Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #1846
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Barinthus View Post
If the answer is Yes to either question, is there a way to avoid this? Say, by telling the plugin to not pull tags after the initial download?
There's a setting on the 'Standard Columns' tab in FanFicFare's configuration to populate Tags only when downloading a new book. That sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

"Keep existing tags when updating metadata" on the 'Basic' tab will not remove tags you add, but it will add tags back if you delete some that are on the site.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #1847
version365
Enthusiast
version365 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
I have a request.

The stories on storiesonline.net have a lot of tags.
Can you please include those in the Title Page?
version365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #1848
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by version365 View Post
The stories on storiesonline.net have a lot of tags.
Can you please include those in the Title Page?
Take a look at the [storiesonline.net] section in the defaults.ini. There are several additional metadata items collected that you can already add to your config.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #1849
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile
mehetabelo began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 1-3, Kobo AuraHD, Boox Afterglow2
You wrote about a setting in the standard columns tab in the configuration column a few posts ago. I was trying to figure out earlier this week how to leave an Title (or author) if I've changed it for specific sites (IE RoyalRoad). I want to only do it for specific sites, as RoyalRoad tends to have authors that throw in "delayed" / "dropped" / "editing" / "discontinued" in the title.

This tends to screw up my kindle documents because I have to relocate the page I was or rename it (to whatever it was before) before sending to kindle.

I don't want to do this on all sites though, or I'd just check mark the "New Only" option in the Standard Columns option.

I searched the forum, and tried to find anything relevant and gave up after looking for an hour. I looked through the python files too but couldn't understand enough so I gave that up. I tried a few options in the ini file like using the custom_columns_settings option, (didn't work or I named the column incorrectly.) I also tried a variation, as it wasn't custom I tried columns_settings: and calibre_columns_settings: (neither were options)

I tried using "include_in_title:" and left it blank, but that causes the title to become "unknown" instead of leaving the old title. I finally gave up and came here.

So, is there a possibility of using something in the ini for new only setting for title? The author as well, since occasionally I fix those when they're incorrect - Wuxiaworld is an example, as it only shows the translator not original author and I like to add the correct author and put translator in the comments section.)
mehetabelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #1850
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@mehetabelo:

The Standard Column settings are all or nothing, not by site. custom_columns_settings cannot effect standard columns like title.

There are a number of ways to handle the issues you mentioned using replace_metadata.

Code:
## Under [royalroadl.com] or even [defaults] you could modify all
## titles to remove "delayed" / "dropped" / "editing" / "discontinued"
## in the title.  However, it would need tweaking sometimes as
## different authors will no doubt include separators you'd need to
## include.  And sometimes those words are legitimate.
add_to_replace_metadata:
 title=> *(delayed|dropped|editing|discontinued) *=>

## Under [royalroadl.com] you can change the specific titles you find.
## That won't help if the author changes the title.  Here are some
## examples from my own personal.ini for SB.
[forums.spacebattles.com]
add_to_replace_metadata:
 title=>Wail of the Banshee 3: Boxhead Blues and the Zombocalypse=>Wail of the Banshee
 title=>Alchemical Solutions: STORY-ONLY THREAD=>Alchemical Solutions

## A third way is to explicitly set the title by story URL.  There are
## further two ways to do that:

## Add a line to replace_metadata that specifies the storyUrl, but
## won't apply if the author changes the title radically, but ^.*$
## would match all.
[forums.spacebattles.com]
add_to_replace_metadata:
  title=>^Forged in Blood and Bone.*=>Forged in Blood and Bone with Omake&&storyUrl=>https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/20478422/

## Add a section for a specific story that set the title (and/or other
## metadata) regardless.  Can include extratags or replace_br_with_p
## etc to apply only to that story.  Example:
[https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/20867703/]
replace_metadata:
 title=>.*=>Belated Battleships: An Old Cat
 author=>.*=>Skywalker_T-65

## You can add to the description like this, but it may cause issues
## with the description HTML.
[https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/20867703/]
add_to_replace_metadata:
 description=>(.*)=>\1 Words added to desc
All of these examples show add_to_replace_metadata separately, but you should only have one of each section and one add_to_replace_metadata list, etc in each section.

