Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
brontus
Enthusiast
brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, Kindle Fire, Aldiko on LG Optimus Elite
PRS 500 (updated) + ADE + Linux

I had a hardware failure and had to reinstall Linux on my computer. Calibre works fine, but I read a lot of ebooks from the library, so I need Adobe Digital Editions. I got that installed via WINE and it's working fine, but it doesn't "see" the reader. I know I got this to work in the past, but I can't find anything on it now.

Can anyone help me figure this out?
brontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
I just installed ADE with Wine. Try to cd to wine drive, and into the ADE directory to find the executable. On my system, the executable is at:

Quote:
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Digital Editions/digitaleditions.exe
It should be similar on your system.

You then execute it with:

Quote:
wine digitaleditions.exe
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Plug your reader in and let it mount, then load ade. I found this was the only way I could get ade to see my reader (100% Linux user here)
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
brontus
Enthusiast
brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

I don't have any problems loading ADE. But even following Solicitous' advice, it isn't seeing the reader. Linux is seeing it just fine, but ADE isn't.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

@brontus: If you haven't yet, you need to map the Linux mountpoint to a drive letter using winecfg. The drive needs to be of floppy type (Advanced settings).
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
brontus
Enthusiast

I've tried that, and still nothing. I think I'm just going to give up and just reboot into windows whenever I need to use ADE.

I read somewhere that WINE doesn't support USB drivers? If that's the case, that is the problem because, despite the fact that the updated reader is seen as a mass storage device, ADE still will only recognize it if SONY drivers are installed.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Pistos
Connoisseur

Well, FWIW, I've used my Kobo Touch with ADE under Wine without problems. Transferred books and everything.