Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
dixon
dixon doesn't litterdixon doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000S
Web browser for DR1000S

Hi,

I installed a dillo-2.1.1 web browser on my DR1000S, but it definitely has problems with responding to UI events (e.g. clicking on "File" menu most of the time does not open it). Before going further I want no know maybe anyone else works on it too. Or maybe someone can recommend another web browser? Basically I want to read html files that have links to another html files and follow those links.
dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
My limited attempts at reading html files (especially with CSS components) have not been very successful, and partly the reason that I haven't delved further into it is because PDF's have proven vastly more useful and versatile for my uses. However, I have read in this forum that FBReader does an excellent job with html files.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon View Post
but it definitely has problems with responding to UI events (e.g. clicking on "File" menu most of the time does not open it).
Dillo2 uses FLTK2 as its GUI, not GTK+. On DR1000, automatic screen refreshment is only available for GTK+ apps. So, it's natural that dillo2 won't refresh screen on DR1000.

I think Midori + WebkitGTK should be a good choice for DR1000.

Last edited by ericshliao; 08-23-2009 at 09:12 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I agree, and it should then also work on the DR800 for actual web browsing. I suppose iRex is already working on a web browser, but that is no reason not to go ahead and port one.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
We have a webkit-based web browser for the DR platform. It should work well on the DR1000S for reading offline HTML and MHT archives.
I'm not sure when it will be released though.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Please do release it. I'm REALLY missing that.

Much of the material I like to study at leisure is only available in the form of a website (often a wiki) these days. To download a snapshot of such is done easily enough (with a tool such as this), but to read it just isn't doable without a real browser.

(In fact, when I bought my DR1000 I thought FBReader would fill the gap, but I completely misunderstood. That one too only reads single documents: no external CSS support, no following of hyperlinks.)
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Viacheslav
Connoisseur
Viacheslav doesn't litterViacheslav doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
We have a webkit-based web browser for the DR platform. It should work well on the DR1000S for reading offline HTML and MHT archives.
It is really needed even for DR1000S. The current htm plugin for DR1000S is plainly useless. It is not only CSS and formatting problems. For instance, the plugun does not respect encoding tag and shows garbage instead of any non-Latin text. Conversion to Unicode does not help either.
Viacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:55 AM   #8
dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Dillo2 uses FLTK2 as its GUI, not GTK+. On DR1000, automatic screen refreshment is only available for GTK+ apps. So, it's natural that dillo2 won't refresh screen on DR1000.

Thank you, that was very helpful. I've just installed it and it looks good so far. I will probably test it a little bit and then upload in this thread.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
dixon

Here is the Midori browser. MD5: 933cf79e249120ea5ee404695f011fa0 .
Just unpack this archive into the root of your device. Then go to Home > Documents > Programs and use the Midori shortcut to start it.

P.S. I compiled it for v1.7. I have no idea whether it works on 1.6 or not.
Attached Files
File Type: zip midori-0.1.9-dr-0.1.zip (11.01 MB, 523 views)

Last edited by dixon; 08-30-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
It works great!! Thanks a lot..
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
That's great. It appears to work well, for my simple needs anyway.
cheers
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Deleted

Last edited by Gogolo; 09-02-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
KarlSchroeder
KarlSchroeder began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s
Some cautionary notes please?

Midori did seem to work--at least it loaded up all right for me the first time--but perhaps you should change the default home page from www.google.com in the distribution. Perhaps creating a local splash page that the browser defaults to would be a good idea.

In particular, this would be an excellent way to include some critical information that you haven't included in your posting above: such as which menu items work and which ones will brick the reader.

For instance, just to see what would happen (it's the old tech writer in me) I clicked on "Full Screen" and indeed got a full screen view of the browser--but also lost my tabs and any ability to call up the reader's task manager, or to close the program. This necessitated a reset of the machine to resolve it. The next time I opened Midori it showed me a crash-recovery dialog and then froze the machine exiting that. Now it locks the machine solid whenever I try to start it; my next step will be to do a reinstall and see if that works.

So, here's my suggestion: create a default LOCAL home page that includes information about what menu options are dangerous. (I haven't been able to try any others or I'd tell you about them here as well.) OR, better yet, if you can, disable those menu items in the build, or at least rename them, eg. instead of calling that menu item "Full Screen" call it the more accurate "Force Reinstall".

This experience was had on a 1.7 machine, by the way.

LATER NOTE: I tried a complete reinstall--no good. Having crashed once, Midori will no longer start. When I load the program it pops up a dialog saying it thinks it crashed last time, but any option I choose to get out of that causes the whole system to hang. The long and short of it is, Midori is on my system but no longer works at all.

I wouldn't recommend this build to anyone until these issues get sorted out.

Last edited by KarlSchroeder; 09-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.
KarlSchroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Viacheslav
Connoisseur
Viacheslav doesn't litterViacheslav doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSchroeder View Post
Midori did seem to work--at least it loaded up all right for me the first time--but perhaps you should change the default home page from www.google.com in the distribution.
LATER NOTE: I tried a complete reinstall--no good. Having crashed once, Midori will no longer start.
Oh, it's simple. Each time midori gets started it creates a config folder in /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_midori. This folder contains the settings. Some combinations of options cause problems. If such a bad config gets remembered you will not be able to start the browser. reinstallation does not wipe the config folder. This is why it did not help. Just delete it and restart midori to get a clean fresh config file.

By the way, the /media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_midori/config/config file contains the homepage URL and toolbar config and many useful options. I have already made a minimal config that turns even this alpha-quality build into a working HTML viewer for DR1000.

to dixon
It's great that midori works as a binary package, but it would be mega-cool to post a script with all steps necessary to build midori for DR1000. There may be pitfalls with library dependencies. It should be relatively easy to strip down the browser into a good HTML viewer by removing all buttons and menu items that are useless on a reader.

I propose to include this settings package into the next midori release. It makes it possible to associate html with midori by editing the .ini file and use midori as the html viewer.
Attached Files
File Type: zip midori-config.zip (2.4 KB, 414 views)

Last edited by Viacheslav; 09-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Viacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viacheslav View Post
I have already made a minimal config that turns even this alpha-quality build into a working HTML viewer for DR1000.
Please share.

A useful modification would be replacing the file dialog with the one Mackx wrote for Xournal.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote