Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
I'll try it these 30 days, but I'm seriously considering returning it and upgrading to the PW (although what j.p.s said about some people finding the PW4's display fuzzy does not bode well DD). The weird-looking GUI I can stand, but, given that it is its main use, I guess it doesn't make sense to keep an ereader if you don't find the reading experience pleasant.
I wouldn't call the PW4 fuzzy. Lines and text edges are pretty sharp and crisp. Problem is contrast is a bit worse compared to PW3. Text looks like a somewhat lighter gray vs PW3.

Noticeable when comparing side by side but personally, it's something I forget about after reading for 5 minutes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
TTT
TTT doesn't litterTTT doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Weird looking GUI?

Well, more like weird-rendered GUI. As haydnfan said, it looks like they designed the new GUI for the Paperwhite and then they used it in the Kindle Basic without thinking twice, which makes it look "weird". E.g. the lines and the typography are too thin for the 167 dpi screen. And haydnfan also said, this didnt happen in the K4NT.
TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Well, more like weird-rendered GUI. As haydnfan said, it looks like they designed the new GUI for the Paperwhite and then they used it in the Kindle Basic without thinking twice, which makes it look "weird". E.g. the lines and the typography are too thin for the 167 dpi screen. And haydnfan also said, this didnt happen in the K4NT.
I've always thought the text on the Kindle home screens to be too thin and light.

Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Can you post a screenshot from the Kindle Basic? (Simultaneously tap any pair of opposite corners on the screen.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've always thought the text on the Kindle home screens to be too thin and light.
Right. So imagine it being even worse.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #20
TTT

Sure, there you go! I don't know if this's a good characterization, however. In the actual touchscreen the lines of the shopping cart look jagged, and the "home", "back",... labels do appear quite fuzzy. FWIW, the font is Caecilia Size 3 Bold 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	147
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	181043  

Last edited by TTT; 07-31-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Sure, there you go! I don't know if this's a good characterization, however. In the actual touchscreen the lines of the shopping cart look jagged, and the "home", "back",... labels do appear quite fuzzy. FWIW, the font is Caecilia Size 3 Bold 1
Thanks. It looks OK to me on 110 and 147 DPI LCD screens. I'll take your word for how it looks on e-ink.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:19 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I'm looking at the screenshot via iPad and the screenshot does look better there than on the KT4's actual display.

Got the KT4 as a "beater" Kindle but I never really use it. The Paperwhite is just so much more comfortable for me to read on.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #23
TTT

Yep, in my laptop (125dpi) it doesn't look half bad either, but I don't know if you can compare between a LCD with 32 bits of color and a eink display. I'd say that my perception would be similar to what I see in my laptop zooming the image between 1.5x and 2x. Also, like I said, at this stage I wouldn't rule out some kind of autosuggestion on my part