Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #1
BlauMond
BlauMond began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Question K4NT need SSH help with USBNetwork

Hello,

I have a black K4NT and have successfully jailbroken it and installed USBNetwork version 0.57. I am however having issues logging into it over SSH, so I would be thankful if anyone can give me a pointer.

This is what my current procedure is:

0. Put my ssh pubkey into usbnet/etc/authorized_keys"
Code:
;debugOn
Code:
~usbNetwork
3. Connect to my laptop (running Debian), it shows up as something longer but let's call it "usb0"
4. Set the Kindle's IP address to the recommended 192.168.15.244
Code:
 sudo ip addr add 192.168.15.244 dev usb0
Now if I run "ssh root@192.168.15.244" I get prompted for the password. It does not seem to care that I put my key to the "authorized_keys" in the recommended location, it also does not care about any of the default passwords and the others that correspond with my serial number, it simply always asks for a password and never actually allows me in.

Do you have any clues for what I am missing or how I could set the root password without already having SSH access?

Thanks a ton in advance!

PS: I am sharing this account with my partner, don't be confused this account's other thread asking for recommendations for a first e-reader
BlauMond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
if you are running the sudo ip command on your laptop, you are assigning 192.168.15.244 as your laptop's IP address on the USB network. You should use something like 192.168.15.201

The kindle IP address is set elsewhere, probably as a step in installing USBnet on the kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 04:31 AM   #3
BlauMond

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
if you are running the sudo ip command on your laptop, you are assigning 192.168.15.244 as your laptop's IP address on the USB network. You should use something like 192.168.15.201

The kindle IP address is set elsewhere, probably as a step in installing USBnet on the kindle.
Thanks for the reply! Could you possibly tell me how and where to set these IPs exactly? With "ip link" I see a bunch of network devices, namely "lo", "enp0s31f6" (my LAN port), "wlp3s0" (Wifi), "virbr0", "virbr0-nic" and finally the Kindle, which is "enxee4900000000".

Which IP address do I assign to which of these network devices, and how? I have tried everything I could come up with but the Kindle always asks for a root password.

Also, do you have a clue why the Kindle asks for a root password even though I installed my keys to authorized_keys and I have wifi disabled?

PS: the "ifconfig" command is not available on my distribution, I believe it has been fully replaced by "ip", so sadly I can't just copy the commands given in various other threads and the manual.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
BlauMond

Lightbulb

Okay, somehow I managed to log in now and it accepted the password "mario". I will try to replicate what I did now later and post the steps I took to make it work for anyone else who is wondering