Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Are you a K3 hold-out?

I thought about it.

I like the graphite body; will increase apparent contrast. I like the smaller size with the same screen size.

But daggonne it, I just bought a K2 last year. It still feels like a new purchase. It still works perfectly. I can't really find anything to complain about.

Yet, I still felt myself weakening for a K3. What is up with that?

So, I bought myself a sweet Oberon case and a darker skin, to help keep myself away from the K3. Now, I will feel too guilty to buy a K3, since I just dropped $100 more into my K2.

I notice there are still plenty of K1 owners here too. (although a lot of them have K2s too...)

Any others fighting the urge to buy a K3, or didn't even get the urge at all?
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I held out for about a week after the K3 was announced. My K1 works just fine, but the enhanced screen (2-generations better than my K1 now), was just too much temptation to resist.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The new screen would still tempt me if I had a K2 but I'd probably wait. I still have my K1, though. It still works pretty well but the battery life has diminished a bit after almost 3 years of heavy use and the right side button doesn't always work. I blame the cat. She is not fond of the Kindle. I felt a bit self-indulgent but the price is quite good.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I held out less than 2 minutes. I love my K1. It still works perfectly, but I want collections and the better screen. I am sure I would be happy with a K2 if I had one. I am not sure what I will do with the K1: trade it in to GreenEarthExchange for an Amazon gift certificate? Keep it as a backup?

Don't know...

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I held out about a week, too, then caved. Yes, it makes no sense when I have an almost-new DX I'm perfectly happy with. I keep telling myself I'll send it back if it's not a huge upgrade, but I'm kidding myself.

It's very hard to resist the lure of new & improved.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yes, and I'm still holding out. K3 is certainly very nifty, and if I didn't already have a Kindle or were considering getting an ereader in general, I'd probably snap one up.

But my K2 still does most of everything I want, and the K3 functions I'd like the most (multilingual fonts, better PDF support) might hopefully be provided in a firmware upgrade.

If not, then the font hack will take care of the first, and the PDFs I don't read all that often anyway. Everything else I can live without.

Although having the next/prev buttons balanced on both sides and an improved 5-way controller instead of the current techno-nipple would be nice.

I think if I get another Kindle, it'll be for a) colour screen, b) major price drop on the DX and they fix the button placement, or c) hopefully both.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I thought about it but for me, after getting the DX, there is no going back to the small screen and I dont want to spend the money for a new DX lol
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm still holding out! I'm keeping my K1 from now, though I did buy a skin from DecalGirl to put on it! I also picked up very recently a Cybook Opus to play with (for epubs) since my library started offering ebooks. So my current plan is to hold out for another 6 months to a year and see what becomes available with other Android devices or larger screens. And if nothing else catches my interest I can always pick up the next version of the DX!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
Since I don't already own a Kindle, it wasn't hard to decide to put in an order for the K3. I'm curious to see how it will stack up against my Sony 300.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Still agonizing over whether to take the plunge.

Would greatly appreciate the portability (smaller size and lower weight) over the DX as well as the new screen but worry I won't get accustomed to the small display.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The lower price made it easier to say yes!

I'd heard the rumours that the new Kindle was coming out so I was checking the news daily so I could order one quickly.

I was expecting to order it from the U.S. so was very pleasantly surprised at it being available in the U.K.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
If I'm upgrading it will be to get the K.DXg but I'm holding out to see what else will come on the market during the next couple of months.

I'm especially waiting for the Lattice from Innoversal and the Adam from Notion Ink. Technically speaking none of them are pure e-readers but both comes with the much anticipated Pixel-QI screen.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #13
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I am holding out. I got my K2 in Feb 09' and since the "collections" upgrade, I am very satisfied. The K3 is VERY nice, but not enough of an improvement to make me plop down more money.

Maybe Next year with the color K4... lol.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm only holding out because I want to read some user reviews and see if 3G internet is still available to Canadian users.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
I'm only holding out because I want to read some user reviews and see if 3G internet is still available to Canadian users.

If you go the the K# homepage, there is a wireless availability chart you can look at to see if 3g is available in your area.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote