Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Nominations for May * Guilty Pleasures, Between the Covers

Welcome to the New Leaf Book Club's May Book Nomination thread where we select the book that the New Leaf Book Club will read in May, 2020. The theme is Guilty Pleasures, Between the Covers.

Everyone is welcome to join the nomination process even if they'd rather lurk during the voting and discussion; if that is still a little too much commitment, please feel free to suggest titles without making a formal nomination. Also, don't sweat the links. It's helpful to check availability and prices before nominating in order to eliminate anything that's out of the question, but ultimately our global members with different gadgets and preferences will have to check for themselves.

The nominations will run through 9 AM PDT, April 7, 2020. Each nomination requires a second to make it to the poll, which will remain open for three days. The discussion of the selection will start on May 15, 2020.

Any questions? See the FAQ below, or just ask!

FAQs for the Nomination, Selection and Discussion process

General Guidelines for the New Leaf Book Club

Official choices with two nominations:
* Mike and Psmith, written by P.G. Wodehouse (CRussel,fantasyfan)
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodreads
An early Wodehouse novel, this is both a sporting story and a tale of friendship between two boys at boarding school. Mike (introduced in Mike at Wrykyn) is a seriously good cricketer who forms an unlikely alliance with old Etonian Psmith ('the P is silent') after they both find themselves fish out of water at a new school, Sedleigh. Full of entertainment, the plot reaches a satisfying conclusion as the pair eventually overcome the hostility of others and their own prejudices to become stars. Even readers uninterested in cricket are likely to be gripped by descriptions of matches, but the real meat of the book is to be found in the characters, especially the elegant Psmith, one of Wodehouse's immortal creations, who features in three of his later novels.
Project Gutenberg AmazonUS AmazonCA AmazonAU AmazonUK
100 pp.

* Dragonwyck , written by Anya Seton (Catlady, fantasyfan)
Spoiler:
Quote:
A novel of seduction, mystery, and danger set in New York’s Hudson Valley in the nineteenth century, by the author of Foxfire.

There was, on the Hudson, a way of life such as this, and there was a house not unlike Dragonwyck . . .

In the spring of 1844, the Wells family receives a letter from a distant relative, the wealthy landowner Nicholas Van Ryn. He has invited one of their daughters for an extended visit at his Hudson Valley estate, Dragonwyck. Eighteen-year-old Miranda, bored with her local suitors and commonplace life on the farm, leaps at the chance for an escape. She immediately falls under the spell of both the master and his mansion, mesmerized by the Gothic towers, flowering gardens, and luxurious lifestyle—but unaware of the dark, terrible secrets that await.

Anya Seton masterfully tells the heart-stopping story of a remarkable woman, her remarkable passions, and the mystery that resides in the magnificent hallways of Dragonwyck.
Amazon U.S. Also Overdrive, Hoopla, etc.
419 pp.

* The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. (JSWolf, fantasyfan)
Spoiler:
Quote:
When Mole rebels and abandons the spring cleaning of his burrow, he little knows what the future holds. He soon meets the steady and practical Water Rat, then the impulsive and boastful Mr. Toad, and wise old Badger. Many new adventures await, from travels on the open road, to getting lost in a snowstorm in the Wild Wood, to simply “messing about in boats.” Along the way, Toad lands in jail for stealing a motorcar, and the four friends must do battle to reclaim Toad Hall from the invading weasels and stoats.

This book is a testament to the enduring bond of friendship and the charm in homely pleasures, and can be enjoyed by the young and the young-at-heart. (Recommended for ages 9 to 90.)
PCML ePub PCML KF8
157 pp.

* Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend (gmw,CRussel)
Spoiler:
Quote:
A cursed girl escapes death and finds herself in a magical world - but is then tested beyond her wildest imagination

Morrigan Crow is cursed. Having been born on Eventide, the unluckiest day for any child to be born, she's blamed for all local misfortunes, from hailstorms to heart attacks--and, worst of all, the curse means that Morrigan is doomed to die at midnight on her eleventh birthday.

But as Morrigan awaits her fate, a strange and remarkable man named Jupiter North appears. Chased by black-smoke hounds and shadowy hunters on horseback, he whisks her away into the safety of a secret, magical city called Nevermoor.

It's then that Morrigan discovers Jupiter has chosen her to contend for a place in the city's most prestigious organization: the Wundrous Society. In order to join, she must compete in four difficult and dangerous trials against hundreds of other children, each boasting an extraordinary talent that sets them apart - an extraordinary talent that Morrigan insists she does not have. To stay in the safety of Nevermoor for good, Morrigan will need to find a way to pass the tests - or she'll have to leave the city to confront her deadly fate.
Kobo US Kobo CA Kobo AU
513 pp.

* The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer. (Bookworm_Girl,CRussel)
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonUS
One of Heyer's funniest Regency romances, and one of readers' favorites.

An impetuous young lady and a fugitive nobleman?
When spirited Eustacie stumbles into a band of smugglers, she is delighted to be having an adventure at last. Their leader, young heir Ludovic Lavenham, is in hiding, falsely accused of murder. Pursued by the law, Eustacie and Ludovic find refuge at an unassuming country inn.

And the delightfully sensible couple who try to keep them out of trouble...
The resourceful Miss Sarah Thane and the clear-thinking Sir Tristram Shield gamely endeavor to prevent Ludovic's arrest and Eustacie's ruin as the four conspire to recover the missing talisman ring that will clear Ludovic's name.
AmazonUS AmazonCA AmazonAU AudibleUS
322 pp.

* The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie. (gmw,JSWolf)
Spoiler:
Quote:
Newly-orphaned Anne Beddingfeld is a nice English girl looking for a bit of adventure in London. But she stumbles upon more than she bargained for! Anne is on the platform at Hyde Park Corner tube station when a man falls onto the live track, dying instantly. A doctor examines the man, pronounces him dead, and leaves, dropping a note on his way. Anne picks up the note, which reads "17.1 22 Kilmorden Castle". The next day the newspapers report that a beautiful ballet dancer has been found dead there-- brutally strangled. A fabulous fortune in diamonds has vanished. And now, aboard the luxury liner Kilmorden Castle, mysterious strangers pillage her cabin and try to strangle her. What are they looking for? Why should they want her dead? Lovely Anne is the last person on earth suited to solve this mystery... and the only one who can! Anne's journey to unravel the mystery takes her as far afield as Africa and the tension mounts with every step... and Anne finds herself struggling to unmask a faceless killer known only as 'The Colonel'
KoboUS KoboCA KoboUK KoboAU
381 pp.

* Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann (Catlady,gmw)
Spoiler:
Quote:
At a time when women were destined to become housewives, Jacqueline Susann let us dream. Anne, Neely, and Jennifer become best friends as struggling young women in New York City trying to make their mark. Eventually, they climb their way to the top of the entertainment industry only to find that there’s no place left to go but down, into the Valley of the Dolls.
Quote:
Sex and drugs and shlock and more--Jacqueline Susann's addictively entertaining trash classic about three showbiz girls clawing their way to the top and hitting bottom in New York City has it all. Though it's inspired by Susann's experience as a mid-century Broadway starlet who came heartbreakingly close to making it, but did not, and despite its reputation as THE roman á clef of the go-go 1960s, the novel turned out to be weirdly predictive of 1990s post-punk, post-feminist, post "riot grrrl" culture. Jackie Susann may not be a writer for the ages, but--alas!--she's still a writer for our times.
Amazon U.S.
454 pp.

Note1: Well, that was stupid. I forgot to create a blank second post to put the nominations in. So I'll have to put them here until they get a second, at which point I'll move them up to the Red list above. Sorry for the confusion.

Nominations awaiting a second:

* The Legend of Pradeep Mathew (apa: Chinaman), by Shehan Karunatilaka (Uncle Robin)
Spoiler:
Quote:
Some remember his impressive career stats ... others recall his on-field arrogance. Some say he fixed matches . . . others say he was dropped for being Tamil! Who exactly was Pradeep Mathew? And what became of him?

WG Karunasena, a man who spent 64 years drinking arrack and watching cricket decides to find out ...If you have never seen a cricket match; or if you have and it has made you snore ...If you can’t understand why anyone would watch, let alone obsess over this dull game ...... then this IS the book for you.
AmazonUS Kobo US Kobo Canada Kobo Aus Kobo UK
415 pp.

* Exit to Eden by Anne Rice. (JSWolf)
Spoiler:
Quote:
The bold erotic masterpiece by Anne Rice writing as Anne Rampling

They call her the Perfectionist. A stunning, mysterious, and fearless sexual adventurer, Lisa is founder and supreme mistress of The Club—an exclusive island resort where forbidden fantasy meets willing flesh. Here eager participants who can afford life's most exquisite luxuries can experience the breathtaking pleasures of surrender and submission. Here nothing is taboo.

A thrill-seeking photojournalist, Elliott risks his life daily in the most dangerous, war-torn regions on Earth. Now he has come to Paradise to explore his most savage and vulnerable sexual self, committed to the ultimate plunge into personal risk.

Together, their journey to the limits of erotic pleasure will take them farther than they ever dreamed they'd go . . .

(Note2: We're continuing our experiment of only requiring a nomination and a second again this month. However, everyone still gets three tickets to use for nominations or seconds. We'll continue to try this for another month or two, and then we can see what folks think.)

