Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #16
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Sure. It will probably work, and then you have comments on the tablet as well.
Yes, success!

It was strange to me the different ways I had to agree to use apps from outside sources from the two different Android versions. It was much simpler on the phone and I didn't have to click on your email link twice like I did when I installed it on my tablet.

Anyway, both are displaying correctly now. And I double checked my older tablet and it is still working as well.

Thanks so much!
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If anyone else wants to try the "fixed" version, it can be via this link to the files on my personal server. Open the link on your device and select the file you want (probably the full version). The first time you do this you will be asked to allow installation from unknown sources.

The full version contains the same licence checks as the one on google play and behaves in the same way when doing the checks. To avoid problems with the checks you must have purchased CC from the play store.

V5.4.4.1 Change log:
  • Fixed rare problem where choosing a storage folder fails to do anything.
  • Fix for comments missing in book details.

EDIT: I am releasing the update this way because the Play Store won't let me. CC hasn't been updated to follow the new rules so updates are blocked.

Last edited by chaley; 02-10-2019 at 06:26 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am releasing the update this way because the Play Store won't let me. CC hasn't been updated to follow the new rules so updates are blocked.
More detail: following the "new rules" I am referring to will require CC to hand copies of books to reader apps instead of the original file on devices running Android Nougat (7), Oreo (8), Pie (9) and up. I am not able to do this work at the moment because most of my "stuff" is in storage until our flat construction is finished. I also am not at all convinced that forcing copies is a good idea, but in the end I might not have a choice.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, installed (curious, in my case, I don't accept apps from unknown sources but from this source) and it's working. I'll try to test it in my tablet tomorrow night.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
More detail: following the "new rules" I am referring to will require CC to hand copies of books to reader apps instead of the original file on devices running Android Nougat (7), Oreo (8), Pie (9) and up. I am not able to do this work at the moment because most of my "stuff" is in storage until our flat construction is finished. I also am not at all convinced that forcing copies is a good idea, but in the end I might not have a choice.
could get messy...

so CC has my books in its download folder , when I ask to read one , it makes a copy of the file and somehow hands that to say Moon reader... which does what exactly? i suspect nothing - it just displays the current page for reading, but does not file that copy anyplace different... so its just more data traffic within the tablet. and if moon reader is operating on that copy in RAM or in some temp storage, I forsee problems when tablet sleeps or is restarted.
also while all that is maybe ok for a typical book, what if I want to read some humongous tome, that is way bigger than my free ram. How does the copy then get from a to b ??? and is it now occupying 2 x the storage ?
so you may need to test with the collected works of W Shakespeare, or whatever the biggest public domain book you can find happens to be ?

i will be tempted to act on a tipoff from yourself and block auto updates just before you are obliged to push such an update into the store
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #21
akailiajade
akailiajade began at the beginning.

Device: Acer Iconia One 8 Tablet
Thumbs up Thanks for All Your Suggestions!

I just received an email, notifying me of all these comments on the thread. I'm a bit tied up at the moment. At the first opportunity, I will read throught this thread & try these suggestions & see what happens.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. Have a terrific day!!
akailiajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thanks Charles, I snagged a copy 'just in case'. I have no need for the' latest and greatest' Android version.
I think I will set CC updates to NOT auto update (I already do that for apps I do not use but can't remove. I am not rooted or anything)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #23
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
so CC has my books in its download folder , when I ask to read one , it makes a copy of the file and somehow hands that to say Moon reader... which does what exactly?
The mechanism is the same as used for streaming online content. The "source" app, in this case CC, gives the "sink" app, in this case the reader, a "handle" to the data. The handle permits the sink to get the data serially from the source, copying it over a potentially internal network. If there is no possibility of moving backwards in the data or requiring access some time later then the sink can process the data stream without making a copy. If the sink must support replay, repositioning, or device restart then it must copy the data to a file it controls before permitting the user to access the data.

It would be very easy for the sink to end up with multiple copies of the same thing.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It would be very easy for the sink to end up with multiple copies of the same thing.
that is the worrying bit. If I were using the route of always going via CC to resume reading a book, then by the time I had resumed 10 times , there could be 10 copies floating around.
as it happens , i don't do that, i resume via the recent items in Moon reader, but other CC users may well always go in via CC to resume in their reader of choice

i guesstall you can do is follow Google play rules, and test+document the knock on effects for your users.

you have a version in amazon store also, amazon have no plans to enforce this silliness, yet ?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
The mechanism is the same as used for streaming online content. The "source" app, in this case CC, gives the "sink" app, in this case the reader, a "handle" to the data. The handle permits the sink to get the data serially from the source, copying it over a potentially internal network. If there is no possibility of moving backwards in the data or requiring access some time later then the sink can process the data stream without making a copy. If the sink must support replay, repositioning, or device restart then it must copy the data to a file it controls before permitting the user to access the data.

Ugh, of all the things to copy from iOS, why did Android copy the inane file handling?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #26
stumped
Wizard

i get the rationale about security, file integrity- file has to belong to an app...
it is just that this one size fits all approach is not suited to the scenario of a book library app working with book reader apps.
thow in the case of the reader app needing to consult with a dictionary app, regularly and it gets even worse !
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i get the rationale about security, file integrity- file has to belong to an app...
it is just that this one size fits all approach is not suited to the scenario of a book library app working with book reader apps.
thow in the case of the reader app needing to consult with a dictionary app, regularly and it gets even worse !
It's actually even worse for multi-mega or gigabyte media files.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #28
akailiajade
akailiajade began at the beginning.

Device: Acer Iconia One 8 Tablet
Talking Problem Solved!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ienosos View Post
This happened to me day before yesterday. I unchecked the "formatting in comments" option in the book details settings and got them back. That might work for you?

Now the comments only appear when that setting is unchecked. Not when it is checked. I don't know why. And I'm not sure what triggered it.

I posted about it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3805752
This worked! Just changed this setting as you suggested & BAZINGA! There's my comments back like they never left. Thanks so much!
akailiajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #29
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Worked for me, too!

Unchecked the "formatting in comments" option in the book details settings and got them back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akailiajade View Post
This worked! Just changed this setting as you suggested & BAZINGA! There's my comments back like they never left. Thanks so much!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #30
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@akailiajade & @peaceridge: The CC update available here fixes the problem without requiring you to turn off HTML formatting in the comments.

Tags
missing information