Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Goodreads!

I recently found Goodreads and I'm really impressed by the site. Being able to import my list from Delicious Library was also a huge help (didn't want to put in almost 600 books by hand!)

However, I'm still not quite sure how to leverage the abilities of the site to be a bit more useful. I assume some of you probably use Goodreads, how do you use it? This is my stuff.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Gideon, I've been thinking of integrating something like this to MobileRead. Wouldn't it be fun?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Oh yes, certainly! But only if I can import a list of ISBN's... cause no way I'm doing that by hand! :grins:

And the community here is a lot more active.

I was hoping GoodReads would be good place for me to find book recommendations, but so far it's not the case. My reading preferences are rather eclectic so I'm having a hard time finding a niche.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Oh yes, certainly! But only if I can import a list of ISBN's... cause no way I'm doing that by hand! :grins:
Absolutely. I wouldn't want to type it in myself, being a lazy slob sometimes.

I'll keep you informed about the process!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I think that level of integration would be fantastic.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I recently found Goodreads and I'm really impressed by the site. Being able to import my list from Delicious Library was also a huge help (didn't want to put in almost 600 books by hand!)
Also be sure to check out AllConsuming and LibraryThing, and I am sure there are many more of these types of site.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

LibraryThing just didn't do it for me, for some reason.

I really like how AllConsuming is setup, but there does not seem to be an import feature.

Also, anyone know anything that works like this for movies/music?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
I love Goodreads too; I started putting all my 2008 reads and more there to keep track of them - user name Liviu as here

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1229019

Library Thing just did not work for me for some reason.

I try and add mini-reviews to all the books I've been reading since I started making the list, and I added listings for several who are e-only and are not found in their databases.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I also use Visual Bookshelf on facebook to keep a list of books I own, have read, plan on reading, want to borrow, reviews, etc.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
jakewastaken
Media Whore.

Quote:
LibraryThing just didn't do it for me, for some reason.

I really like how AllConsuming is setup, but there does not seem to be an import feature.

Also, anyone know anything that works like this for movies/music?
LastFM would be worth checking out for music.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Gideon, I've been thinking of integrating something like this to MobileRead. Wouldn't it be fun?
I think this would be a great idea.

Are you done yet?

My parents didn't like me in the car during road trips either.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
LastFM would be worth checking out for music.
Yeah, I use LastFM (though I like Pandora MUCH more for actual music.) I just don't like the simple "up/down" rating system of Last.fm. And it recommends such TERRIBLE music! :grins:
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Hi Gideon,

I've been on Goodreads since the beginning of the year. I really enjoy the site. Of course, as an author, it supplies some promotional visibility for me because people at least see me, but I mostly use the site as a reader.

I like the "to-read" list because I can stick titles here that I am interested in. Because so many books catch my eye, it's a nice list. This way instead of forgetting what I think is interesting, I actually have a place to refer to when I am looking for something to read.

I also peruse the ratings and reviews of the other readers that are my friends. I usually form a reading friendship if I see a review that interests me or someone tends to read the type of books I like. This way I get exposed to new titles on a regular basis and can use a friend's rating to gauge potential quality.

This is my goodreads URL:

http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Tracy_Falbe
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
jakewastaken
Media Whore.

Quote:
Yeah, I use LastFM (though I like Pandora MUCH more for actual music.) I just don't like the simple "up/down" rating system of Last.fm. And it recommends such TERRIBLE music! :grins:
Pandora was going to be my other suggestion. Sorry I didn't have anything new to share with you