Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Map location

We are on our way from NY to Tennessee, via Rte 81. Just stopped for the night in Harrisonburg VA. I Turned on the PE and logged into the hotel's WIFI - no problem. Just for the heck of it, I opened Map and checked to see if the PE could come up with a location. It Came up with a location that was as good as the iPad 2, and better/faster than the iPad 1. Frankly, I was surprised.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Not at all surprising since google has been logging the position of wireless APs for ages - if you can connect to it google knows where it is.

They got our public access one down to the building - we checked using the MAC address. They haven't got our non-public one though - no phones allowed to connect to it
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

The really surprising part was the response speed of the PE. As I said, it was on a par with the iPad 2.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
The really surprising part was the response speed of the PE. As I said, it was on a par with the iPad 2.
Which just proves what good pieces of equipment the PE and EE are.

It's still a mystery why Entourage went out of business with what they had.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
syclone
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Which just proves what good pieces of equipment the PE and EE are.

It's still a mystery why Entourage went out of business with what they had.
The operative words are "could have been" - if they had ever been finished.

I'm surprised that one of the techies from Entourage, hasn't gotten into the forum (in disguise of course) and supplied some guidance. I'm sure quite a few people put a lot of themselves into the project.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
raylang
raylang began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I was wondering if you could explain how you got the map app to locate you? Every time I hit the locate me button in the map menu it tells me to turn on the My Location in settings, but I don't see anything in settings for this. A little help please.
raylang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
syclone
Zealot

Sorry, I don't recall doing anything with the map app. I have, However, upgraded to Ermine 2.2 and rooted my PE.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
raylang
raylang began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
If you don't mind, could you check the version of the Google map app that you have for me. I am running 4.1.1
I already rooted and am running Ermine 2.2 Thanks for the reply.
raylang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
syclone
Zealot

Running ver.4.6.0 (#4686) - Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
Where can I get a copy of the Google map ap?
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
syclone
Zealot

Doesn't the map app come with Ermine 2.2?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrye View Post
Where can I get a copy of the Google map ap?
Head over to: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android and look for google maps 5.4.0.apk that one works on my EE without problems, the latest one doesn't want to install.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
No map app, with my Ermine....
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
Doesn't the map app come with Ermine 2.2?
Nope!

I don't think Ermine added any new apps, just new versions of older apps (Froyo email, for example). Correct me if I'm wrong!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
syclone
Zealot

I tend to forget my name if I don't check my ID 3 times a day. Someone relieve the suspense - what's the source of the google maps app? :]