Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, the focus on ever smaller bezels seems like something for marketing and reviewers. People gripe about the bezels on the Nook Glowlight 3, but I love them.
I like my 7.8". The side bezels is good but the top and bottom really needs to be reduced
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
uh, folks, there's a new FCC filing today
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...c_id=NOIKBN306

I haven't gotten to reporting this story yet but I assure you it is real.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #18
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
uh, folks, there's a new FCC filing today
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...c_id=NOIKBN306

I haven't gotten to reporting this story yet but I assure you it is real.
Super cool - Excited to hear more details whenever they are known!

It's always great to have anything new happening in the e-reader space.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
That is a manufacture code for a SanDisk SD card.

I presume the eMMC part simply means it's embedded (soldered on), which the articles does mention.
Thanks for the correction. A bit weird since previous FCC filings have differentiated between an uSD card and an eMMC module though I should have paid more attention to the part #. SanDisk eMMC modules seem to have SDIN as the first 4 characters of the part number. OTOH, an uSD card is not designed to be soldered so pretty much needs a socket.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(thumbs up)

It is nice to see 16GB in any case also

Sort of makes me wonder if Audiobooks will be a focus/feature
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks for the correction. A bit weird since previous FCC filings have differentiated between an uSD card and an eMMC module though I should have paid more attention to the part #. SanDisk eMMC modules seem to have SDIN as the first 4 characters of the part number. OTOH, an uSD card is not designed to be soldered so pretty much needs a socket.
I think soldering a micro-SD would combine the difficulty of changing out an EMMC with the lower performance and reliability of an SD card. It would be cool if e-readers used socketed EMMC like ODROID does.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #22
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nate's article said it has 16gb of memory. I was thinking that if it's color you'd want more memory for the comics reading crowd.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #23
nimbus.se
nimbus.se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
It's great to hear about new Kobo launches.
Unfortunately, they don't sell it here in Brazil. I would love to see some competition to Amazon.
nimbus.se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Nate's article said it has 16gb of memory. I was thinking that if it's color you'd want more memory for the comics reading crowd.
Depending on the size of the comic book file,. 14GB would give you room for quite a few 100MB comic files.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-20-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:28 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Details are non-existent. Speculation is that it will be a low end replacement for the Aura 2 or maybe the Clara. Those would make sense.
I'm guessing it's going to be a Kobo version of the Tolino Page 2 because it's using a 1,000 mAh battery. That would be a step down for a new Clara and (I'm guessing, I don't know) a color eInk reader would probably require more battery than a standard eInk screen. The 16 GBs seems kind of odd for an entry reader, however. Maybe Bluetooth for audio books?

Last edited by rcentros; 04-20-2020 at 11:43 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Le Sigh! How many more centuries must pas before the completely fake, utterly WRONG so-called "rule" about split infinitives is abandoned by people who really should know there ain't no such thing? I impatiently wait.

[Sigh] [Grunt] [Wheeze]

Youll wiat a lonng teme, good Buddy!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #27
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Hypothetically speaking, just because there's a FCC filing doesn't necessarily mean it'll actually come out???

That said, I assume there's enough expense involved where they wouldn't file with the FCC unless they had strong plans to actually release the device?

And with the backing of a large company, I'd say it's fairly unlikely that they'll run out of money before releasing it, which seems to me like the only plausible reason to have a FCC filing for a device that never comes out.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #28
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Hypothetically speaking, just because there's a FCC filing doesn't necessarily mean it'll actually come out???
They ran a similar 'FCC' article for a new Kobo device on Aug 23 last year. On September 4 Kobo announced the Libra. So it looks reliable and we could indeed have a Kobo announcement in a couple of weeks.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #29
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I extremely strongly suspect you're right.

I was just saying that it's not 100%.

Although in these COVID-19 days it might be a bit more than a couple of weeks.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since the image used by Good e-Reader was lifted from the FCC site, very likely this a real device. As usual, they got some of it wrong such as saying a SanDisk SD card when the FCC says it's a San16GB eMMC SDSDQAB-016G.
Thank you, that's the real detail I was looking at.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote