Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
My iPad Pro 10.5 has arrived!

Bought it on the Best Buy $100 off sale. Early anniversary present. It's downloading iOS 11 right now.

Here's hoping I survive and this tablet actually does turn out great for image editing! Which is mainly why I bought it, so I can clean up ebook images and covers easier. I sure loved the look of how the Pencil works with Affinity Photo!

It's been frustrating so far. First it wouldn't take my Wifi password, that only took about 5-6 tries!

Then once I got it set up, it had me reading some tips, only I clicked a link to see the user guide and never could figure a way to go back to the tips! There doesn't appear to be any back button.... As for ever finding the tips section again, Siri was useless!

But I've got an Apple ID now and it's verified my phone and email address and iOS11 is proceeding, so maybe the worst is over. But I have a sneaking suspicion there's a steep learning curve ahead....

And iOS 11 is installed, gotta go!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So ... what is the best way to put books on this thing? And open them in various epub reader apps to see how they perform?

I've got DropBox on and I made an epub file available offline because there doesn't appear to BE any export option (!!!) and then I was able to see the book in Files and open it in iBooks.

But I can't figure out how to get it into any other reader apps for testing. Marvin seems to have a DropBox link, but it isn't working. Pocketbook, I don't see an import option. Likewise for Gitden Reader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advert
Old 09-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I usually access my books in Dropbox. It doesnt like epubs but then you can “open in” and choose your weapon. I use Hyphen and Marvin.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard

Well, it took a bit, but I got iCloud installed on my PC this morning. Stupid program refused to recognize my Apple password, but after I successfully logged onto the web interface, suddenly, the PC version let me log in.

Anyway, I put a couple epubs in iCloud and from there I was able to 'share' them to Marvin 3. And I'm happy, because they look fine and behave well in Marvin. They also look OK in iBooks, except they are ragged right for some reason, I read that's the iBooks default, but it seems odd since I have full justification on in settings. I won't pick though, since otherwise all is well and things look as they should.

Marvin3 seems nice, I may buy it later, but no $$ at the moment, I need to be sure I'm keeping this thing. I really can't say I think much of iOS so far, feels clunky and inelegant compared to stock Android.

BUT, I'm willing to put up with much in the interest of image editing, as I mostly digitize books with illustrations and as a lot of what I do is rare, I have to restore a lot of images like covers and author photos, in addition to interior images.

I put a tough book cover with a lot of wrinkles, scuffs and damage in iCloud to give it the acid test and so far, so good! I freaking LOVE Affinity Photo and the Apple Pencil! It was so easy to retouch! I'd be at it still of the Pencil hadn't run out of juice.

Apple should give those devs a kickback, I never would've bought an iPad if I could've had that app on Android....

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I really can't say I think much of iOS so far, feels clunky and inelegant compared to stock Android.
I think it's a matter of what you're used to. I've used iOS for years, and just can't get on with Android!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
So ... what is the best way to put books on this thing? And open them in various epub reader apps to see how they perform?

I've got DropBox on and I made an epub file available offline because there doesn't appear to BE any export option (!!!) and then I was able to see the book in Files and open it in iBooks.

But I can't figure out how to get it into any other reader apps for testing. Marvin seems to have a DropBox link, but it isn't working. Pocketbook, I don't see an import option. Likewise for Gitden Reader.

I use Calibre Companion on my Mini and Pro. Works Great! You transfer your epub to CC on the iPad from your computer and then you can assign it to any epub reader app you've installed on the iPad including iBooks.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it's a matter of what you're used to. I've used iOS for years, and just can't get on with Android!

Could be, but I usually adjust quite quickly to new programs and hardware.

Today's frustration in the land of 'It just works' (Only it doesn't...) was the Apple Pencil, which, though fully charged and saying connected, wouldn't work. Some Googling told me that the Pencil not working is, in fact, a common occurrence. Turned out, all my troubleshooting steps were indeed the correct ones (reboot device, forget Pencil, re-pair), but the trouble was that the Pencil tip can come loose and needs to be retightened.

And so it goes....

Old 09-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I use Calibre Companion on my Mini and Pro. Works Great! You transfer your epub to CC on the iPad from your computer and then you can assign it to any epub reader app you've installed on the iPad including iBooks.

I may have to try that. But if it costs, it'll have to wait. My wad is shot after getting Affinity Photo. I'll have to hope for some iTunes gift cards for Xmas.

So far, iCloud is working well enough, epubs not generally being large files. And I'm only needing to test, not read.

Image transfer is my main concern. It isn't so quick to upload 100MB files, then have to download them. Good thing I have fiber optic Wifi! Pity Apple can't make it easy like with Android where I just plug into the computer and copy/paste anything I want to put on the device. Can do massive transfers of files with no dang cloud in between.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard

I've worked further on my acid test cover illustration. It's starting to look really good! I don't think I can do *all* the restoration on the iPad, but if I can do most, then export and finish the fine details in Photoshop on the computer, I'll be a happy camper. Next test after that will be a black and white illustration, complex, that I need to clean up. If that goes well, this tablet is a keeper, I think.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:03 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Pity Apple can't make it easy like with Android where I just plug into the computer and copy/paste anything I want to put on the device. Can do massive transfers of files with no dang cloud in between.
You can do that.

Run iTunes, select the device, then "File Sharing". You'll get a list of apps that can accept files. Click on the app you want to send the file to, and just drag and drop the file to it.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I just posted this in another thread:

"In iOS 11 you can use the new Folder app to find epubs in your Dropbox and they will load immediately into iBooks - assuming you want to use iBooks as your reader. First have Calibre transfer books to your Dropbox folder or a folder within Dropbox.

Still not as nice as was CC and I'm hoping that will show up in the app store."

Calibre Companion is no longer in the app store and Marvin no longer works with Dropbox.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can do that.

Run iTunes, select the device, then "File Sharing". You'll get a list of apps that can accept files. Click on the app you want to send the file to, and just drag and drop the file to it.
I do realize that, but am not real keen on installing iTunes. My computer is older and a bit shaky, I'd rather not install anything I don't feel I truly need. So far, iCloud is doing the trick, at least I hope so! I will find out today if files sync back to my computer OK.

EDIT: P.S. One good thing is that I'm not the fastest worker, my eyes can only take retouching images in small doses these days. So it's not too big a deal that I can't transfer big masses of files. It would be nice, but not essential.

I'm really liking the pixel brush in Affinity! I was able to zoom in and work with a 1 pixel brush, so if all exports OK, I think this is a go!

The image I used is a complex drawing with a lot of crosshatching. I was able to really get in there and clean up the white areas, today I'll do the black areas. It's for a 1930s golf book I'm digitizing for hubby. I was absolutely dreading doing this image on the computer, but the Pencil made it so much easier, I just glided around the glass like magic!

The iPad seems nice and fast and smooth, very similar to my Pixel C, though I think most of my games sound better on the Pixel C! But I really like the TrueTone lighting on the iPad at night, that's brilliant! It's like my Aura One!

I had a scary moment yesterday when the iPad screen went black and neither the home or wake buttons would light it up again. Turned out all I had to do was close and open my sleep cover. Googled, and apparently I'm not the only one who's seen this behavior. Sounds like a bug, hopefully to get fixed in an update.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Last edited by graycyn; 10-01-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I really would recommend installing iTunes; it's an extremely useful program. The ability to copy files directly to and from the iPad is particularly useful.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #14
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Í gave myself an iPad 10.5 too. Being an iPad addict, I had the 1, 2, 4, 1 air and very shortly the mini, which I found too smaal for websurfing.

The 10.5 is easily the best iPad so far; excellent screen, great spacious sound (ideal for movies) very fast CPU etc.
Not for everyone, but if you are a heavy user that is looking for a large iOS-tablet, but not 12.7 large, this one is it.
Others will be happy with the iPad 2017, which gives remarkable value for far less money then the Pro.

I don't use it for ereading though, preferring e-ink for that.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
I don't use it for ereading though, preferring e-ink for that.
I'm studying part time for a degree in Egyptology, and one of my main uses of my iPad is reading the large number of journal articles and other reference works in PDF format that my course entails. I find it excellent as a PDF reader, and the 10.5" screen size is, for me, the ideal compromise between size and portability. (I previously had both 9.7" and 12.9" iPads, and sold them after I got the 10.5".)