See these wiki pages for more details about managing your ini and metadata.
Advert
Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #1851
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

I'll see about working with this, probably putting a specific edit for each story and using some of the comments you specified. I have lots of experience with editing/managing the ini file and some metadata, I've been watching this plugin forum for years. It's why I tried to do so much prior to asking here.

I would like to point out something that's probably not functioning as intended then. If (in Standard Columns) I check mark 'new only' in both Title and Author(s) the title does not change when updating... but the Author does.

I tried this in multiple sites by editing the author and forcing an update. As I said, Title doesn't change, author does. Based on the how the title functions and what is stated at the top, I am lead to believe that Author should not update the name if New Only is marked.

Last edited by mehetabelo; 03-11-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #1852
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

I edited the top line above. But I would like to note that it is possible to edit the description and it will leave as is, I'm using the function as such (edited to include only specifics):

I tried to do similar with Title/Author, but it didn't work the same way.

[www.wuxiaworld.com]
include_in_description:
titlepage_entries: seriesHTML,category,genre,language,characters,ship s,status,datePublished,dateUpdated,dateCreated,rat ing,warnings,numChapters,numWords,site,calibre_cus t_genre,calibre_std_tags,calibre_std_comments
calibre_std_comments_label: Description
Old 03-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #1853
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New test version posted

2017-03-11
- Fix for authors and New Only.
- Fix for base_xenforoforum cached post used more than once.

@mehetabelo - Yes, that a bug, thanks for finding it.

That's a nice trick with calibre_std_comments. You might be able to apply it for title/author by customizing the title page.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #1854
version365
Enthusiast
version365 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Take a look at the [storiesonline.net] section in the defaults.ini. There are several additional metadata items collected that you can already add to your config.
Okay, I added extra_subject_tags under [storiesonline.net] in personal.ini
Now, the tags are added in calibre, but how to add those tags inside the epub title page?
version365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #1855
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

Thanks for the fix!

Quote:
That's a nice trick with calibre_std_comments. You might be able to apply it for title/author by customizing the title page.
Yeah, I tried it, I did the following:

include_in_title:
include_in_author:
calibre_std_authors_label:Author
calibre_std_title_label:Title
titlepage_entries: calibre_std_title,calibre_std_authors,seriesHTML,c ategory,genre,language,characters,ships,status,dat ePublished,dateUpdated,dateCreated,rating,warnings ,numChapters,numWords,site,calibre_cust_genre,cali bre_std_tags,calibre_std_comments

The titlepage actually looked almost right, but the very top that says '(Title) by (Author)' actually turned into just " by " and the Title/Author metadata still changed to 'Unknown' in both. That's why I had come to the forum to see if there was an answer. Well, that and the bug I mentioned earlier.

I actually did that truck a month ago, and I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking. I had gone through the forums and used a couple of things that had been said, played with it and it worked. It's generally how I do things, working on it myself if there's no direct answer I can find.

I'll probably just setup every story with;
replace_metadata:
author=>.*=>
title=>.*=>
setup, as mentioned earlier. I had thought about doing that previously, but I had hoped there was a better option so I didn't have to change it every time a new story.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #1856
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

Quote:
Now, the tags are added in calibre, but how to add those tags inside the epub title page?
I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to do, but for adding the tags column into the titlepage inside
titlepage_entries:
add the following;calibre_std_tag

so it would look something like
titlepage_entries:seriesHTML,category,genre,langua ge,characters,ships,status,datePublished,dateUpdat ed,dateCreated,rating,warnings,numChapters,numWord s,site,calibre_std_tags,description

That's just a grab from one of mine, so make sure you just insert it instead of replacing it with that setup.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #1857
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Add the same entries to titlepage_entries, use add_to_titlepage_entries to append them, or copy whole list and use titlepage_entries to put them in a different order.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #1858
BaldTrout
BaldTrout began at the beginning.

Having a little bit of trouble configuring FimFicFare and am hoping someone may be able to help. I'd like to setup custom columns, or some way to store the Author's URL and Story URL and have that URL be clickable and open up in a web browser.

I have tried setting the custom columns in Calibre to be 'text, column shown in the tag browser', and 'comma separated text, like tags' which has Calibre searching for those URLs in its database rather than being web links. Setting 'long text, like comments' just has FimFicFare save the URL as plain text, even when having it set to HTML parsing.

I'm also having some trouble with epub images. I have a few stories that have images with transparency inside their chapters and have set remove_transparency: false in personal.ini like the github wiki suggests to keep the transparency... but it doesn't seem to work. Only no_image_processing:true works to keep the images transparent but I worry that will cause issues down the line. Is there another setting or code line I'm missing?

I seem to have found a parsing bug too. With this story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/358...ian-fanfiction there's colored text in block quotes. FanFicFare/Calibre can download the story fine, but doesn't write the <span style="color:#[color];"> tag in a way that properly colors the text.

It writes it as (in example of the first paragraph of the first chapter):
<blockquote><p class="double"><span style="color:#6aaadd;"></span></p>
[rest of blockquote text]
</blockquote>

rather than:
<span style="color:#6aaadd;"><blockquote><p class="double">
[rest of blockquote text]
</p></blockquote></span>

I'm not sure if the <p class=double> is necessary to keep or not

Last edited by BaldTrout; 03-11-2017 at 07:41 PM.
BaldTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #1859
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldTrout View Post
Having a little bit of trouble configuring FimFicFare and am hoping someone may be able to help. I'd like to setup custom columns, or some way to store the Author's URL and Story URL and have that URL be clickable and open up in a web browser.
I don't believe it's possible to make a clickable URL column. You'd have to ask about that over in the Library Management forum.

On the other hand, FanFicFare (not Fim, BTW) already puts the story URL in as an identifier and sets the author's URL by default. Both of which are clickable links in the Calibre's Book Detail pane (Shft-Alt-D in windows).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	174
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	155594

Quote:
I'm also having some trouble with epub images. I have a few stories that have images with transparency inside their chapters and have set remove_transparency: false in personal.ini like the github wiki suggests to keep the transparency... but it doesn't seem to work. Only no_image_processing:true works to keep the images transparent but I worry that will cause issues down the line. Is there another setting or code line I'm missing?
By default, images are resized to something reasonable for an epub reader like a Kindle or Nook. FanFicFare uses the image libraries provided by Calibre. It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work in all cases. no_image_processing:true is what I would suggest.

Quote:
I seem to have found a parsing bug too. With this story: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/358...ian-fanfiction there's colored text in block quotes. FanFicFare/Calibre can download the story fine, but doesn't write the <span style="color:#[color];"> tag in a way that properly colors the text.
It's technically an HTML standards violation to put <p> tags inside <span> tags. It's meant to be the other way around.

Looking at the first page of that story more closely, the HTML is even more broken with tags interleaving instead of nesting properly. There isn't anything FanFicFare can do about bad input:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	155593

The HTML parser, seeing the tags out of order, automatically closes the <span> first. Browsers are more forgiving--and have hugely more complex code to process the HTML with.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #1860
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't believe it's possible to make a clickable URL column. You'd have to ask about that over in the Library Management forum.
@BaldTrout - fyi: creating clickable links (in Book Details not the Book List) can be done either via Preferences->Look at Feel->Book Details>Create rules to convert identifiers into links or via Long text custom columns. For further details ask in the Library Management forum.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction