Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Preferred SD card

Just got a Nook STR Glowlight, and I am wanting to root it. Now, in reading around, I've seen a few people have had errors and issues when they used class 10 cards. What class or brand card is preferred?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Sandisk cards are always the best. Unfortunately, there's a huge business in fakes that tries to take advantage of the Sandisk brand without the same level of quality. Make sure to get them in retail packaging, otherwise you're at risk for getting a fake (ex, *don't* get the Frustration-Free packaging on Amazon). I've had good luck getting real ones ordering retail packaged cards from Amazon. Deals sites, eBay, etc, will mostly have fakes.

Class 4 cards usually have the best small chunk read/write speeds, but I don't know if that makes a huge difference. The failure rates for Sandisk class 10 seems to be small, and I don't know that I've seen people complaining about class 6 cards.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Is it possible to run the OS from the SD card like you can with the Nook tablets? Kinda nice to just remove the SD card and boot to a stock OS, incase of warranty stuff.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Sandisk cards are always the best. Unfortunately, there's a huge business in fakes that tries to take advantage of the Sandisk brand without the same level of quality. Make sure to get them in retail packaging, otherwise you're at risk for getting a fake (ex, *don't* get the Frustration-Free packaging on Amazon). I've had good luck getting real ones ordering retail packaged cards from Amazon. Deals sites, eBay, etc, will mostly have fakes.

Class 4 cards usually have the best small chunk read/write speeds, but I don't know if that makes a huge difference. The failure rates for Sandisk class 10 seems to be small, and I don't know that I've seen people complaining about class 6 cards.
Thanks for the warning. I have an 8gb Sandisc card I bought from currys, it was £14.99, they want £24.99 for the 16gb. It works great, both in my Simple Touch and Nook HD. I saw what 'looked' like the same 16gb on Amazon for £9.99. I wonder if that's a fake. I'd rather pay the high street prices if fakes are a problem.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks for the warning. I have an 8gb Sandisc card I bought from currys, it was £14.99, they want £24.99 for the 16gb. It works great, both in my Simple Touch and Nook HD. I saw what 'looked' like the same 16gb on Amazon for £9.99. I wonder if that's a fake. I'd rather pay the high street prices if fakes are a problem.

If it's listed as being sold by SanDisk+Amazon, and you have the option of getting retail packaging, it was probably legit. Amazon is an official Sandisk retail partner ( or was last time I checked). If it was being sold by some other retailer through Amazon, or there wasn't an option to get retail packaging, you have good odds of getting a fake or a lower-quality card. The trick is to avoid purchasing from anyone who isn't an official Sandisk partner, and to avoid purchasing cards that have been taken out of Sandisk retail packaging. I've often wondered if Sandisk doesn't do a lot of the 'piracy' themselves, by dumping their borderline cards on non-partners without packaging, so they can protect their reputation for their retail cards.

I just wait until there's a Sandisk sale Daily Deals sale on Amazon (they happen every few months) and then buy any cards I think I'll need. I'm in the US though so I don't know if amazon.co.uk has the same deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Is it possible to run the OS from the SD card like you can with the Nook tablets? Kinda nice to just remove the SD card and boot to a stock OS, incase of warranty stuff.
I don't think so, because so far I don't know of anyone who's gotten Android to run on the NST. I've only heard about people rooting it. I know over in the XDA forums someone started trying to do a build of Android 2.3 for the NST, but they kept bricking theirs and might have given up. I think the only options right now are stock or rooted stock.

Last edited by Rbneader; 06-13-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
I've got a Nook HD+, not a touch, but the 32 GB class 10 Sandisk microSD card I just bought at Costco here in the states ($25) works fine.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Class 4 cards usually have the best small chunk read/write speeds, but I don't know if that makes a huge difference.
For running ROM off an SD card, it made a huge difference. I had a lot of force-closes and crashes with class 10 and some class 6 cards, but class 4 works flawlessly. Sandisk class 4 is best.

See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1005633 for discussion of comparative performance of SD cards of different classes and vendors.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote