Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
santiagobear
santiagobear began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
Question Kobo books on Calibre

Hi, all. I'm a newbie here, and am having a problem with a book I bought from Kobo recently. I bought the book from Kobo because they advertised that could read my books "freely" since their philosophy is that if you buy it, you own it.

Apparently, that's hype.

Anyway - I bought the book, installed their reader on my Blackberry, and it can't find the book. I can log into their website from my laptop or desktop, and the book is there under purchases. If I log in with my blackberry, it shows that "you haven't purchased any books, yet."

Sent an email to their customer support asking for help, and after 2 weeks of trying, deleting and reloading, etc., they said they were going to refer it to their specialized help desk. This desk asked for the make and model of my Blackberry, the name and author of the book I'd bought (apparently, they hadn't read the thread that had supposedly been sent to them), and said they'd get right back to me.

That was weeks ago.

Is there any way to actually load a KOBO book into Calibre, which I KNOW works, so I can just send it to my Blackberry and read it on Mobipocket? I DID buy it. I should be able to store it in my own library. No?

Oh - and I also sent a private message to the Kobo thread here, asking for the Linux "pre-release" of their desktop software, so I could at least read the book on my laptop, but after 2 weeks of waiting, I still haven't gotten a response to his offer.

Overall, I'm incredibly UNDERwhelmed with Kobo.

Last edited by santiagobear; 01-24-2012 at 08:41 AM.
santiagobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What you (should) have on your blackberry is a KEPUB, which is Kobo's super secret locked down ebook file format. For most ebooks Kobo also provides an Adobe ePub version which is what you want to import into Calibre.

Sign in to your Kobo account on their web site and select "My Library". You should see an "Adobe DRM EPUB" tab by each of your ebooks. Click on this to get the Adobe ePub. Note that you need Adobe Digital Editions on your PC or Mac, and you should register to get an Adobe ID before downloading an ebook. Under Linux, you can likely run ADE using Wine.

What Kobo sends you is an ACSM file that is a "ticket" that Adobe uses to get you the actual ePub. If you get an .acsm file, open it on Adobe Digital Editions and ADE will get the ePub. It has DRM, so see Apprentice Alf's Blog for what to do about this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert