Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #46
Dankas
Dankas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyag/Paperwhite
Epub check is ok, i can do azw3 but calibre won't send it to kindle address, or?
Dankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #47
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankas View Post
Epub check is ok, i can do azw3 but calibre won't send it to kindle address, or?
You can transfer .azw3 files with Calibre via USB to your Kindle.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #48
Dankas
Dankas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyag/Paperwhite
Paperwhite & footnote pop-ups

Phew, so old scool

What about via email?

Last edited by Dankas; 08-21-2015 at 02:31 AM.
Dankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, not by email. You can send Mobi7 or "dual Mobi" files by email, but pure KF8 files can only be transferred via USB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #50
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ah, that explains why there's no Send to Kindle option when I right-click on an AZW3 file!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #51
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad 1/2/Air, K3/PW2/Fire1, Kobo Touch, Samsung Tab, Nook Color/Touch
(I know the thread has drifted, but I'm resurrecting an earlier line of thought.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I wasn't able to reproduce this behavior. I modified my test file so that the first footnote points to an aside footnote definition in a different xhtml file and it still worked.
The two rearnotes still don't work, but this was to be expected since the iBooks Asset Guide doesn't mention rearnotes.
Odd. I went and tested this on an iPad 1 and a Retina iPad (so two different versions of iBooks) and couldn't get it to work. I tap the hyperlink, the black aura appears around the word, it hangs for a couple of seconds, then just goes away. I wonder if my book is simply so massive that iBooks takes too long to "summon" the text and the action gets killed halfway through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I would point out that MOST ebook developers/formatters put a backlink in the footnote, in the superscripted note number, to return to the body text. About 50% of the readers (devices) out there don't have automatic "back" buttons, which is why you put the backlink in.
You'd think they would just have a back button...

I know Nook doesn't, and Kobo, anyone else?
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #52
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
Odd. I went and tested this on an iPad 1 and a Retina iPad (so two different versions of iBooks) and couldn't get it to work.
I tested my modified test file only with iBooks 3.2 and the first aside footnote, [1], which is defined in a separate .xhtml file worked (the two rearnotes didn't).

What iBooks versions did you install on the iPad 1 and Retina iPad?

Quote:
I wonder if my book is simply so massive that iBooks takes too long to "summon" the text and the action gets killed halfway through.
Why don't you retest this issue with my test file? If it works, your footnote .xhtml file or the aside definitions might simply be too large.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #53
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
(I know the thread has drifted, but I'm resurrecting an earlier line of thought.)

Odd. I went and tested this on an iPad 1 and a Retina iPad (so two different versions of iBooks) and couldn't get it to work. I tap the hyperlink, the black aura appears around the word, it hangs for a couple of seconds, then just goes away. I wonder if my book is simply so massive that iBooks takes too long to "summon" the text and the action gets killed halfway through.

You'd think they would just have a back button...

I know Nook doesn't, and Kobo, anyone else?
Some of the Droid-based smartphone readers don't. Um..Early Sonys? I believe? The issue, for me as a commercial bookmaker is that once you say "Nook and Kobo," that's a good 50%+, maybe 80% (for many clients, 100% of their distro) of my ePUB distribution, so...I'm stuck. The Kindle, Kindle2, early K3's (that's an IIRC, mind you) didn't have "back" buttons that worked, I don't believe. I have a K2, but honestly, right this second, the battery is drained and I can't confirm my recollection. (Pretty sure, tho).

So...by the time you have millions (ye gods) of early Kindle devices, add in what, hundreds of thousands of Nooks, and some tens of or hundreds of thousands of Kobos...no choice for the wicked. ;-)

Not to mention, there are SO many other things that use two-way links...{shrug}. It's nutty to rely on the kindness of strange devices. :-D

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some of the Droid-based smartphone readers don't. Um..Early Sonys? I believe? The issue, for me as a commercial bookmaker is that once you say "Nook and Kobo," that's a good 50%+, maybe 80% (for many clients, 100% of their distro) of my ePUB distribution, so...I'm stuck. The Kindle, Kindle2, early K3's (that's an IIRC, mind you) didn't have "back" buttons that worked, I don't believe. I have a K2, but honestly, right this second, the battery is drained and I can't confirm my recollection. (Pretty sure, tho).
Kindles have always had a "back" button. It used to be explicitly recommended in Amazon's Kindle publishing guidelines that Kindle footnotes shouldn't have a back link, because the user could just press the "back" button.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #55
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad 1/2/Air, K3/PW2/Fire1, Kobo Touch, Samsung Tab, Nook Color/Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I tested my modified test file only with iBooks 3.2 and the first aside footnote, [1], which is defined in a separate .xhtml file worked (the two rearnotes didn't).

What iBooks versions did you install on the iPad 1 and Retina iPad?

Why don't you retest this issue with my test file? If it works, your footnote .xhtml file or the aside definitions might simply be too large.
Ah! Sorry that I wasn't clear. Your test file did work fine, no problemo. It was testing my file on iBooks 3.2 and iBooks 3.0 that didn't work. So yes, I suspect that my files are just too massive. Sigh.

Quote:

So...by the time you have millions (ye gods) of early Kindle devices, add in what, hundreds of thousands of Nooks, and some tens of or hundreds of thousands of Kobos...no choice for the wicked. ;-)

Not to mention, there are SO many other things that use two-way links...{shrug}. It's nutty to rely on the kindness of strange devices. :-D

Hitch
Okay, good to know on the Droid readers, thanks! And yeah, obviously just doing a back link is preferable, if possible. Far more compatibility, there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kindles have always had a "back" button. It used to be explicitly recommended in Amazon's Kindle publishing guidelines that Kindle footnotes shouldn't have a back link, because the user could just press the "back" button.
Indeed, I have a K1 now, and I can confirm that it has a back button.

(The K1 is trippy and interesting, btw, with its asymmetrical shape and that little shiny line dancing line on the side. Kinda retro. Makes me think of like, Dr. Who or something, even though I've never seen that show.)
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #56
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Harry:

I'm fairly sure that the "back" button on the K2 didn't work efficiently for that purpose--I have some vague recollection--and yes, I'm reaching, here--from about 5 years ago that there was some problem that we had to deal with about the back button not working for something along these lines, or not correctly. I don't actually recall the Guidelines ever saying anything about not using a link-back, but I only have copies back into 2013 or something like that. To be honest...I don't think I remember the professional Publishing Guidelines ever even discussing footnotes, so obviously I'm senile now. I'll defer to your expertise about that.

FWIW, we've been doing two-way footnotes since the beginning. {shrug}. Always seemed the safest route.

Hitch
Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Totally agree that it's the best way to do it, Hitch. Particularly now that pop-up footnotes don't actually work (ie don't "pop up") without a back link.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #58
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Totally agree that it's the best way to do it, Hitch. Particularly now that pop-up footnotes don't actually work (ie don't "pop up") without a back link.
Yes, that bit with the un-Pop-ups is just creepifying, to borrow shamelessly from Firefly. ;-)

Hitch
Old 03-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #59
dxcore35
dxcore35 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
BODY (file1: file.xhtml)

Code:
<div class="v">TEXT 1.... <a id="ft1" href="footnotes.xhtml#fn1"><sup class="reference">1</sup></a></div>
<div class="v">TEXT 2.... <a id="ft1" href="footnotes.xhtml#fn2"><sup class="reference">2</sup></a></div>
<div class="v">TEXT 2.... <a id="ft1" href="footnotes.xhtml#fn3"><sup class="reference">3</sup></a></div>
FOOTNOTES (file2: footnotes.xhtml)

Code:
<section epub:type="endnotes" role="doc-endnotes"> 

<h1>FOOTNOTES</h1>

<p epub:type="footnote" id="fn1"><a href="file.xhtml#ft1">1 </a>DESCRIPTION 1</p>
	<p epub:type="footnote" id="fn2"><a href="file.xhtml#ft2">2 </a>DESCRIPTION 2</p>
	<p epub:type="footnote" id="fn3"><a href="file.xhtml#ft3">3 </a>DESCRIPTION 3</p>

</section>
CSS

Code:
.footnote {
            display:block;
 	    text-indent:0.00em;
 	    margin-top: 0em;
	    padding-left: 25px;
	    text-indent: -25px;
	    text-align: left;
}
RESULT
  • Footnote refer there and also back
  • On Amazon kindle it appears as popup with just one entry
  • References are all in one page / list
dxcore35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #60
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxcore35 View Post
BODY (file1: file.xhtml)

Code:
<div class="v">TEXT 1.... <a id="ft1" href="footnotes.xhtml#fn1"><sup class="reference">1</sup></a></div>
<div class="v">TEXT 2.... <a id="ft1" href="footnotes.xhtml#fn2"><sup class="reference">2</sup></a></div>
<div class="v">TEXT 2.... <a id="ft1" href="footnotes.xhtml#fn3"><sup class="reference">3</sup></a></div>
FOOTNOTES (file2: footnotes.xhtml)

Code:
<section epub:type="endnotes" role="doc-endnotes"> 

<h1>FOOTNOTES</h1>

<p epub:type="footnote" id="fn1"><a href="file.xhtml#ft1">1 </a>DESCRIPTION 1</p>
	<p epub:type="footnote" id="fn2"><a href="file.xhtml#ft2">2 </a>DESCRIPTION 2</p>
	<p epub:type="footnote" id="fn3"><a href="file.xhtml#ft3">3 </a>DESCRIPTION 3</p>

</section>
CSS

Code:
.footnote {
            display:block;
 	    text-indent:0.00em;
 	    margin-top: 0em;
	    padding-left: 25px;
	    text-indent: -25px;
	    text-align: left;
}
RESULT
  • Footnote refer there and also back
  • On Amazon kindle it appears as popup with just one entry
  • References are all in one page / list
Do you realize that you're replying to a FIVE year old thread?

And by not using "aside," you're ensuring that those footnotes won't work on older Kindles (although I'm not sure that even using that makes ePUB:type work on K2s, DXes, etc.)

Hitch