Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #23671
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've survived 'killer blizzards', volcanic eruptions, tornadoes, hurricanes .... I'll take my chances!
Well, poohbear:

Not that it doesn't have its downsides, but I can in complete honesty say that the Phoenix, AZ area is quite dry, compared to most of the rest of the US, very low humidity (the further out from the center of the city you get, the better, vis-a-vis humidity), although it's grimly hot in the summers. You might also consider a bit north of here; towns like Prescott are near-perfect.

(As a former migraine sufferer myself, mine weren't triggered by barometric pressure changes, but I understand your desire to avoid at all costs! Mine seemed to have, by and large, ceased after {mumble} years of them.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #23672
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Thanks for all the info folks - I'm taking notes & reading up on your suggestions.
France in its western part is quite good. Go North-West if you want some England-like weather, go South-West for the sun, stay West for something in between. The more you go East, the more different the weather is from Winter to Summer.
So far, no earthquakes note-worthy
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #23673
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
This day is ruined. I left my Kindle AND my iPad in the glove compartment...and my wife's gone to work.

Life is unfair!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #23674
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This day is ruined. I left my Kindle AND my iPad in the glove compartment...and my wife's gone to work.

Life is unfair!
Oh, the humanity!

Hitch
Old 03-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #23675
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, poohbear:

Not that it doesn't have its downsides, but I can in complete honesty say that the Phoenix, AZ area is quite dry, compared to most of the rest of the US, very low humidity (the further out from the center of the city you get, the better, vis-a-vis humidity), although it's grimly hot in the summers. You might also consider a bit north of here; towns like Prescott are near-perfect.

(As a former migraine sufferer myself, mine weren't triggered by barometric pressure changes, but I understand your desire to avoid at all costs! Mine seemed to have, by and large, ceased after {mumble} years of them.)

Hitch
Thanks for the suggestions - Phoenix was on my list - at least towns near Phoenix - I'll look at Prescott & surrounding areas.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #23676
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions - Phoenix was on my list - at least towns near Phoenix - I'll look at Prescott & surrounding areas.
I will say, if I had it to do over again, and didn't have to be near a certain city, or whatever, I'd definitely take a very hard look at Prescott. It's a great little town, just about perfect in size, amenities, etc. And the weather is a lot better than Phoenix, not nearly as scalding in the summers. I can't speak to barometric pressure, however, so research that part carefully.

Hitch
Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #23677
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Life is unfair!
Time to dig up an old *gasp* paperback!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #23678
angela67
angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.angela67 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Hi all. This is my first post, I have been lurking and enjoying the fruits of the forums since I got my Kobo Aura before Christmas. I love, love, love my e-reader - but the kobo desktop and kobo website drive me nuts. My wishes are simple - speed, ease and intuitiveness - is this so hard! I guess it must be. Yes I will admit I am a little backwards with technology, but I am normally able to stumble through and get things to happen. Not this time and I don't want to waste hours of quality reading time. All I want is to add a damn book to my wishlist from the kobo desktop or the kobo website. GRRRRRRRR. sigh .. I do feel better now ... thanks for listening (or not)
angela67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #23679
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Welcome, angela67. And yes, I find the Kobo store more than a little frustrating. OTOH, I love Kobo coupons when they are really good ones, and that's why I keep going back. However, for someone spoiled by the Amazon buying experience, I have to agree that the Kobo one is "less successful".
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #23680
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Welcome, angela67. And yes, I find the Kobo store more than a little frustrating. OTOH, I love Kobo coupons when they are really good ones, and that's why I keep going back. However, for someone spoiled by the Amazon buying experience, I have to agree that the Kobo one is "less successful".
Hear, hear
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #23681
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, the humanity!

Hitch
That's what I'm talking about!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #23682
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Time to dig up an old *gasp* paperback!
Hitch understands!

Seriously, I'm very fortunate that those were my biggest concerns of the day. Life is good.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #23683
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
One last thing to add, @Pooh, not about Phoenix or any particular area: what you really need to look at is the historic locations of the jet stream, which of course is what drives pressure changes (fronts). There is something like 50 years of history available on-line. The jet stream mostly stays in Canada, all summer, but then dips down into the States during the winter season. You can track the fronts (the leading and trailing edges of the jet stream), historically, and determine the average frequency of pressure changes (fronts) through any given geographical location.

This will really give you the best "rule of thumb" to use for finding a new location that won't torture your head.

HTH,
Hitch
Old 03-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #23684
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thanks Hitch! What did we do before the interwebs? The jet stream is indeed mine enemy!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #23685
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Isn't there concern right now that the Jet Stream is moving, and this is one of the causes of the volatile weather conditions we've been seeing this last year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26023166
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness