Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
VerSoc38
VerSoc38 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Problem with   and  

Hello, sorry for mistakes, english is not my main language.

I have a problem with non-breaking spaces. I'am done with OCR edit of one book in Abby FineReader 14. I save it as html file, then second time editing in Word (correction etc.). Then i go to calibre and convert it to epub file. At the end I make some corrections in Sigil and convert to AZW3.

Everything looks great on preview in Sigil and Calibre. Looks great too in my Kindle - it keeps all styles, fonts, headers that i added before except of non-breaking spaces in some places.

I can't remove it using Sigil cause when I try neighboring words connect together.

It's werid cause in the preview everything looks okey. How can I fix it? Or maybe never again save OCR file as HTML cause it makes much problems like that?
VerSoc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
A regular space will keep neighboring words from connecting together. The NBSP keeps two words on the same line. Is that what you wanted? HTML is a fine format to preserve information and formatting when supplemented with CSS. Study our wiki for help.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I don't know if this is still true but some word processing programs would insert a "different" space character if you held down the ctl (control) key when you tapped the space bar. So I'm wondering if the space you see is some sort of different space character.

Along those lines, in Calibre's Convert window, under Look & Feel, in the Text tab, there's a check box, Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII; maybe try turning that on and see if it helps.

Or, did you try Sigil's Mend and prettify all html files? Calibre also has the same thing.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerSoc38 View Post
Hello, sorry for mistakes, english is not my main language.

I have a problem with non-breaking spaces. I'am done with OCR edit of one book in Abby FineReader 14. I save it as html file, then second time editing in Word (correction etc.). Then i go to calibre and convert it to epub file. At the end I make some corrections in Sigil and convert to AZW3.

Everything looks great on preview in Sigil and Calibre. Looks great too in my Kindle - it keeps all styles, fonts, headers that i added before except of non-breaking spaces in some places.

I can't remove it using Sigil cause when I try neighboring words connect together.

It's werid cause in the preview everything looks okey. How can I fix it? Or maybe never again save OCR file as HTML cause it makes much problems like that?
Use Search & Replace in Sigil (or Calibre). In the "Search" field write " " (without quotes) and in the "Replace" field write " " (also without quotes). That should solve your issues.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote