Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #31
tarke9891
Enthusiast
tarke9891 doesn't littertarke9891 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Just tried downloading straight from manybooks.net, it worked. I didn't think you could do that. Only tried it b/c of this tread. Thanks
tarke9891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #32
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
My K3 hasn't shipped yet, but what type of documents can the kindle view from a website? Can I put pdf and mobi documents on dropbox, open them with the kindle browser, and have the kindle view them like any normal ebook? Are these files then saved into the kindle or do I need to re-download them everytime? If the latter, then I would probably not be able to have the kindle remember my last page or be able to add notes. Does this work over 3G as well?

I love the idea of being able to access additional storage off the cloud, which eases the annoyance of not having a storage slot. I hate having to attach a device to my computer to sync. Reminds too much of my Pre-Android Windows Mobile days.
BTW, this is the mobile version of the dropbox site, which should make access quicker: Ahem, this is my itty bitty referral link: . Please help. :)
Thanks!

Last edited by badbob001; 10-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #33
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Kindle can view many types of files, but the mobi, prc and azw are the ones that download correctly as normal Kindle books. (These must, of course, be non-drm'd ebooks). Even though the K3 supposedly reads pdf files, you can expect an error message if you try to download pdf books from the Dropbox.

Once you have picked the ebooks up from the dropbox, they reside on your Kindle so you do not need to download them again.

Thanks for the mobile link. Hadn't thought about using that as the regular link worked so well.

cheers
my link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMzNzQ2MjE5

Last edited by Leep; 10-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
unless you have the great and mighty (well, not so mighty in this case) DX Graphite which doesn't have wifi

and you cant download PDFs via the browser...

so i'm forced to sync with my desktop in the morning, and bring my cable around to the library if my professor assigns something on pdf to read
You can however email a PDF to your kindle. A regular email will deliver the PDF, however if you type "convert" in the subject it will convert it to a MOBI.

There have been several times where I've emailed a PDF from my blackberry to my Kindle in order to view a PDF. Esp if the PDF is a vanilla PDF.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #35
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a brief update for those of you starting to use dropbox to share ebooks.

With the newest version of Calibre, you can drag and drop from Calibre right into the dropbox. Again many thanks to Kovid and his techies that give us all these cool options.

cheers
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Just a brief update for those of you starting to use dropbox to share ebooks.

With the newest version of Calibre, you can drag and drop from Calibre right into the dropbox. Again many thanks to Kovid and his techies that give us all these cool options.

cheers
awesome! Thanks Leep! (did you give Kovid K? )
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #37
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Another referral link:
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM3MTE0OTc5
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #38
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does using HTTPS to dropbox help in any way in getting PDFs to download?

For anyone that needs it: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU5NjM2Nzg5
Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #39
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Kindle can view many types of files, but the mobi, prc and azw are the ones that download correctly as normal Kindle books. (These must, of course, be non-drm'd ebooks). Even though the K3 supposedly reads pdf files, you can expect an error message if you try to download pdf books from the Dropbox.

Once you have picked the ebooks up from the dropbox, they reside on your Kindle so you do not need to download them again.

Thanks for the mobile link. Hadn't thought about using that as the regular link worked so well.

cheers
my link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMzNzQ2MjE5
And here is Leep's link.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #40
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarke9891 View Post
Wow, I have been using dropbox for my stuff i get off Gutenberg.com and manybooks.net at work and then caming home and putting it in the calibre library. Thank you for the idea and the testing of it. I am very happy i found this forum.

We are also Happy you found us here on MR,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #41
s0uls
s0uls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Also its good if you have more than 1 kindle o you have friends that have both kindles and dropbox, just share a folder with your friends so you all can drop books and they can be accessed from yours and your friend kindles.

Here is my link Get 250mb of extra dropbox storage for both of us
s0uls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #42
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
@Leep
What do you mean by drag n drop exactly? Do you mean the library folder and if so does Calibre know that the library has moved and to start updating the dropbox folder instead?
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #43
Leep
Guru

Drag and Drop takes the place of "save to disk" or "send to device" It does not physically remove the book from your Calibre library. It's just a quicker method of getting books out. Using the dropbox as a vehicle to share books, pictures, and other large files with friends is great since you can assign access to different people on a folder by folder basis. And with the Kindle, you can quickly download the book onto your Kindle directly from the dropbox, using the Kindle wifi browser.

The other discussion has been about "moving" a Calibre library from your hard drive to the dropbox so that you can access it from multiple computers. The plus is easy access from more than one computer, the con is that you need internet access to get to the dropbox and your Calibre library. I personally came to the decision to use the dropbox as "cloud" backup for my Calibre library and to leave the working library on my hard drive.

Hope this helps explain. Yell if you have further questions.

cheers
my dropbox referral link: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMzNzQ2MjE5

Last edited by Leep; 10-08-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #44
Leep
Guru

Many thanks to those who have used my dropbox referral link. Much appreciated.

cheers
Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #45
badbob001
Fanatic

Finally able to use my new K3. Non-mobile views of website like Drop makes the text very small and faint. The mobile version of dropbox looks great... but you can't download anything since it complains that opening a new window is not supported. I'm on firmware 3.01. Does 3.02 resolve this?

Also, downloading large files lacks feedback. With small files, I would almost immediately get a message saying the file is downloaded. But when downloading a 80MB mobi file, it didn't acknowledge what it is doing after I click the link. I still have control over the browser so it's a mystery if it's downloading. I even click on the link again to the same effect. Checking my Kindle later, I see the large mobi document on my home page. I wonder if background downloading of web files is supported.

I tried downloading a PDF and it's not supported, even when on wifi. The non-mobile dropbox page is https so that doesn't help to hide the file extension from amazon. Perhaps it's not a restriction of the amazon proxy but a restriction in the browser itself.

A dropbox client for kindle would be so awesome. I hate having to connect the kindle to me PC every time I need something from my library.

My referral: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU5NjM2Nzg5

Tags
calibre, dropbox, kindle, share ebooks