Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #4081
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
My problem there is that I've got around 400 ebooks on my wishlists, so that's not much of a limitation...
Sure it is. Coupons now tend to be single-use only. Or no-use, as in my recent experience. So you'd still have 399 wishlist books to go.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #4082
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Sure it is. Coupons now tend to be single-use only. Or no-use, as in my recent experience. So you'd still have 399 wishlist books to go.
As true as that is, I was referring to the "on your wishlist" restriction not being much of an impediment - not about the coupon.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #4083
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Resisting the urge to buy a Granta subscription...
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #4084
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just bought an ebook. But it doesn't go on my TBR, as I've read it before. And I mainly bought it to show my appreciation for the idea and the author. It was The Tau Manifesto.

But that only takes my total for 2017 to three! Pretty good for over half way thorugh the month!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #4085
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

But that only takes my total for 2017 to three! Pretty good for over half way thorugh the month!

I'm pleased that I've been able to resist some appealing non-fiction deals at Amazon this month, especially since that means that my year-end buying flurry was a bobble and not a total derailment, to mix my metaphors.

And Amazon will be helping me out once K4PC upgrades, as I'll have to really, really want something to buy it after that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #4086
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I succumbed to buying the latest in a favourite series. I'm hoping that was just a glitch, however.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #4087
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Well, I finally got the rest of that big Open Road "purchase" processed through calibre. I've still gotta sort out and rename most of 'em, then file 'em appropriately for optimization, but at least they're all converted to EPUB with proper baseline metadata and have been passed through the first demung step. Why, some of the series are even in the right places in the temp folder!

Granted, I still have to go into Goodreads and add the "I own a copy" data. I really wish there were a way to do that en masse...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #4088
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, now. Only 3 books read (although a fourth should be added today), and now 10 books bought/borrowed. Of those, at least 3 break my unofficial rules - they are not the next unread book in a series - maybe more than that given that a couple of the others are for my chronological SF challenge and are some way off. I have mostly stuck to my wishlists, at least.

On the other hand, one of them was one that almost got away last year:

A few months ago I went to a local second-hand bookshop, and they had a really nice hardback copy of The Other Wind by Ursula Le Guin (in fact, they had the whole set, I think, but the last one is the only one I need). I thought about it, but the book was £3, and the ebook was £2.99, and why would I want to pay extra for the inconvenience of a pbook, even if it is a nice one? The very next day (I think) the ebook went up to £4.99, where it has remained ever since.

I was quite annoyed.

Anyway, I went back today, and discovered that they still had The Other Wind, although there was no sign of the other Earthsea books, so I went ahead and bought it this time.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #4089
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This time last year, my TBR was already 28 books up on the start of the year.

This year, it's actually 2 books down!

[Feeling smug]
Old 01-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #4090
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
This time last year, my TBR was already 28 books up on the start of the year.

This year, it's actually 2 books down!

[Feeling smug]
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:16 AM   #4091
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Someone has kindly posted a script that allows DRM-free download from Dark Horse Comics.

But now I'll have to add all my Buffy purchases to my 2015 or 2016 book buying totals! (I wasn't counting them because I couldn't download them.)
Old 01-20-2017, 01:15 AM   #4092
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
I've just bought an ebook. But it doesn't go on my TBR, as I've read it before. And I mainly bought it to show my appreciation for the idea and the author. It was The Tau Manifesto.

Does that make it a book purchase or a donation that includes a gift?
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 AM   #4093
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Does that make it a book purchase or a donation that includes a gift?
It's a book. I bought it. It's in calibre. It's a book purchase.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #4094
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Someone has kindly posted a script that allows DRM-free download from Dark Horse Comics.

But now I'll have to add all my Buffy purchases to my 2015 or 2016 book buying totals! (I wasn't counting them because I couldn't download them.)
On the other hand, being able to import these into calibre, means I can also compare with a Buffy Humble Bundle I bought in 2016, and weed out the duplicates. Getting to my target TBR total this year might be easier than I thought...

... in which case, I'll probably revise my target.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:06 AM   #4095
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I deleted three books (well, one omnibus) unread and unopened from my kindle account yesterday. It was a freebie I grabbed in the bad old days, and I decided I was never going to read it and didn't want it cluttering up my spreadsheet. I don't know whether to give myself credit for that in my stats. It does seem somewhat like cheating, but on the other hand they did come off my TBR, and I would have counted them if I'd downloaded them.

It might be a dangerous precedent to set, though, if I use deleting some junk to justify more spending.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote