Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
WHAT did I do???

Is there anyone awake to help?

Suddenly, most of the books in my 'ebooks' folder have turned to .mbp format, of course, rendering them useless. I have no clue how I managed to do this.
Where there was once a nice little blue computer screen with a globe in front, is now

Cancel that, , now they are in Adobe format. Apparently I tried to change the "open with" and left the "do all programs this way" box checked. Now I can't do anything....some have any clue what i did? And how I get my books back? I"m running Vista.....

The Mobipocket Reader books are all okay.

the books in my 'library' folder, (from the library) are okay.

What can I do to get them back to .prc/mobi format?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The ebook files are fine. All that has happened is that Windows now thinks that all files with that extension are now to be opened with Adobe Acrobat (or other PDF rendering program depending upon what you have on your system.) That is all that has changed.

OK, the easiest way is to upgrade to Windows XP from Vista.

Now to fix the problem in Vista. Open Windows Explorer and right click on one of the files. Select "Open With ..." and you will a possible list of programs and at the bottom of the list is "Choose Program ..." Select this option. You will see the same box that you saw before. This time, make sure that the Always use box is checked and then select the right program to open the (read) the files.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, RW. I did that, (I'm running firefox so did it a little differently) and they are all back to normal.....except for one little thing.

Every book is ALSO listed as an "mbp" file, 1 KB each. These all take up the first half of the page is the books in the proper format.

Do you have any idea why suddenly, (this hasn't happened before) I"m getting these "mbp" files?

Can I delete them without losing anything?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The MPB files are your bookmarks, annotations, etc for Mobipocket ebooks (Kindle, too). You could delete them, or you could right click in that folder and select sort by file type. This should reverse the current sort, and put those files after the ebooks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

HA! HA! I SAY!!

The reason I was getting all those "MBP" files, was that I had the "show hidden files" option checked. I was deleting unwanted files from the Kindle earlier, and I used that option to get at files. Forgot to uncheck it.

So when I unchecked under my "ebooks" folder, they immediately disappeared.

Now I can stop throwing up....................
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot stand to have hidden files I cannot see and file extensions hidden as well. Also I want system files shown as well. It;s my system and I don't want stuff hidden from me.

Plus seeing it all makes using the computer easier.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot stand to have hidden files I cannot see and file extensions hidden as well. Also I want system files shown as well. It;s my system and I don't want stuff hidden from me.
True, but hidden stuff is nice too. The problem is in Windows GUI that it is all or nothing based on some config that is hidden in some options dialog behind some menu.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
When I've opened Mobipocket files with either my Cybook or EZ Reader, it creates a .mbp with the same name as the .prc file. I assumed that was just something that Mobipocket did.

Last edited by slayda; 02-05-2009 at 05:17 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
When I've opened Mobipocket files with either my Cybook or EZ Reader, it creates a https://wiki.mobileread.com .mbp with the same name as the .prc file. I assumed that was just something that Mobipocket did.
Yes, all Mobi versions do it. Not all of them use all of the metadata contained therein, though.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote