Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Need_new_reader
Need_new_reader began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-Book-Reader with good display

Hi

I´m searching for a new E-book-Reader since my PRS-505 has a display defect. I still have warranty so there are two possibilities:

1. Sony will give me another model.(The PRS-505 isn´t produced anymore)

2. I will get money back.

In case Sony will give me another model I want to know from you which one you can recommend to me.

In case that I will get money back, I need to buy a new one.

Now I´m thinking about which one to buy.

The most important thing is to me that it has a good display.

It should have an internal memory for at least 50 Books. (Since most E-books I have are <1MB I think 50 MB would be perfectly fine.)

Battery should be enough for at least 1 day, more would be nice of course.(I think all Ebookreaders fulfill this requirement)

Power adaptor would be nice, but charging over USB is fine, too.

Extra features like comments are not needed but would be nice. WLAN isn´t needed, too.

Here´s a preselection I did:

Code:
Pocketbook 301/302
PRS 505 again
PRS 600
Amazon Kindle
DigiBook ADB-106
Which of those would you recommend to me? Or would you recommend one that is not in my list?

Last edited by Need_new_reader; 06-10-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Need_new_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
DigiBook ADB-106- i have yet to see a very good firmware or reports of a very good firmware for this device.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Need_new_reader

What exactly is good about the firmware? Is it more stable than others? Or does it have a better design so that you can navigate quicker? Does it have more reading options like for example font resizing?

What about the display? Does it seam 'naturally' like paper? Is it good readable?

Does the device lie comfortably in the hand like for example the PRS-505 does(IMHO)?

Would anyone recommend another reader or would all of you recommend this one to me?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I think Dulin's Books means that the firmware available for the DigiBook is not too good.

I admit I'm very happy with the display quality of my Pocketbook 360, and being it that you seek a simple reader, with a long battery and which reads every relevant ebook format, i would recommend it heartily.

You can scratch Pocketbook 302 and Sony PRS-600 from your list though, since they're reportedly reflective.

Last edited by Logseman; 06-11-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_new_reader View Post
Hi

I´m searching for a new E-book-Reader since my PRS-505 has a display defect. I still have warranty so there are two possibilities:

1. Sony will give me another model.(The PRS-505 isn´t produced anymore)

2. I will get money back.

In case Sony will give me another model I want to know from you which one you can recommend to me.

In case that I will get money back, I need to buy a new one.

Now I´m thinking about which one to buy.

The most important thing is to me that it has a good display.

It should have an internal memory for at least 50 Books. (Since most E-books I have are <1MB I think 50 MB would be perfectly fine.)

Battery should be enough for at least 1 day, more would be nice of course.(I think all Ebookreaders fulfill this requirement)

Power adaptor would be nice, but charging over USB is fine, too.

Extra features like comments are not needed but would be nice. WLAN isn´t needed, too.

Here´s a preselection I did:

Code:
Pocketbook 301/302
PRS 505 again
PRS 600
Amazon Kindle
DigiBook ADB-106
Which of those would you recommend to me? Or would you recommend one that is not in my list?

out of the ones you have mentioned I would do the PRS 505

For another option I would add the Nook to your list. It's screen contrast is excellent,

It has the E-ink display and second LCD color touchscreen below it. It displays book cover art, finger swiping navigation etc. It's actually alot of fun to use. Very similar to a smart phone type of navigation.

battery life is good with wi fi and 3g turned off, should get about 7 to 8 days. With the wi fi and 3G on and doing a lot of playing around about 3 to 4 days.
Internal memory is 2G and also has a MicroSd slot for expanded memory.
You can dowload books wirelessly for free
Barnes and Noble bookstore
InStore features and Free Fridays

so it's a nice solid choice as well.

good luck

Last edited by boswd; 06-11-2010 at 07:02 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
You can scratch Pocketbook 302 and Sony PRS-600 from your list though, since they're reportedly reflective.
PocketBook 302 comes now with a matte protective cover that solves the problem with the reflectivity.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
NNR, I would recommend that you consider a device with a TFT screen. I prefer the TFT screen of my jetBook Lite to the eInk screen of my Astak EZReader. I find that the text of the JBL is blacker.

Other TFT devices are the jetBook and the Aluratek Libre.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Need_new_reader

Well, the reason why I have an Ebookreader is the eInk screen, so TFT is not an alternative for me.

BTW: I was fully satisfied with the screen of the sony reader.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_new_reader View Post
Well, the reason why I have an Ebookreader is the eInk screen, so TFT is not an alternative for me.

BTW: I was fully satisfied with the screen of the sony reader.
Out of curiosity, what about TFT LCD disqualifies it as an alternative? Battery life?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Need_new_reader

@LDBoblo: If you read several hours, TFT is uncomfortable for the eyes IMHO. (If I wanted to read on TFT i would use my PC, so I wouldn´t need an Ebookreader.)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
@NNR - The jetbooks and Libre use a reflective TFT screen. There is no backlight, and no glare. If you can, you should take a look at it before you cross it off. The Libre has quite a wide format support, and the battery life is decent.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I've been on a reading marathon today; and I read probably 2 or 3 hours without a break on my Sony Reader. Anyway, my eyes were getting tired so I enlarged the font and read on. Then my eyes got REALLY tired so I put down the Sony and continued reading on my Jetbook to rest them. Yep, I know that the TFT is supposed to be uncomfortable, but for me, the darkness and crispness of the display more than make up for the fact that it's not an e-ink display.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote