Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Well, it's not like it comes from the 19th Century. We're talking new in 2010, so that's like 2 years. I have *actual books* that are over 70 years old. In fact, the Ramen noodles I just ate might be older than that Kindle 2. :-)
Wrong time scale.
Age here is measured in posts since device introduction.

There have been a lot of devices introduced since then, and interest has moved far away from that bit of legacy e-ink device.

You would be a good person to improve the K2 index page as you find the older posts of stuff you think is useful.
In fact, probably the best person, since you are the only person here still actively working with the device.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
2 years = 60% of expected life - at best with the shabola battery life and hammering the device.

that's like 60+ or something in human years : D hehehe

they do look cool though. I keep expecting them to transform into a robot or something.

If they did that actually I would buy one. : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I suggest to go and try using the "idme" command (I guess it's also there on the K2) to set the serial number and board ID of your new motherboard (back it up!) to the data of your old motherboard. I think this is the logical approach after failing to retrieve or change the WAN MAC address.
I'm still not clear on what this means. How would I use the command? Connect it via the USB, go to a command line prompt, CD to the Kindle drive (usually L:\ in my case) and then type "idme" ?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
I'm still not clear on what this means. How would I use the command? Connect it via the USB, go to a command line prompt, CD to the Kindle drive (usually L:\ in my case) and then type "idme" ?
You dont have to be in the flashdrive part, just as soon as you ssh into the kindle type "idme ?" at the prompt.

You will need usbnet located in the "Fonts and Screensavers for Kindles" thread here.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I found references to telnet, ssh, and "serial console" in the following post. I know what telnet is because of my days working with some of the old versions of MS DOS and Linux, but I don't know what ssh or serial console mean. In the DIAGS menu, referred to above, if you hit the number for "change serial number" it goes away and waits to be changed via the "serial console." If I could use that, I could change the serial number of the replacement motherboard and be able to register it. That's what I'm aiming for.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
I found references to telnet, ssh, and "serial console" in the following post. I know what telnet is because of my days working with some of the old versions of MS DOS and Linux, but I don't know what ssh or serial console mean. In the DIAGS menu, referred to above, if you hit the number for "change serial number" it goes away and waits to be changed via the "serial console." If I could use that, I could change the serial number of the replacement motherboard and be able to register it. That's what I'm aiming for.
SSH is Secure Shell, basically encrypted telnet. I believe that usbnet still provides a telnetd so you could use that...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #37
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
You dont have to be in the flashdrive part, just as soon as you ssh into the kindle type "idme ?" at the prompt.

You will need usbnet located in the "Fonts and Screensavers for Kindles" thread here.
I finally got it set up using my MacBook rather that Windows, because it looked easier. (I'm guessing that the "d" at the end of "telnetd" means driver. At first I thought it was a typo.)

Anyway, a lot of what I used to know about UNIX and LINUX came back to me, but it was frustrating. I now have the usbnet set up and can ssh to it. I get a read only connection with instructions about what to invoke to make it writable, but just typing in 'idme ?' at the hash prompt I get something like the following:

Quote:
[root@kindle root]# idme ?
serial number = B003F0C064349671
board id = WP1A000000000000
panel id = E1BLABLABLABLABLABL (V110_119_60_M04)
pcb serial number = ????????
accelerometer offset string = ????????????????
The serial number is made up of course, but it's the same format. The board id is what it is, so it's probably more like a model number than a unique ID. There's no pcb serial number or accelerometer offset string, and I don't really know what those are. Maybe it's a secret.

I guess now the objective is to change something. If I use the ENABLE_DIAGS method to change the serial number I should get the following message:

Quote:
Device ID initialization must be performed from the debug board console.
Press 1 to set Serial Number now.
Pres X to abort setting Serial Number now.
and if I press 1 it just waits for the 'debug board console' to do something, but I'm not sure what. I'm sort of assuming that this is where my ssh from the usbnet connection comes in. Perhaps a message pops up in the shell and asks me to input the new serial number? That would be nice. I could then change it to the one that's currently registered.

But if the 'debug board console' is some sort of hardware interface then that probably won't work. I know there's a "debug mode" in usbnet to enable "private commands" but that's not going to be available to me. Anyway I set the usbnet on "auto" so assume it will connect that way on the boot.

Any advice before I commit? Is there some other way to change the serial number in flash now that I can get access to a shell?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #38
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Well, now I can't change the "auto" file to "DISABLE_auto" because it doesn't boot in mass storage mode and I need a password to get into the "home" directory where it's stored. I never set a password, so I have no idea what it is. The password revealed by the kindletool wasn't right, so not sure what to do. Which password am I supposed to use?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 AM   #39
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Is there an instruction set that would enable me to turn off usbnetwork? It was turned on by hitting the delete key and entering

;debugOn
`usbNetwork
;debugOff

[BTW, it's not clear from the documentation that the "O" is capitalized, but it doesn't seem to matter.]

Is this part of the Jailbreak instruction set, or is it native to the Kindle, or part of the usbnet instruction set? For instance, how would I turn off the feature, something like:
`usbNetworkOff

Would that work?

[Update: Never mind. This Youtube video helped. The instruction in debug mode is:
`usbQa ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyO5cjuqF4g

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-18-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #40
freewheeling
Nameless Being

I got it!

Much simpler than I thought. A mix of installing Jailbreak and usbNetwork and figuring out the instruction set for debug mode and idme. It worked like a charm!

Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
(I'm guessing that the "d" at the end of "telnetd" means driver. At first I thought it was a typo.)
d == daemon
What Windows users call a "service".

Quote:
Anyway, a lot of what I used to know about UNIX and LINUX came back to me, but it was frustrating. I now have the usbnet set up and can ssh to it. I get a read only connection with instructions about what to invoke to make it writable, but just typing in 'idme ?' at the hash prompt I get something like the following:

- - -

The serial number is made up of course, but it's the same format. The board id is what it is, so it's probably more like a model number than a unique ID. There's no pcb serial number or accelerometer offset string, and I don't really know what those are. Maybe it's a secret.

I guess now the objective is to change something.
You just showed that the idme utility is working, use that to change things.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #42
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
d == daemon
What Windows users call a "service".

You just showed that the idme utility is working, use that to change things.
Yes, the idme utility is the key. Getting access to it through Jailbreak and Usbnet is the process. Once you type idme -h everything becomes obvious. However, I thought it had failed because the serial number didn't actually change until I'd rebooted, so was kind of surprised to see it in settings.

BTW, there's no mac address to change on the K2i. And I think the board id can only have two values.

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.