Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
RosiHorrorShow
RosiHorrorShow began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (broken =/), EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Loaned)
Question for kindle owners outside the US

Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I'm considering buying a Kindle 2 or a Kindle DX (if I can find in myself the justification to expend that kind of money, but is so pretty!).

Now I know this question is probably been asked before, but I'm having trouble finding recent information about this. For those of you who own a kindle outside the US: do you have problems to buy books? I've read that some books are supposedly not available in some countries and amazon won't sell them to you. I really want to buy the device, but I don't want to buy it if the service is crippled.

Note: I checked Amazon and the Kindle is definitely available in my country, I can buy it, I just want to make sure I will be able to buy books for it.

Thanks in advanced for your help
RosiHorrorShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Short answer: YES!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Rob612
Rob612 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Not too longer answer - yes, you will be able to buy books. There will be certain titles not available outside of the US for copyright reasons but, at least in my case (italy here) its a very small minority, i would say 2 to 3%, not more than that.
Rob612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I am in Sweden and I can confirm that it is not a problem buying books. Already bought several, but as stated some books are not made available due to copyright issues. In your case I would venture that you would suffer from this less than we do. Maybe someone with publishing connections can weigh in, but I suspect that all major US publishers will hold the rights for publications south of Rio Grande, but not north of the 45 parallel, unless they have a Canadian subsidiary.

You might be able to purchase the books in other formats and convert them though. Perhaps therer ought to be a thread about books we want to get hold of, even if we are living outside the good ole' US of A.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
How about browsing the internet over 3G connection abroad? It is available and free? Being able to check my emails anywhere would be a major argument to buy a Kindle for me. Thanks.
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob612 View Post
Not too longer answer - yes, you will be able to buy books. There will be certain titles not available outside of the US for copyright reasons but, at least in my case (italy here) its a very small minority, i would say 2 to 3%, not more than that.
...and you easily can have 2 or more accounts. I've been buying from the US and the UK bookstore.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
RosiHorrorShow, you know, there's an easy way to find out if the books you want are likely to be available. Just go to the Kindle Books section on the Amazon site, and browse or search for some titles of interest.

If the books are available in your country, you'll see all the details, including the price that you will actually pay. If it's not, the book simply won't appear. (Until recently, if a book was available in the US but not elsewhere, the book's info would still appear, but with a message saying it's not available in your country; now, the book simply doesn't show up on the site, which makes it easier to navigate.)

I suggest you persuse the site in that way before making your decision.

Also, keep in mind that Amazon isn't the only place to buy books for the Kindle. About half of my own Kindle books were obtained elsewhere, with no geographic restrictions.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Of course!
Is this an answer to my question? If so, excellent, thanks!
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
masmullin
masmullin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
mgmueller: how do you have a US account? Is it possible to get an US account w/o a US credit card?
masmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Yes, but you need a US address at least.
You can read more about the trick here
Greets,
Pascal
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
RosiHorrorShow
RosiHorrorShow began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (broken =/), EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Loaned)
Thank you all for the answers, I think I am going to buy the kindle dx and face any difficulties if necessary. I just can't resist the big screen and wikipedia everywhere. But I am glad to hear that the problems aren't as bad as I thought.

@Mike L: Can you tell me some stores you've bought books from?

Greetings,
RosiHorrorShow
RosiHorrorShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosiHorrorShow View Post
Can you tell me some stores you've bought books from?
Sure. To start with, the one you're in. The E-Books section here at Mobile Read has a terrific selection. For the Kindle, you need to download the Mobi version.

Other good sources are FeedBooks, FictionWise, Mobile Reference, and Books on Board. But note that some of these tend to more expensive than Amazon and don't necessarily have a better selection.

You can find the URLs of the above sites at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores or at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle