Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mysterious Companion software

I guess the only reason why I am not shouting at the top of my lungs is that the DR1000S has a fantastic display.
Original contents of my sd card used to contain a dr1000.exe which simply did not work (giving an error saying the parameter is incorrect). Neither executing it from the card nor from disk did the trick.
I've downloaded the sd card content from Irex, and that does not have an .exe in it. I've updated the firmware of the device, and tried to use irexupdate.exe in the card, but it just performs a check and says that all is fine, nothing to worry about, no updates to install...
After buying a device like this, is it too much to ask to be able to use a piece of software that is supposed to come with it? I can do things on my own, but searching forums for hours or trying to figure out how to solve problems is a waste of my time. If a feature or a piece of software does not make it to the release, Irex can at least give proper instructions to users to avoid the loss of time. Not happy about this indeed!
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I would tend to agree, I can't see why it is difficult to just download the companion software. During my trials and tribulations trying to get the merge to work (still doesn't on mine) I deleted it.

To get it back, I downloaded the card restore, ensured the irex companion software exe file was missing. I then deleted the dr1000.ini file & the version file. rebooted & connected to the PC.

The update software then kicked in and downloaded the companion software files.

If you don't at least edit the DR1000.ini file it will assume the DR1000.exe file exisits & won't download it again.

So, edit or delete the DR1000.ini & try again. Long winded I am only too aware, however it's the only way to get it back as far as I can tell. I did express an opinion to irex and so they may well amend things as they go on. I think they are a bit surprised at the level of interest in the DR1000 as far as I ca see.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
There are two files that keep record of the Software version:
x:\System\ you can find a dr1000.ini file
in
x:\System\pc_application there is a version.ini file

Both contain these lines:

[device]
deviceversion=1010

[pc]
pcversion=1000

If you change these to:
[device]
deviceversion=1010

[pc]
pcversion=0000

The UpdateiRex.exe will download the latest Companion software.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot. Not only these tricks are necessary, but also it requires a nice connection, otherwise, weird errors occur.
I finally have the latest firmware and and companion software. Even merge works :P

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Glad it worked at last
If my Merge aver gets fixed I too will be happy. However iRex is struggling as to see why it doesn't work with me.

I've been most impressed with the degree of help and assistance I'm getting from iRex, I get regular updates emails etc and things to try to determine where the problem is. They've even phoned me in the office for additional info/help.

(I think it's driving them up the wall as well a myself). In the meantime all thanks to Ross for the little MAC Merging programme.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Let fix pauli idea. use one 0 instead of 0000

[device]
deviceversion=1010

[pc]
pcversion=0
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
If I open the x:\system\pc_application\versions, it is empty!

Am I missing something?
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote