Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
ExoPC Slate has iPad looks, netbook internals, Windows 7 soul

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/8...rnals-windows/

Quote:
Yes, we realize that it's hard to provide too much visual differentiation between tablet PCs with large, ebony bezels, but we can't help but think that this 8.9-inch multitouch tablet looks a lot like another, recently announced 9.7-inch multitouch tablet. Nevertheless this one's quite different on the inside, delivering "the web without compromise," meaning full browser support with flash courtesy of Windows 7 on an Atom N270 at 1.6GHz, with 2GB of DDR2 memory and a 32GB SSD with SD expansion. Yeah, those specs are familiar too, and while we're not thinking this will deliver the sort of snappy performance seen on the iPad, it will certainly be a lot more functional. Battery life is only four hours, but at least it's user-replaceable, and a price of $599 matches the 32GB iPad. Likewise it will be available in March -- or you can get a non-multitouch prototype for $780 right this very moment. If, that is, you speak enough French to manage the order page.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
This device is much much closer to what I have been waiting for. I sure hope it is thin and light. Very interested in this or something similar.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Weight's OK at ~800g (pound and three quarters) but it's pretty chunky at 21mm thick (a hair under 7/8ths of an inch) - if it's that thick I'm surprised they haven't fitted an optical drive... Still, it has slots, and USB ports, and multi-tasking - should be enough to keep the techies happy, even if it is just a netbook with no keyboard, lol.

4 hrs battery life though - and you know you can pretty much halve that, these manufacturers always lie, right?? Still at least you're secure in the knowledge that you're buying from a huge consumer electronics company with solid reputation for customer support and a chain of international retail stores - no wait, that's the other lot; this is a no-mark French outfit that doesn't even have an English website...

Hey, you pays you money and makes your choice; I have.

Stay happy, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
4 hrs battery life though - and you know you can pretty much halve that, these manufacturers always lie, right??
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm probably not even going to bother looking at Atom-based tablets at all. I'm far more interested in seeing what companies do with SoC solutions like Tegra 2.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Really disappointing battery life.

Really seems a waste for companies to put out a tablet that can't compete with the iPad on the battery and price points.

I guess some want tablets that are more like full PCs--but the Tablet PC market never went anywhere. Seems better to try and go the iPad route of making something that's between a smartphone/PDA and a laptop.

Competitors just need to find ways to 1 up the iPad--build in full handwriting support vs. leaving it to apps, have multitasking, have flash etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Eh. This is a tablet. There will be internet appliances like the iPad which have the same kind of battery life...

petermillard - I don't know, ASUS are good about reporting actual battery life (and their 8 hour battery range laptops really are...)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
If it really is 7/8" thick, that is just too chunky. Looking for something slim and light, but really want Win7.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Eh. This is a tablet. There will be internet appliances like the iPad which have the same kind of battery life...

petermillard - I don't know, ASUS are good about reporting actual battery life (and their 8 hour battery range laptops really are...)
I dont understand your first sentence?

I find recently manafacturers have generally gotton better about quoting realistic battery life I happpily get just over 4 as quoted hours from my Dell Mini 9.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
There's a distinct difference between a tablet PC and an internet appliance.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Competitors just need to find ways to 1 up the iPad--build in full handwriting support vs. leaving it to apps, have multitasking, have flash etc.
Agree
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Windows 7 Pro
Ah, now we're talking No crappy windows starter ! (Not that I'm a windows fan, but some app I would like to run requires windows)

Sound good to me, really. Just what I need. And affordable if the $600 turn into 430 Euros.

Quote:
I guess some want tablets that are more like full PCs--but the Tablet PC market never went anywhere
I can only one affordable tablet PC, the archos 9. Any I missed ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-01-2010 at 02:41 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I dont understand your first sentence?

I find recently manafacturers have generally gotton better about quoting realistic battery life I happpily get just over 4 as quoted hours from my Dell Mini 9.
I've been continually surprised by the battery life of my 13" MacBook Pro. They promised 5 hours and it meets or beats that every time for me. I do more than the average web browsing as well, since I use it exclusively for work and I'm a software engineer. That means I'm continually pushing the CPU for compiling and running virtual machines and so on. I've been quite impressed.

However, the last tablet PC I bought (and returned shortly thereafter for being a broken piece of garbage) had real battery life of less than a quarter of what was promised, and that was after several battery cycles to condition the Li-Ion cells. So it seems that while certain manufacturers are trying to make a point of improving battery life as well as accuracy of battery life claims, others are still freely offering ridiculous overestimations based on making the machine do absolutely nothing useful during testing.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
I've been continually surprised by the battery life of my 13" MacBook Pro. They promised 5 hours and it meets or beats that every time for me. I do more than the average web browsing as well, since I use it exclusively for work and I'm a software engineer. That means I'm continually pushing the CPU for compiling and running virtual machines and so on. I've been quite impressed.
Did you see where Anandtech got 8 hours on his MBP with light browsing and music? http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3580&p=4
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Did you see where Anandtech got 8 hours on his MBP with light browsing and music? http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3580&p=4
No, but I'm not surprised. I usually ignore battery comparisons on sites like anandtech since they never test my own usage patterns. But at least in this case it corroborates my experiences. Though I use the smaller 13" MBP so its battery life should, in theory, be a bit better than the 15" due to a smaller screen, normally I'm happy with a laptop that lasts 50% of its claims doing what I do with it

For a comparison, my previous MBP which was a 15" was a late 2007 model and at its peak it never lasted over 2 hours with my same workload.

So Apple's doing something right with their battery tech they decided to bring in-house. Here's hoping it will be reflected in the iPad and that 10 hours of video claim will be realistic.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote