Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
quebeckerin
Enthusiast
quebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litterquebeckerin doesn't litter

Device: libre
Chinese fonts--Aluratek Libre Pro

I followed the instructions by FJC@YYZ on the Kobo forum for reading Chinese texts, even though I have an Aluratek Libre Pro. The basic idea was that you add a Chinese font (simsun.ttf) to the main directory of your e-reader. It worked perfectly. Thanks to that FJC's post, I can now read Chinese text files on my Libre Pro.
At least, I think it was thanks to that post. I just replaced my old Libre with a new one and it occurred to me that maybe the newer firmware already contained Chinese fonts. Does anyone know?
I'd like to make sure, because I'm trying to help someone else set up their ereader to read Chinese and I don't want to mislead them. Thanks in advance.
quebeckerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps you could provide a link to that Kobo forum thread/post, so that we can get an
idea of the procedure. As far as I know there has been no easy way to change the
default fonts or adding an additional font to the firmware. If you have done so we
would surely like to know how it is done.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
quebeckerin
Enthusiast

The thread on the Kobo Forum was called: Read Chinese in Kobo Touch.
I followed the instructions, except I was using the Aluratek Libre Pro, not the Kobo.
I now have Chinese fonts on my Aluratek--one for Simplified Chinese and one for Traditional. As I said, though, perhaps they were always there and I didn't realize it. If anyone has time, I would be grateful if they would check whether the fonts are already there.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, you mean the Kobo forum here on MR.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...39&postcount=1

No the 20i firmware has only the two "DejaVu" fonts.

So you are saying that you added the Chinese fonts in addition to the two DejaVu
fonts? You did this by creating a "fonts" folder (where?) and adding .ttf files?

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I tried it with a couple of .ttf fonts but I still only have the two "DejaVu" fonts to
select from.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
quebeckerin
Enthusiast

Ken,
It's when I click on Settings, Encoding, that I see all the different languages. Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Chinese Simplified, etc. Do you also see these on your Libre Pro?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebeckerin View Post
Ken,
It's when I click on Settings, Encoding, that I see all the different languages. Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Chinese Simplified, etc. Do you also see these on your Libre Pro?
OK, the 20i does have encoding support for "Simple Chinese" and "Traditional
Chinese", this is a little different from placing another selectable font on the ALP.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
quebeckerin
Enthusiast

Yeah, I think I gave myself too much credit. I saw that my Libre Pro was displaying Chinese and I thought it was because I added the font, but the fonts were probably there all along in the 20i. If so, I wonder why Aluratek doesn't admit that their ereader will display Chinese. It's as if they hide the information and you have to stumble on it by accident. Anyway, thanks, Ken.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Maybe they where afraid it would directly translate English words into chinese letters, instead of chinese words? ;-)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote