Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
VickiG
VickiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Font Hack

Is there a simple way to upgrade fonts, like USE_ALT_FONTS available for the PW2 without having to use Jailbreak?

And if the answer is not and Jailbreaking is necessary, is there a thread with SIMPLE instructions for updating fonts?

Sorry to be so un-savy.
VickiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiG View Post
Is there a simple way to upgrade fonts, like USE_ALT_FONTS available for the PW2 without having to use Jailbreak?

And if the answer is not and Jailbreaking is necessary, is there a thread with SIMPLE instructions for updating fonts?

Sorry to be so un-savy.
There is a way, however 'simple' is not the term to use and it is currently unsupported on the PW2. There is hope it MAY be supported on the PW2 in the future. Since it is possible to get your new kindle into serious trouble with this 'hack', be careful unless you really know what you are doing. The thread is found here...but be sure to read everything the OP says about the hack before proceding.

PS- welcome to the forum! Don't feel un-savy, everyone starts somewhere and it is always best to ask before diving in.

Last edited by GoSharks; 11-28-2013 at 10:52 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
VickiG
VickiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
There is a way, however 'simple' is not the term to use and it is currently unsupported on the PW2. There is hope it MAY be supported on the PW2 in the future. Since it is possible to get your new kindle into serious trouble with this 'hack', be careful unless you really know what you are doing. The thread is found here...but be sure to read everything the OP says about the hack before proceding.

PS- welcome to the forum! Don't feel un-savy, everyone starts somewhere and it is always best to ask before diving in.
Thanks for your reply. From what I had read, not taking 24 hours to read everything in the forum this is what I came up with also. So I'll leave it alone for the time being. I have "old" eyes and sometimes the fonts on the Paperwhite just aren't dark enough for my old eyes. It's times like this when I should use my $69 Kindle and stop resisting. IF I need something off the PW, I can always pick it up and do what needs to be done there and go back to the Baby Kindle for reading. What a royal PITA!! <shrugs>
VickiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Short answer: no. Amazon took away user font loading via USE_ALT_FONTS.. Even if you jailbreak, the existing font hack does not yet work on pw2. For now, if you really want custom font you need to use calibre or other tools to embed the font into your DRM free or de-DRMed ebooks.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote