Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
michaelhughes
michaelhughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
PRS-600: I think I'm taking the plunge!

After a good deal of research, I think I'm going to get the PRS-600. I went to the Sony store today to fondle one. Told myself I wouldn't buy it until I slept on it.

For those that have one, anything I should know before I jump in?

Specifically, am I going to have to charge it overnight before I can start reading?

Should I put one of those "glare reducing" screen protector films or is the screen pretty resilient to scratching/dirt?

Should I install the Sony software or can I just use Calibre and/or Adobe Digital Editions?

Is it worth it to buy the AC adapter or will USB charging do? (I always have a computer around and on, fwiw)

Other comments from the peanut gallery are certainly welcome!

Last edited by michaelhughes; 03-01-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added a question
michaelhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

I Love The situation you're in! Awaiting a new gadget, planning the first few hours of companionship (perhaps I get too attached!).

I have no suggestions I just wanted to say enjoy the 600

-Mark

Last edited by Gatecra5her; 03-02-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I started using my reader once the little red light turned off (I didn't wait for overnight charging as I don't know why it should be better than just waiting until the electronics shut off charging anyways). I'm charging through psp charger. I don't like too much stuff around my work desk that is connected to the pc. I think this depends on your likes.
I've checked the glare screens, and whatever I found it said glare would be reduced (allthough everyone wrote it wasn't bad anyways) but also contrast. I won't get an anti glare screen as I cannot see the benefit to spend somewhere around 10-30 bucks for something that doesn't have the effect I want to see.

So go out and get one. It's really awesome if you like to read and have electronic gadgets (awesome combination).

Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
As soon as possible (ideally within the first 30 days if the place you bought it from offers exchanges within that period), make sure your PRS-600 does not suffer from the dreaded "e-ink fade in sunlight" problem. It doesn't seem to affect every PRS-600, but a number of people have noticed this, including myself. The reader is perfectly usable, even if afflicted. You just need to turn the screen away from the sun each time you turn a page or access a new menu screen. But supposedly, you shouldn't have to put up with this.

Beyond that, I'd recommend a cover, but that's a personal preference. I really like the official Sony cover. It protects the device very nicely and feels good in the hand while reading.

And, if you ever like to read at night, you might consider a bright LED book light. I like the Mighty Bright ones as they seem to have the right color temperature to really bring out the contrast between the text and background on the PRS-600.

I also like using a PSP-style charger. Mine's a "knock-off" made by JSD and seems to work just fine. (Just make sure it's rated to charge a PSP.)

Depending on where your books will be coming from, you may want to learn a few things about different formats and conversion tools. I think Calibre is a "given." It works really well with the PRS-600. Certainly ADE if you're going to be buying books or borrowing them from the library.

Of course you don't have to figure all this stuff out immediately. Take your time and continue asking questions here. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people here!

Enjoy!!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Smile

BUY, BUY, BUY

The PRS-600 is wonderful, install the Reader Library , ADE, and Calibre which is fantastic,

My 600 arrived a few days ago, I loved it, and had no problems at first, It did after four days freeze up, but I'm getting it sorted,

The fact is I STILL thoroughly recomend the 600 wholeheartedly,

Enjoy,

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I love my 600! I got it for Christmas and as soon as I unwrapped it I turned it on to check it out. I was only patient enough to let it charge for about an hour and the battery was okay but it wasn't full.

I highly recommend Calibre for library management but you have to use the Sony software if you want to purchase books from the Sony store. Don't worry too much about Adobe Digital Editions because if/when you need to download it, you'll get a prompt. I've only used it maybe twice in two months.

You can probably skip the wall charger if you always have a computer. I have one from Sony and I don't use it too terribly often.

I didn't get a screen protector for mine just because I'm always careful and I'm paranoid about putting sticky things on screens. I'm afraid it'll start to peel off, then dust/dirt will get underneath, and it will look gross. Then I will peel it off and it'll leave a nasty residue. Anyway maybe this is obsessive but I've been fine without one.

Let us know when you get it!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Enjoy that 600! I concur with others and suggest a PSP or the regular Sony Reader wall charger. Get the barrel connection one, and you will have less chance of charging problems. Enjoy!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't have the 600, but the 900 and I love it. Go for it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
michaelhughes

Thanks for your encouragement!

I'm going to try to make it down to the Sony store today, but I've got a full schedule and may not make it until tomorrow.

Once I get it, I will try to post a photo and some first impressions.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Definitely put a picture up! It's always good to see a newborn gadget!
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I say go for it. The PRS-600 is AWESOME.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhughes View Post
...Told myself I wouldn't buy it until I slept on it....
Sounds uncomfortable!

But seriously, enjoy your 600, I think that's what I'd pick if I was in the market for new one!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Specifically, am I going to have to charge it overnight before I can start reading?
No. You can if you'd like but it's not necessary. I would buy a psp charger-much faster.

Quote:
Should I put one of those "glare reducing" screen protector films or is the screen pretty resilient to scratching/dirt?
I put a screen protector on mine to keep it from getting scratched up, I didn't want to take the chance. I ordered mine from Amazon and got the Lexerd and I am happy with it.

I have to agree with everyone else's comments-go for it. It seems that people either love it or hate it; it just so happens everyone that loves theirs is here to support you! I have 2 of them, just in case one breaks, that's how much I love mine. It is by far the most treasured possesion I have, aside from my VW Jetta

I also have to second the Calibre advice, very good program. There are plenty of free books to chose from and there are a list of websites available here. It is also nice to have 24 hour web support here at MR, lol!

Good luck and keep us updated!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
michaelhughes

GOT IT!!!

I've had it out of the box about an hour and am pleased as can be. It's charging right now so I can enjoy it at full power tomorrow. Read a few pages of the "Banana book" and made a drawing with the handwriting option. Also used the dictionary feature, and had to laugh that it didn't have an entry for the word I clicked. Happily I knew what the word meant, but was doing a demo for the kids!

Bought the AC adapter, just to get it over with. My kids use a DS, not a PSP. Figures...

I'm making sure I've got software installed and configured before I go shopping for a book. I will likely save that for tomorrow. The good thing about working for a publisher is when I get into the office tomorrow, I will have several ebooks to choose from for testing purposes!

Here are some photos that I hope people will find a little different than some of the other "first photos" posted. Not sure if they're too original, but they are different.

The standard "welcome home!" photo:

The mother ship has arrived! My Sony Walkman MP3 player with the Reader:

With a US dime and nickle under the navigation buttons for scale:

I love Sony!

Last edited by michaelhughes; 03-02-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Congradulations!!!!! Ooohhh, red-me thinks it's pretty!

Psst-make sure you get the epub version or you will be highly disppointed. I couldn't think of anything worse than getting excited, buying a book on Amazon and not being able to read it. Honestly, for books that do not have DRM I buy them in the epub format and convert them over to lrf using Calibre-much easier to read that way.

Yaaaayyyyy!!!!!!!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote