from my device (reader), i use Calibre.
- When I need to edit a book, I use Calibre (I used to often use SIGIL before)
- When I need to upload "methadones" to a book, I use Calibre.

* In short, I am satisfied with Caliber and I have no reason what to change .
But can those other programs do what Calibre does? Are they as versatile? Do they support so many Readers/devices to send eBook to them? Do they have the plugins to expand the functionality? What can those other programs do that Calibre cannot do that we'd want done?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've bolded the question I am answering.

You create a custom column for eBooks you've read or not read.
Is there a post on the forums about how to do this? I have a "Percent Read" column, but not a "read status" column, it would be very useful.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
But can those other programs do what Calibre does? Are they as versatile? Do they support so many Readers/devices to send eBook to them? Do they have the plugins to expand the functionality? What can those other programs do that Calibre cannot do that we'd want done?
Well, those programs obviously aren't as good (and as versatile) as Calibre for the original poster and that is why he is using Calibre now
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #23
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Is there a post on the forums about how to do this? I have a "Percent Read" column, but not a "read status" column, it would be very useful.
Not sure. There's a Calibre Manual but adding a column is super simple. Right click the columns row and choose "Add your own column" from the menu, then follow the prompts.

I have a similar setup to the one JSWolf described and some saved searches that help me track which unread books are not on the reader.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Not sure. There's a Calibre Manual but adding a column is super simple. Right click the columns row and choose "Add your own column" from the menu, then follow the prompts.

I have a similar setup to the one JSWolf described and some saved searches that help me track which unread books are not on the reader.
Yes, I've added several columns myself, I was just wondering whether the read/unread status had to be entered manually, or could be derived somehow, the way the percentage read is
Old 09-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #25
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
I think we do not understand each other.. Either I wrote it wrong, or you misunderstood it.
I voted for YES.
I wrote, that I use "Calibre" instead of other software.

- Since using only "Calibre" now, the other software I use not , I can not know in what direction their development or new offers.
(and a year is a long time, programs are developing, updating. I have been using Calibre for more than a year, so I don't know what's going on in the world of software_readers. As I wrote. With calibre I am satisfied, i have no reason to change it.)

- Or else, when I use one thing, I don't care what others do.
- I do not know, and unfortunately does not know everything, as it was not given to me the power of endless knowledge..

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-24-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: correction "caliber" to "calibre"
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Yes, I've added several columns myself, I was just wondering whether the read/unread status had to be entered manually, or could be derived somehow, the way the percentage read is
It can be calculated with a composite column (derived from the percentage column). I don't know exactly how to type it now (and I don't use the normal syntax as I'm better defining function in python), but you can do it for sure.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
How do you want to use it? You can add a column as suggested, or a column based on this one as Terisa suggested. If it is for searching, you can just search for a value of 100. For display, I use a column icon that overlays the percent read column with a tick to show it has been finished. I also use a reading list that populates a tag-like status column which is then used to create collections. That one is really for the "to read" and "reading" collections, plus a couple of other statuses, but it creates a finished collection as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Oh... and one of the reasons for using Calibre is that there is an (unofficial) plugin by Apprentice Alf/Harper/others that can remove DRM* from e-books when importing them. This is absolutely essential for me, because I buy books long before I ever get around to reading them (because of pricing, and interest in them, sometimes having Calibre pick a random book), because I want to fix them if necessary, and convert them to the format of one reader or another. My entire library is in EPUB (cleaned, fixed and tagged), but I've used it on both a Kindle in AZW3 format and now on Kobo in a KEPUB format.

If DRM-removal hadn't been possible, I wouldn't even have considered getting into ebooks. I possibly wouldn't even read as much as I do now.

Spoiler:
*if you bought them legally and can open them in Adobe Digital Editions 2.01, Amazon Kindle for PC 1.17, or Kobo Desktop Reader (I think). You can't "crack" the DRM: only remove it if you own the book and can open it in one of the mentioned programs already.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Calibre users, why don't you use koreader?

IMO it's not either/or, but more about "do you want to use a PC?". If you're managing library on desktop computer - ie making small edits/format conversion to books, organizing huge folders, calibre is hands down the way to go, except maybe if you just need a no-frills book viewer on pc, use Sumatra.

However I have ~1k books and about 100 manga volumes on reader device at any given time. Works fine just with on-device folders, labels and fulltext. Calibre desktop almost never gets involved unless I need to do something fairly obscure, like reflow a PDF.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdiy View Post
Calibre users, why don't you use koreader?

IMO it's not either/or, but more about "do you want to use a PC?". If you're managing library on desktop computer - ie making small edits/format conversion to books, organizing huge folders, calibre is hands down the way to go, except maybe if you just need a no-frills book viewer on pc, use Sumatra.

However I have ~1k books and about 100 manga volumes on reader device at any given time. Works fine just with on-device folders, labels and fulltext. Calibre desktop almost never gets involved unless I need to do something fairly obscure, like reflow a PDF.
What you said in the first paragraph. I edit all my books and convert them to the necessary format with several custom options included in the conversion process, plus post-conversion processing with the Modify Epub plugin. Also there is no way my whole library would fit on any one device. I have to select which books go to which reader and put that info in a custom column in Calibre, so I know what's where.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote