Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #691
inmee
Banned
inmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blueinmee can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: T68 Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
Can someone please tell me what exactly the difference is between T86ML and T68 mentioned on this website?
Using Google Translate, it seems to indicate it is risky / dangerous to use the wrong one...
T68ML has 1GB RAM and 8GB flash.
inmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #692
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmee View Post
T68ML has 1GB RAM and 8GB flash.
This sounds like the T68Plus, mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

I have also seen T68ML mentioned in quite old posts. Perhaps they are now re-using the T68ML name for the "T68Plus"?

The reason why I'm asking is that I am very puzzled by the fact that on the back of the box mine came in, it says "T68ML", but in the settings (on the device) it says only "T68". Mine does not report 8GB nor 1GB of RAM. Perhaps mine was shipped in a wrongly labled box?
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 AM   #693
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 & M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
This sounds like the T68Plus, mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

I have also seen T68ML mentioned in quite old posts. Perhaps they are now re-using the T68ML name for the "T68Plus"?

The reason why I'm asking is that I am very puzzled by the fact that on the back of the box mine came in, it says "T68ML", but in the settings (on the device) it says only "T68". Mine does not report 8GB nor 1GB of RAM. Perhaps mine was shipped in a wrongly labled box?
Maybe what I'm going to say sounds ridiculous, but any onyx reader is too expensive if you compare with really good Chinese Windows 10 tablets (Linxtablets, Odys, Voyo, Pipo, Teclast, etc...). So, why don't we use those Windows 10 tablets as an ereader? Actually the Chinese IPS screen are less harmful for eyes strain than years before, I'm currently using a LinxTablet as an ereader and my eyes are good after spending hours reading on it (I use also a special Indo lenses to reduce bad harms of blue light and infrared light).

Best.
kuskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #694
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuskro View Post
Maybe what I'm going to say sounds ridiculous, but any onyx reader is too expensive if you compare with really good Chinese Windows 10 tablets (Linxtablets, Odys, Voyo, Pipo, Teclast, etc...). So, why don't we use those Windows 10 tablets as an ereader? Actually the Chinese IPS screen are less harmful for eyes strain than years before, I'm currently using a LinxTablet as an ereader and my eyes are good after spending hours reading on it (I use also a special Indo lenses to reduce bad harms of blue light and infrared light).

Best.
Simple reason. Battery. You try to read on a nice sunny day, for a whole day on your tablet. Outside.

I read a lot on my Windows 8.1 tablet (don't like Windows 10 at all, but that's another story). But I still wanted that Onyx tablet. First, not every android app is available as windows application. Second, the e-ink screen (and thus battery life).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #695
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Simple reason. Battery. You try to read on a nice sunny day, for a whole day on your tablet. Outside.

I read a lot on my Windows 8.1 tablet (don't like Windows 10 at all, but that's another story). But I still wanted that Onyx tablet. First, not every android app is available as windows application. Second, the e-ink screen (and thus battery life).
An antiglare filter let me read outdoors and an inexpensive 2.4mA powerbank charges my tablet while I don't use it. So, what's the point of spending 300 bucks on a bad quality piece of plastic? . To be honest I regretted for purchasing my T68 and my M96, I used my knowledge to make them work better but both are useless expensive plastic bricks if you need them for professional reasons.

Last edited by kuskro; 09-28-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Advert
Old 09-29-2015, 01:58 AM   #696
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
An antiglare filter let me read outdoors and an inexpensive 2.4mA powerbank charges my tablet while I don't use it. So, what's the point of spending 300 bucks on a bad quality piece of plastic? . To be honest I regretted for purchasing my T68 and my M96, I used my knowledge to make them work better but both are useless expensive plastic bricks if you need them for professional reasons.
I also have an anti-glare filter on my tablet. But it will still require me to turn up my brightness to about 3/4th of the slider. Which will drain my battery within half a day of reading. And I'll do a lot more than that during a summer holiday! Especially when camping. And without power to charge even that powerbank, that'll be useless after a day as well.

People have different needs and different expectations. My need is for an android device which I can use when I don't have a lot of charging options around, and that is perfectly usable in bright daylight. When I bought my T68, I never expected it to work as flawlessly as my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

I only wished I had known about that 1Gb version (the plus version) before I bought mine.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #697
kuskro
Connoisseur

Quote:
I also have an anti-glare filter on my tablet. But it will still require me to turn up my brightness to about 3/4th of the slider. Which will drain my battery within half a day of reading. And I'll do a lot more than that during a summer holiday! Especially when camping. And without power to charge even that powerbank, that'll be useless after a day as well.

People have different needs and different expectations. My need is for an android device which I can use when I don't have a lot of charging options around, and that is perfectly usable in bright daylight. When I bought my T68, I never expected it to work as flawlessly as my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

I only wished I had known about that 1Gb version (the plus version) before I bought mine.
Now, I understand your expectations about onyx ereaders. Anyway don't expect too much about the plus version, they don't have a workable EGL or OpenGL interface, so many good apps are not going to work. Even with the Onyx's promised Android 4.4.4 many apps are not going to work, I mean the good one are not going to work. That's the reason why is nonsense pay 200 or 300 bucks for something that is not promising at all despite the expectations generated.

Best.

Last edited by kuskro; 09-29-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #698
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now, I understand your expectations about onyx ereaders. Anyway don't expect to much about the plus version, they don't have a workable EGL or OpenGL interface, so many good apps are not going to work. Even with the Onyx's promised Android 4.4.4 many apps are not going to work, I mean the good one are not going to work. That's the reason why is nonsense pay 200 or 300 bucks for something that is not promising at all despite the expectations generated.

Best.

Define "good apps"... People say Windows Phone is unusable because it's missing all apps. I've been using a Windows Phone for over 2 years now and there's only 1 app I sort of miss... (my local newspaper only has android and ios apps). So I use my Samsung for that and my Onyx when I'm camping.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #699
kuskro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Define "good apps"... People say Windows Phone is unusable because it's missing all apps. I've been using a Windows Phone for over 2 years now and there's only 1 app I sort of miss... (my local newspaper only has android and ios apps). So I use my Samsung for that and my Onyx when I'm camping.
For me good apps are those that let you modified a pdf, docx, xlsx, etc... properly. You cannot install any microsoft-android apps or officesuite or a good web browser. Also you cannot install gmail app from google play store because new versions are not compatible at all.

With all due respect, I wonder how people charge their mobiles when they are camping or don't they charge it? could people live without a mobile in campings? Maybe.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #700
johh
johh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I86HD ML Plus , T68
Quote:
For me good apps are those that let you modified a pdf, docx, xlsx, etc... properly. You cannot install any microsoft-android apps or officesuite or a good web browser. Also you cannot install gmail app from google play store because new versions are not compatible at all.
Good email app - try to use maildroid ( for me better app than gmail ). Modify pdf , docx etc - sorry but good laptop is necesseary. Personally also I've nexus 7 but my eyes are too tired for LCD screen. I'm only using this device for multimedia like film and photos.
johh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:03 AM   #701
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

With all due respect, I wonder how people charge their mobiles when they are camping or don't they charge it? could people live without a mobile in campings? Maybe.
What you're talking about is a tablet that can function as an e-reader. What I'm talking about is an e-reader that can function as a tablet. Completely different perspective. Also, I don't even edit pdf's, office documents or even text files on my Galaxy Note... So why would I want to do that on my Onyx? Mail I only check on my PC, Windows tablet and phone (gmail and hotmail), never on my Android (I don't like the gmail app on Android...)

My mobile phone can holds its battery for 2 weeks without problem... I can live perfectly without my smartphone for a few weeks so that one is off unless we're on the road (my smartphone doubles as MP3 player then and will be charged using the car charger)

But we're going completely off-topic here...
Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #702
kreti
Connoisseur
kreti doesn't litterkreti doesn't litter

Device: energy system 1060 / Avant XL / Onyx Boox M96
Hi,

in onyx international page, the public firmware updates for the artatech devices.

http://onyx-international.com/index....pport/firmware

M96Universe: http://onyx-international.com/index....niverse-v1-7-3

T68 Lynx: http://onyx-international.com/index....t68lynx-v1-7-3

Artatech C67 ....
kreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 AM   #703
stroeum
stroeum began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Hi,

Quick question: There has been rumors about an android 4.4 setup for the M96 (I got mine from ereader-store.de). The last firmware 1.7.3 is still 4.0.4. Did I miss something? Is it available yet?

Also, is there a way to know which version I have (Booxtor, Universe, Artatech, something else?)

thanks for your help.
stroeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #704
stroeum
stroeum began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
The error I received when trying to activate the big pen is the following one:
Quote:
The current pcb/digitizer version maybe does not fully support all big pen features. Please try again.

Last edited by stroeum; 10-07-2015 at 06:16 AM.
stroeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #705
bulek
Enthusiast
bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.bulek can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML AG2
The keyword is "rumors". I don't think there will be upgrade available to 4.4 any time soon. Onyx presents newer models from time to time and even in case of some decent hardware they still use 4.0.4. Nothing changes in this area.

If you have got yours from ereader-store.de then you have a stock firmware (if not the latest one then upgradable to 1.7.3) which is exactly the same as Onyx Int has on their web site. M96 Universe is a model branded by Artatech and they have only outdated firmware on their web site and there will be no further update issued by them.
bulek is offline   Reply With Quote