Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
katielady
katielady began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
How to break up into sections ???

Hello,

I have a .pdf file that I converted to ePub with Calibre. I started reading it on my Kobo and then decided not to continue. It has no TOC or chapters so I will have to click about 250 times to get to the end of the book to "finish" it and get it off my reading list.

I read in this forum that Sigil can "edit and break up the ePub files" so I will have chapters or a Table of Contents.

I installed Sigil and although I manage quite nicely with software programs this one has me stumped.

When I open the ePub book I get a list of .html's on the left. If I click on Insert/Chapters nothing seems to happen.

Can someone help ? Thanks !

PS I read (or tried to read) the manual. Most of it meant nothing to me.
katielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sure, it is actually quite easy. The actual result does depends on the input. Garbage in garbage out...

Anyway, the first thing you can try is bring up the TOC editor (F7). If you are lucky, your headers are present there. Then you just save and you have a TOC.
If you are not lucky, than you need to specify the headers in the html files yourself.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
slick8086
slick8086 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
The way I do this is to use the Insert>SFG Chapter Marker everywhere I want a chapter then use Tools>Split on SGF Chapter Markers.

Once that is done I find or add "Chapter XX" or what ever text you want at the beginning of each chapter then apply "Heading 2" to that text. Then Sigil will take those to make the TOC entries.
slick8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Start over, convert with calibre, BUT on conversion->structure detection, change the 'chapter mark' from pagebreak to none. On Epub-Output set split files to 4000
(Then the whole text will be in one file)

Load converted epub in Sigil, searching (code-view) for '<h\d', then move up a few lines, and insert a Sigil Chapter Marker where you want the split, and repeat process for rest of file. Then when done, Tools->'Split on SGF Chapter Markers'.
Job Done.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
STEM
Prospective publisher
STEM began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have been tearing my hair out trying to build a meaningful TOC for this (my first) try at producing an e-book.
I can get a list of files that I have split it into by chapter, but I cannot make some sort of href or whatever to make it inter-active with the chapters by chapter title, can you help.
Thanks, Les
PS I also live in Kent (Ramsgate)
Attached Files
File Type: epub ABRAHAM.epub (82.9 KB, 310 views)
STEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
STEM
Prospective publisher
STEM began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have been tearing my hair out trying to build a meaningful TOC for this (my first) try at producing an e-book.
I can get a list of files that I have split it into by chapter, but I cannot make some sort of href or whatever to make it inter-active with the chapters by chapter title, can you help.
Thanks, Les
See attachment in
Go Back MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil
Reload this Page How to break up into sections ???
STEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Did you look in tools/TOC editor? Also fill in Tools/Meta editor.

A TOC is really simple if you have h2, h3, etc. statements in your chapter titles.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEM View Post
Thanks, Les
See attachment in
Go Back MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil
Reload this Page How to break up into sections ???
DaleDe is correct, a TOC is a piece of cake in Sigil. Just wrap your chapter headers in h1-2-3 tags and Sigil will build an ncx for you...unless you mean you are trying to build an html.toc?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

For linking the Contents entries you have already...

Open the epub in sigil, switch to CodeView
Open ABRAHAM.html (should be opened already)
For each of the 'links' surround the text with a link tag, (<a>) and use a href pointing to the file you want to link it to.
e.g.
<a href="Section0001.xhtml">Foreword</a>

Repeat for all the entries you want linked to.

Use Tools-TOC editor, to see results.

For the built-in table of contents....
In each of the Section####.xhtml files, wherever you want a linked heading,
Surround the text with heading tags (<h#> , where #= heading type 1-6)
e.g.
In Section0001.xhtml, surround 'Foreword' with a <h> tag - say you wanted a level 2 heading

<h2>Foreword</h2>

Repeat in other files as needed
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
BMaloney
Connoisseur
BMaloney doesn't litterBMaloney doesn't litter

Device: PRS-650
Perkin, I don't even know you, but I LOVE YOU!!!!

I have been at the seemingly impossible task of introducing basic TOC metadata into an ePub for well over a week now. I've pulled out lots of hair, but no TOC.

Then the magic words: "switch to code view." It might be that I'm a bit slow, but it never dawned on me that the h-tags need to be typed in code view. This is also partly because you can type "normal" text in either view and it doesn't matter. I had <h2> and </h2> characters everywhere but in the right place!

Anyway, thanks a million Perkin for taking the time to write it out so clearly for people like me!
BMaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
Perkin
Guru

You're welcome, glad I could help.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
BMaloney
Connoisseur

You sure did. My enthusiastic thank-you was a clear sign of how hard I was working at finding a solution! Now these long documents no longer pose any serious challenges. On the contrary, they cry out with possibility. It makes me a bit giddy, thinking about how I could be my own publisher, controlling every aspect of the e-book!

Sigil's really great, actually. It's not only powerful but almost educational: you learn about how the files and programs are structured by using it.

And when you are so nice explaining how it works, it's even great for karma!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
leo315
leo315 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I might be helpful to think a little outside the box. Which I just learned to appreciate:

A tutorial to rename the .epub to .zip and extract all content html and jpeg from a epub, with the possibility to split, rearrange, edit the ebook content.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19268...e-html-editor/
leo315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo315 View Post
A tutorial to rename the .epub to .zip and extract all content html and jpeg from a epub, with the possibility to split, rearrange, edit the ebook content.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19268...e-html-editor/
And that tutorial is terrible. You can't just zip up the contents of an epub and expect it to become a valid epub file. It's more complicated than that. The "mimetype" file needs to be the first file in the zip archive, and it needs to be stored uncompressed.

Luckily, Sigil can open those "epub files" created by simply zipping up a folder, and saving them again stores the mimetype correctly.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
BMaloney
Connoisseur

I trust the karma!