Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Except that, other than the distraction concerning the Twilight covers, with the link of the OP we are not talking of the same sort of disparity in the authors. There probably is some, but is it enough to outweigh the public access factor? No idea, but I have my doubts. With such low voter numbers almost anyone (artist, author, fan, random-outsider looking to amuse themselves) could potentially have swayed the result.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So what you are saying is I should have activated my list and swept the contest?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
If you want to prove your point you'd have to use your first cover. The one's you have been using more recently are high enough quality that they might well win against the current list whether you send out a notice to your fans or not. Win with your first cover, against the current field, and I would consider your point made.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #19
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If you want to prove your point you'd have to use your first cover. The one's you have been using more recently are high enough quality that they might well win against the current list whether you send out a notice to your fans or not. Win with your first cover, against the current field, and I would consider your point made.
Covers have become my second largest expense in this game. Long gone are the days I could just slap some pics in GIMP add Papyrus text and call it done.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
What one person considers "good art" is subjective. I think it is virtually impossible to separate a cover from the content of the book. Even if you've never read the book, but have basic knowledge of the content, as an example, the Twilight books. A distaste of the content is going to affect your opinion of the cover. I'm not sure how it couldn't.

I've not read the books, but have seen bits of a couple of the movies. I also don't like the covers, they seem as if they are trying too hard to be mysterious and naughty. Covers designed with 13 year old girls in mind.

(effect?)
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Pretend for a moment I was a Stephen King level author.

Who do you think would win that contest? The person with the best cover, or the biggest loyal following. I will leave the answer as an exercise for the reader.
My money is on this guy:

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Covers designed with 13 year old girls in mind.

(effect?)
Who should the covers have been designed for? 86 year-old men?
Old 01-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Long gone are the days I could just slap some pics in GIMP add Papyrus text and call it done.
And readers everywhere are thankful.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #24
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Who should the covers have been designed for? 86 year-old men?
I didn't say that. The covers were designed with the target audience in mind.

Please don't put words in my mouth.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In my opinion, the best book cover is the cover for The Great Gatsby:

To me, it looks like a charcter from a Doctor Who episode.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If I understand your post correctly, you object to book cover popularity contests* because you believe they often become content popularity contests. I suspect a formal study would find such a correlation exists, but cause and effect could be harder to isolate.

It is possible that a book gained popularity as a result of its attractive cover. It is possible that a cover looks attractive to people because it matches other books in a popular genre and so just becomes a refinement of something people already associate with enjoyment. And speaking of associations, think Pavlov's dogs: "every time I picked up that image I had a good time so I find that image attractive", sort of thing.

* Any contest that looks only at the cover image without considering whether it is appropriate to the content is not looking for good covers, it is only looking for popular covers.
It is possible to have a popular book with a good cover. But Twilight is not it. A popular book with a rubbish cover.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The best way to do a cover contest would be to have covers with no words and just the cover picture. That way if you are not familiar with the book or author, you would be more likely to vote for the cover and not the book.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I didn't say that. The covers were designed with the target audience in mind.

Please don't put words in my mouth.
You were criticising the covers for being designed exactly for their target demographic. Otherwise, why mention who the covers were designed for?

I will say in the early days of Twilight, before the sequels, before I knew what the books were, I used to see the cover all the time and was curious about what it was.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best way to do a cover contest would be to have covers with no words and just the cover picture. That way if you are not familiar with the book or author, you would be more likely to vote for the cover and not the book.
I disagree with the assertion that covers need to be based on the art alone. That is nonsense. It isn't an art contest. It is a cover contest.

The Star Wars poster is a great poster for Star Wars. It would be a bad poster for The Godfather.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To me, it looks like a charcter from a Doctor Who episode.

You show your bad taste.

In your humble opinion, what is a good cover? Please specify one.