Last edited by CRussel; 04-07-2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Through Post #58
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Now, since I like reading some crime novels that would be a "guilty" pleasure.

But otherwise I'm having trouble thinking of other ways to look at this, since I don't feel much guilt associated with my reading ... except that I should often be working instead of reading. (One of the hazards of working for yourself is that the boss is generally sympathetic to your foibles.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please do not pick expensive eBooks as some may be on a very tight budget. I would say any more then $7.99 is expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Now, since I like reading some crime novels that would be a "guilty" pleasure.

But otherwise I'm having trouble thinking of other ways to look at this, since I don't feel much guilt associated with my reading ... except that I should often be working instead of reading. (One of the hazards of working for yourself is that the boss is generally sympathetic to your foibles.)
The problem as I see it is most books that fall into a guilty pleasure category are romance. I'm not embarrassed by anything I'm currently reading or have in my TBR pile. So how am I to pick something I'd find a guilty pleasure when anything that might fit into that category I probably won't enjoy reading and thus not a pleasure? Oh and the one book I did find that might have fit but too expensive (yes I have it, but others won't).

Since nobody has made any nominations, I'd like to suggest we scrap this topic and pick one where we can find books to nominate.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-01-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guilty pleasure is supposed to suggest something you get pleasure from reading - not something you assume others read for pleasure. After all, you know what they say about assumptions, yes?

The other half, "between the covers", doesn't give me much to work with from my collection.

Perhaps I could pretend some guilt because I'm currently enjoying re-reading my Pratchett collection. After all, if I wasn't re-reading these I might be finding something new and exciting.

Or I could suggest some kids books that I love - and feel guilty about forcing them on everyone else.

Anyway, it's a bit soon to think no one has any books to nominate, the post hasn't even been up 24 hours yet. I'm hoping to gain inspiration from others ... or failing that, probably something a bit childish.
Advert
Old 04-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
The other half, "between the covers", doesn't give me much to work with from my collection.

I did think that Wodehouse's cricket focused works, not being his best, might count as "guilty pleasures" - although the "between the covers" bit would possibly escape many unfamiliar with the game.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I did think that Wodehouse's cricket focused works, not being his best, might count - although the "between the covers" bit would possibly escape many unfamiliar with the game.
Oh, that's a neat thought.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

WHat does everyone think "guilty pleasure" means? To me it means a book that I want to read but I don't want to let others know I'm reading. 50 Shades of Grey is a guilty pleasure for some. If I was reading Twilight I would say that's a guilty pleasure.

Discworld (IMHO) is not a guilty pleasure. I would gladly tell anyone I'm reading it. I cannot think of any books I have read or want to read that is a guilty pleasure.

The other issue is cost. Not only do we have to find a book we feel is a guilty pleasure, we have to keep the cost down.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First rule. If someone thinks a book fits, then it fits. There will be NO discussion of appropriateness. Full stop.

Charlie.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
First rule. If someone thinks a book fits, then it fits. There will be NO discussion of appropriateness. Full stop.

Charlie.
Can we at least agree on the price point given the lockdown and that some may be under financial strain?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)

No. That will work itself out in the voting. If books are too expensive, they won't get votes. And expensive isn't an issue if you can get it from the library.

That being said, I think we're all well aware of financial issues right now, and I wouldn't expect much uptake on a book that was $19.99 at Amazon.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I did think that Wodehouse's cricket focused works, not being his best, might count as "guilty pleasures" - although the "between the covers" bit would possibly escape many unfamiliar with the game.
Quote:
Oh, that's a neat thought.
I agree, a wonderful take on it. I would gladly accept a suggestion on a cricket book!

ETA: This is The Guardian's Top Ten List of cricket books

Last edited by CRussel; 04-01-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
All I know about cricket is that it looks like some unholy cross between baseball and bowling where the pitchers appear to attend classes at the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Oh yes, and that humanity is "inadvertently guilty of the most grotesquely bad taste."

If anyone has a good one to suggest, I'm game for trying it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
No. That will work itself out in the voting. If books are too expensive, they won't get votes. And expensive isn't an issue if you can get it from the library.

That being said, I think we're all well aware of financial issues right now, and I wouldn't expect much uptake on a book that was $19.99 at Amazon.
Given the rule of if you vote, you have to participate won't work if the winning book is too expensive for some who did vote in hopes of an affordable book winning. This is why I think a limit on the cost should be put in place while we are in lockdown.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
All I know about cricket is that it looks like some unholy cross between baseball and bowling where the pitchers appear to attend classes at the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Oh yes, and that humanity is "inadvertently guilty of the most grotesquely bad taste."

If anyone has a good one to suggest, I'm game for trying it.